Forums are back in action! ×

Your opinion on Tae Bo

Rexxar Txan

My wife is finally deciding on exercising, needs a little more pusing and proding though.

Anywho, she wants to practice Tae Bo, I bought a Billy Banks Power Tae Bo dvd on my last trip to the States. Yet I read that using weight gloves and all the implements isn't recommendable. This got me wondering if tae bo is a good practice for losing weight. I see that it is a good cardio workout, but I don't see anythings else useful in it.

Any rebels more knowledgeable on this topic who could enlighten me on the pros and cons of Tae Bo? I'd greatly appreciate it!

Lvl 2   Half-Orc Dúnadan Assassin Ranger of the North trained by Aragorn son of Arathorn and Connor Kenway - Slayer of the Witch-King of Angmar - Nazgûl Hunter 

Current Attributes: STR: 6    DEX: 5   STA: 1     CON: 5    WIS: 3    CHA: 5

"Become the most positive and enthusiastic person you know"

"So what's stopping you....? That's right...nothing!"

Bucketlist / Battle Log / Neo-Nerds NF Group / Second Challenge!

it's fun and something different.  work on some mobility too.

if she isn't exercising now- and she likes doing this- have at it.

Are there better ways?  sure- but exercise/training needs to spark people's interest and they need to like it (hence the zumba craze)

so let her have at it- when she stalls (and probably will) direct her in other weighs- you know- the free weights weigh ;)

see what i did there. LOL

My wife started out with it, though now she only goes back to the Tae Bo videos for easy days.

She's moved on to various Turbofire and Insanity videos for cardio videos, with the occasional Kenpo X from P90X.

As an outside observer, Turbofire seems like a Tae Bo / Dance mix

Was able to get her to move toward weights with Chalean Extreme, same lady as Turbofire does it.  Unlike most videos, it actually stresses weights heavy enough to fail in 8 or fewer reps on most exercises, so it seems to be an actual strength program.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

i know billy from back in the 80s when he was a team member on the greatest karate team ever assembled... the transworld oil team and then the budweiser team... billy was a fierce competitor back then, but is regarded a notch below steve "nasty" anderson who is considered the best ever... his signature move in the ring was the front flip kick... :)... in the 90's he made it in hollywood and was training a-list folks like shaq and sinbad...

i can attest that bb was a bad mf-er... and if you listen carefully to what he's teaching and follow what he says you'll get in really good shape... i used to do tae bo in the 90s when I wasn't doing a lot of cardio... i trained karate sparring and lifted... 

here's billy in his heyday... he did get ktfo'd in this fight though...

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

Thanks for the information guys! I just wanted to know if tae bo is a good way to exercise and I see that it is from your answers! I am just happy to see that my wife wants to do SOMETHING, 'cause she usually never wants to exercise. So in that I'll work on keeping her motivated in this.

Lvl 2   Half-Orc Dúnadan Assassin Ranger of the North trained by Aragorn son of Arathorn and Connor Kenway - Slayer of the Witch-King of Angmar - Nazgûl Hunter 

Current Attributes: STR: 6    DEX: 5   STA: 1     CON: 5    WIS: 3    CHA: 5

"Become the most positive and enthusiastic person you know"

"So what's stopping you....? That's right...nothing!"

Bucketlist / Battle Log / Neo-Nerds NF Group / Second Challenge!

Archived