Forums are back in action! ×

what do you guys think about "home work out programs"

Draken273

Just wondering what  you guys think about the "as seen on Tv" programs like Insanity, P90X or Rushfit?

Right now i've started Rushfit, and  judging by the first few workouts, its umm, well its kicked my ass to say the least. 

So what do you guys think about programs like that?

I was born a fool and haven't improved much since. - Lattie Tipton

Dwarven Ranger Level 1

STR:3 DEX:2 STA:3

CON:3 WIS:2 CHA:2

you get in what you put out.

some people really like them becaues it's an actual program. there is tons of information out there so you don't NEED to purcahse iut- but it's very helpful to some people.

If it works and helps you get your duff off the couch- then go for it. no sense not too. i've been using free home work out videos' via youtube for a long time- i just do them at the gym b/c I hate working out at home.

But some of them are great programs.  (some are utter crap) but some are really good.

you get in what you put out.

This.  Anything that someone enjoys and that gets them moving is great.

Sure, they're not going to work for people who don't want to use them (and the Beachbody ones have that fishy "coach" program that gets a lot of complaints, but that's not at all tied to the workouts themselves), and they can't be all things to all people - but if you use them and think they're fun then more power to you!

Wood Elf Assassin
  -- Level 10 --
STR 26 | DEX 13 | STA 19 | CON 7 | WIS 14 | CHA 14

I did Insanity twice last winter. I thought it was a fun break from running and lifting. its cool that there is a test every 2 weeks to see your improvement.

It works better if you have a friend doing the programs too. This helps with motivation and you can discuss who on the videos are hot or not and make fun of the coach's sayings.

USS & NBAC Masters swim coach

Current: lifter, runner

Former: triathlete, cyclocross racer, NCAA swimmer

Current games: Borderlands 2, Runescape, Star Ocean, Dragon's Dogma

Go for it, stick with it, and eat well to see results! I have friends who've done Insanity and swear by it. One friend followed P90x religiously and looks amazing a 6 months later (and keeps getting better). I think any program will work as long as you keep up with it long enough and don't sabotage it with crap eating.

Cee, Level 2 Wood Elf Adventurer of the Earth Kingdom

STR 4.5 . DEX 1 . STA 3 . CON 5 . WIS 8.75 . CHA 4

ch 0|ch 1|challenge 2

I can't get myself to commit to 'at home' programs. I always slack or barter my way out of not doing it. Group classes that I have to sign up (and pay) for, create more accountability for me and often give me better results because "i'm going to sink 1 inch lower in my squat than this chick next to me."

Level 2 Wood Elf. Druid at Heart, Training With the RangersSTR 7|DEX 3|STA 9|CON 5.5|WIS 5.75|CHA 3.5

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/30484-gilfrens-grab-at-great-gams/?hl=gilfren]Challenge Thread

"i'm going to sink 1 inch lower in my squat than this chick next to me."

I keep thinking that, or "I am going to lift 5lb. more than this chick next to me." and than she adds a 25lb. weight on each side! A humbling reminder that the best competition is competing against yourself ;)

Race - Elf                                                STR - 3                    DEX - 2

Class - Ranger                                        STA - 3                    CON - 2

Level - 0                                                  WIS - 3                    CHA - 2

P90X was great for the two weeks I could stick with it... but 1.5 hours a day, every day?!? That's just too much commitment for me... I like being able to lift 3 days a week for maybe an hour max, and then the rest of the time I do physical activities that are fun, like rock climbing, hiking, running, disc golf... I'd rather do something that gets me out of the house than just staying at home.  There's nothing wrong with it, if it's your cup of tea and you can commit, but there are better return on investments out there in my opinion, but ymmv.

LVL 3: Zoran Warrior

STR:9 | DEX:5 | STA:10 | CON:5 | WIS:12.75 | CHA:9

Current Challenge: Not Really A 6 Week Challenge Challenge

Previous Challenges: 1st2nd

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. Good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

I like rushfit cause its relatively short, yet so far has been pretty good for whole body movements. i think its only 45min a day which really isnt a bad and usually ive reached the end of my muscular endurance by the end of it.

I was born a fool and haven't improved much since. - Lattie Tipton

Dwarven Ranger Level 1

STR:3 DEX:2 STA:3

CON:3 WIS:2 CHA:2

I find workout at home programs difficult. When I'm at home, my mind just has this mentality of "you're at home, it's time to be lazy", so I find it VERY difficult to actually exercise at home. When I exercise, I actually have to leave the house. I have to go to the gym, or go to Judo, or go to the nearby public football field or something. I just can't do it at home.

As I-Jo already said - "you get out what you put out". I'm sure those programs like RushFit, P90x etc are very effective and give excellent results... I mean the reviews online seem to be very positive, the advertised workouts look very challenging and I've been told that these programs often give nutritional plans, recommending what you should be eating.

I think if someone follows the program correctly in terms of exercise and nutrition, you will get great results. But if you don't follow it correctly, maybe you won't get the results you're after.

Kinda agree with Cr33g

They are surely good ones, but (for me at least) I'll go for it a few months, very motivated, making some progress, good, everything's fine.

Then progress will slow down, motivation will slow down, then will come the first "ahh... not today but tomorrow I definitely doing it ! and even a bit more"

then come the little guilt to have miss a workout, and next thing you see is yourself in the sofa playing video games everyday of the week, not caring anymore because you have missed so many workouts that numbers do not have a sense anymore :)

Being free in the workout, and doing things you really like, is very important, and specially if you're training at home

It will perhaps be a little bit less efficient, but there is more chances that you'll be able to go on long term

Saiyan in preparation - level 1 : http://streetworkout-france.fr/?p=1230

Drow Monk-Assassin

Intro post

My Battle log

They are surely good ones, but (for me at least) I'll go for it a few months, very motivated, making some progress, good, everything's fine.

Then progress will slow down, motivation will slow down, then will come the first "ahh... not today but tomorrow I definitely doing it ! and even a bit more"

preciesly why I don't work out at home.

well I never get super motivated anyway- I just don't do it.  I am an internet junkie- of the 1st order.  I HAVE to go to the gym.  Second best- and it is a HUGE mental hurdle is going to the park- I have a TRX at this point- well on loan- but at the very least I can go play with that there- I really enjoy that quiet a bit.  But I like the gym- it's a set program- it is what it is.

Archived