Forums are back in action! ×

SNACKS! They call to me

EternalJoker

OK, I'm a snacker, and I read the article on the team snack or team no snack, so I'm definantly on the pro snacks :) Problem is, I cant tell whether I'm bored and just eat or if I'm actually hungry :hopelessness: I know I could pay attention, but by the time I think 'wait, was I really hungry' I'm already finished! We also have LOTS of horrible food around the house (I'm talking rice crispies, cookies and chocolate laying about) so I'm always tempted :moody: Is there anyway I can maybe cut down. I'm 5'3" and I eat more than the guys I know! What is a good way to cut down on snacking in the daytime and if I do snack good (filling) choices

Level 1 Doppelganger Druid

Str 4 Dex 4 Sta 3.5 Con 4 Wis 4.5 Cha 6

"The bond that links true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each others life. Rarely do members of one family grow up under the same roof." Richard Bach

Take up smoking.

No really don't but doing something else with your mouth can be helpful. Next time you're going to snack, have a glass of ice cold water. Chew a pen cap or something. The easiest way to break a habit is to substitute it for something else.

Allons-y!

If deadlifts were easy they'd be called ellipticals.

If you can't fix it with fish oil and squats you're probably going to die. ~ Marshall White

TIME LORD, The Warrior, Level 3: STE: 12, DEX: 12, STA: 5; CON: 5.75, WIS: 9; CHA: 2

Be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Ephesians 6.10

-           -      -   -  -  -  -  -  - - - - - - - -----------------------------------------------

I agree with keeping yourself distracted as being a good strategy. Also be sure that you're eating enough during your meals so that you won't feel the need to snack as much (and then you may have a clearer insight as to when you feel a psychological need to snack as opposed to being hungry).

As far as food choices go, it sort of depends on your goals! If you're looking to lose weight but still have your snacks, veggies and protein are a great option. Heck, veggies and protein are a great option for anyone. I like to come up with flavor combonations that I like, and keep them stocked and handy (ie: tomato and ham, chicken and avocado, greek yogurt and berries, apple and almond, etc).

Level 5 Dryad Druid + Adventurer

STR 7 | DEX 10 | STA 9 | CON 8 | WIS 13 | CHA 10.5

Leo's Dawn of Dragons Challenge

Get rid of the snacky foods, or at least put them away behind a sign that reminds you that you aren't snacking now.

I try to keep the mindset that if I'm hungry enough to make a meal, then I'm hungry.  If I'm not hungry enough to fry up some eggs and bacon and veggies, or heat up some leftover roast, I'm probably not hungry.  This allows me to have weird eating schedules, and still eat when I want.

Searching the world for a cure for my wanderlust.

OK, I know I could pay attention, but by the time I think 'wait, was I really hungry' I'm already finished! We also have LOTS of horrible food around the house (I'm talking rice crispies, cookies and chocolate laying about)quote]

I think these are your main problems. If you finish your snack before thinking about it it is probably not hunger, but more boredom. Remove the easy stimulation of the junk food and find something else to do.

Human Adventurer

Str: 3 | Dex: 2 | Sta:2 | Con:3 | Wis:3 | Cha:2

I've got no strings to hold me down, to make me smile or make me frown...

A big thing that helps me is to log in everything I eat -- and I mean EVERYTHING! I'm less likely to nibble on a slice of pepperoni if it means I have to go all the way upstairs to log in .2 of a serving. Sometimes laziness beats out gluttony.

I second the water recommendation, too. If you like something solid, ice cubes also work nicely!

Lvl 5 Lightbending Bard
STR: 10 | DEX: 10 | STA: 7 | CON: 9 | WIS: 15 | CHA: 5.5
"If the desire to write is not accompanied by actual writing, then the desire must be not to write." - Hugh Prather

Feel free to drop by my current challenge!

I munch on fresh veggies- I eat a green pepper EVERY day at work... I cut it up into slices and it gives me that hand to face connection I like. :)

find a good fresh option to munch on (carrots- or grape tomatoes or peppers or radishes) and that will help- I reserve heavy snacks- almonds cheese or whatever- I put those in little containers and don't keep extra's around. once I eat it- that's it I'm done. 

find out how many calories you want to eat in the day. If snacking pushes you over that limit, stop. If you arent meeting your calorie count, snack away.

USS & NBAC Masters swim coach

Current: lifter, runner

Former: triathlete, cyclocross racer, NCAA swimmer

Current games: Borderlands 2, Runescape, Star Ocean, Dragon's Dogma

two thoughts.

Try an empirical approach. Set yourself a goal of one-week off of snacking. Simply don't do it. Whenever the cravings hit, just remember that it's for science (SCIENCE!). At the end of the week, check your quality of life both 'globally' and on the day-to-day. How much did you miss out on by not snacking. It make be a little, it may be a lot. You may continue to suffer crashes, or you could have evened yourself out. After that, decide what you want to do moving forward.

If you decide to keep snacking (with or without the above experiment) work on portion control. I snack at work because I get distractedly hungry if I don't, but if I'm not paying attention, I will eat an entire container of almonds, or multiple potatoes worth of dried sweet potato chips, or an entire flock of chickens (herd?). I fix this by meting out my ration, cutting them into as small pieces as possible, and putting them in a container where it is difficult to eat more than a couple at a time. I find this way I slowly eat the calories over a long period of time, it keeps my hands busy, my head feeling full, and my stomach under control until I can have a proper meal.

I also try to question every time if I could hold off. Hanger often makes me say "no, do it now" (expletives  deleted vs. what it REALLY tells me) and I go get something healthy.

One day at a time. No excuses. Battle Log | Current Challenge - Bleep All the Things

Archived