Forums are back in action! ×

Unassisted Ghetto GHR's

Waldo

http://youtu.be/b1IfvJRbyaw

Glute Ham Raises, Ghetto GHR's, Natural Hamstring Curls, Russian Leg Curls, Harop Curls.  Lots of names for these things. 

I have been working on these things now for a year, using hand assist to this point.  The first 6 months I had no way of tracking progress, just had to have faith.  Then we got a new scale that I could put under me and test the minimum resistance on my hands in the bottom position, watching the number slowly creep lower and lower.  About 2 months ago I was able to start doing unassisted negatives.

My form isn't great.  I could go deeper,  I have a bit much hinge in the hips.  But its at least acceptable.

This is an awesome exercise, working primarily the hamstrings and the butt.  I feel that it has been the primary contributor to my sprinting speed gains.

Its a bit different than the GHR's you see in the gym.  The GHR machine has the pad on the thighs instead of the primary contract point being just under the knee.  And the GHR machine has a foot board that allows your calves to assist.  This version is way, way, way harder than doing them on the gym GHR apparatus.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

That's awesome. 'Cheating' reps on something this brutal is still solid work. Is your rear contact point your heels? I can't quite tell. I've tried these a few times but the only way I've been able to rig them was by pointing my feet and pushing them as far under the couch as possible. I end up with a mid arch contact point instead of the achilles tendon area that I've seen in demo videos. Nasty negatives.

To find piece with myself
I must first find a piece of myself

Yes, contact point is the heel-Achilles area.  I put a blanket back there for some padding and to prevent the lip of the shelf from putting a lot of force on the Achilles.

It took a while to figure out how to comfortably do them. 

The couch is enough to support you?  When doing these you are basically turning yourself into a human crowbar. 

The rolled up towel goes right under the knee, most of the force goes through it.  Simply kneeling on a pad isn't very good as it restricts kneecap movement.  Putting a towel (or other similar thing) just under the knee takes enough force off to allow the kneecap to freely move, making the exercise much, much more comfortable to do.

currently cutting

don't panic!

The couch is working for now, although it does move a little at the bottom of some reps. It has a hideaway bed in it so it's heavier than normal, plus my negatives are only controlled until I get to a 30-40° angle from the floor so I'm not putting full torque on it yet but I have an 80lb sandbag that I'll put on the couch when I get a little stronger.

yeah most message boards are blocked- for various reasons.

But my bellydance forum... and this one- not blocked.  My sport bike forum- blocked.  Some of my fav fitness sites got kicked too.  

what REALLY REALLY pisses me off- is like- the beer, wine and spirits thread?  it's locked- because it's alcohol and firearms or whatever filter it is.

I got a message the other day (one in a long string of on going ones)... and something in her message flipped the trigger- I just started a new PM and that was it. It's so silly.

We also have "quota" time- like we get 60 minutes a day to visit off site websites- for shopping and shit- or whatever.  it's silly. 

LOL

Heres a photo of the same exercise, albeit with a different source of mass (I use a big bookshelf instead of a truck), elevated knees allowing for more ROM, and better padding.

homemade-glute-ham-raise-1.jpg

You basically hinge at the knee and curl yourself, keeping your hips as locked open as possible throughout.

currently cutting

don't panic!

oh picture showed- cool.

(sometimes they don't- and sometimes it's blocked- and other times- like my photobucket pictures there is just a blank space- it's very annoying b/c sometimes I don't know if it's a mispost- or I can't see) 

that's awesome.

I haven't heard of those- I'll have to give this a shot and see how it goes!!!

I realized the other day- I really REALLY needed to work my hammy's- got a cramp.  I won't tell you how though ;)

I-Jo, when you try these for the first time, start at the top and do a negative with your hands already in front of you ready to catch you. My first attempt I nearly face planted into the carpet because my hands were at my sides and my reaction time wasn't as good as I thought.

I-Jo, when you try these for the first time, start at the top and do a negative with your hands already in front of you ready to catch you. My first attempt I nearly face planted into the carpet because my hands were at my sides and my reaction time wasn't as good as I thought.

Yes. 

Hands must be in front of you for a while.

At first these suckers are scary.  It feels like they are going to rip your hamstrings/tendons, you will get some epic cramps, and without your hands in front of you, failure (likely) will lead to a broken nose.  Granted all of these things go away with regular practice.

I only do them once a week otherwise I just get too damn sore.  These things are rough on the legs.  Before you can do unassisted reps (wooo), every rep is a negative.  Super heavy negatives are just brutal.

A lot of my work was higher reps half assed effort in order to minimize how rough they are on the legs.  But I also would go all out now and then to strike a balance.

currently cutting

don't panic!

Wow, that looks absolutely brutal.  Going to have to try those.

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

I really want to try these (great job by the way- finally home to watch the video)

but.  A. we just came back from sushi- and we had two carafe's of sake- which means they would either be fucking epic... or I would literally break my nose.

and B.  I have no place to do this.

Tomorrow- I'll find a way to make this happen.  

I actually really REALLY do need to work on this- I really did get a wicked cramp the other day.

Archived