Forums are back in action! ×

Guitarists?

I can't remember whether I've already done this but oh well. I'm on a mission to find other guitar players for guitar related discussion (duh). I know Synyster plays, hows the sweet dreams thing going by the way? But anyone else? 

Level 2 Gladiatrix-in-Training

Spartan Warrior 

STR 8; DEX 4; STA 4.75; CON 5; WIS 2.75; CHA 4.5

"A man must accept his fate, or be destroyed by it."

"Do or do not, there is no try."

Myself plays a bit. Heavily influenced by the works of Messrs Blackmore and Gallagher, and it's probably obvious if you heard me messing around. These days it's mostly classical and fingerstyle arrangements of folk and vidyagame music.

It'd be cool to merge guitar, fitness, and nerdage into one discussion. Like how I can't play Final Fantasy songs anymore because my hands are wornout from doing negative pullups all the time. What? It's totally a thing.

Adventurer Lv. 1

20/100 EXP

Loading in at venues where stairs are involved is definitely a workout in itself. There's one venue in Nottingham with 2 flights of stairs, getting an ampeg up there is truly a mission!

I've been playing since I was 18 or so, completely self taught though I started on bass playing along with Pixies and Nirvana records!

Love my band at the moment, so much fun getting together with friends and making a racket! Met loads of good people round the country through gigging and touring too.

Here's a video we made last year, I did it in a weekend, filmed it by attaching a digital camera to our heads!

I play bass guitar.  well...it's actually been a few years but I still know how to play.  I'm pretty much Metal & Rock, can't stand other types of music. 

Some of my influences would be Billy Sheehan (Mr. Big, David Lee Roth, UFO); John Entwistle (The Who); Geddy Lee (Rush); Jason Newstead (Metallica)

"A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye" - Koloth

"Ya can't grill it until ya kill it" - Uncle Ted

"If it ain't Metal...IT'S CRAP!!!" - Dee Snider

I learned how to play on the early- and mid-90's grunge.  I've actually got a lefty Strat signed by Kurt Cobain, gathering dust in the corner.  I need to make time for it, but there's been too much other important stuff for so long.  Also I've been living in tiny apartments, so a lot of my gear is in storage, which doesn't help.

Searching the world for a cure for my wanderlust.

Don't know how I forgot them, but Steve Harris (Iron Maiden) and Geezer Butler (Black Sabbath, Heaven & Hell) and Rex Brown (Pantera) are influences as well. 

"A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye" - Koloth

"Ya can't grill it until ya kill it" - Uncle Ted

"If it ain't Metal...IT'S CRAP!!!" - Dee Snider

heh. I guess I "technically" play, but as freakshow said, I simply haven't made time for it since I started training more seriously.  Also I used to play more when I was in a band, but it's not nearly as much fun playing alone. It's a vicious cycle:  I don't play much because I'd prefer to play with people, but can't play with people because I'm rusty form not playing.  Time to make some time for it!

Scout: STR: 20.5 | DEX: 13 | STA: 28 | CON: 13.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 4

http://51feetunder.wordpress.com/ - Running, Rock & Roll, Rock Climbing and Photography

Fitocracy Profile

Twitter

Latest Challenge

That's awesome, you guys sound great and look like you're having so much fun.

Thank you very much! Creating music with your friends is such a buzz to me, best feeling when something 'clicks' and you just want to keep playing that bit of a song.

heh. I guess I "technically" play, but as freakshow said, I simply haven't made time for it since I started training more seriously.  Also I used to play more when I was in a band, but it's not nearly as much fun playing alone. It's a vicious cycle:  I don't play much because I'd prefer to play with people, but can't play with people because I'm rusty form not playing.  Time to make some time for it!

Try playing with people at a similar stage? In my first band 2 of us had only been learning a few weeks!

I learned how to play on the early- and mid-90's grunge.  I've actually got a lefty Strat signed by Kurt Cobain, gathering dust in the corner.  I need to make time for it, but there's been too much other important stuff for so long.  Also I've been living in tiny apartments, so a lot of my gear is in storage, which doesn't help.

That is fucking awesome dude.

Spartan Warrior 

That is fucking awesome dude.

The tiny apartments?  The "gathering dust in the corner"?

It is pretty awesome, though.  I walked into my favorite little guitar shop in Milwaukee (Wade's, on Oakland, if anyone is interested).  The two employees both knew me by name and would often recommend I check out one thing or another.  Usually I would regret the things they recommended that I didn't get. 

One day I was directed to a lefty American Strat they had just gotten in.  The story was that a guy was playing a festival back in the early 90's and got the guitar signed by Kurt.  Apparently his name was Amir, because the signature says, "Amir who? Kurt D Cobain."  Later, Amir decided to sell it to Wade, of Wade's Guitar Shop, for some cash, or a trade-in or something.  There's no paperwork or verification on it, but I trust the shop, and Wade said that he had been friends with the guy for a long time and believed it was real also.  They may have even known each other when it happened, I'm not really sure.

I love those little local shops, and that one is my favorite.

Wish those little shops existed more! Most of the ones round here have vanished.

What guitar preferences do people here have?

I currently played a modded Fender Jazzmaster, pretty knackered as it was once stolen from a mates car then found in the woods a few days later! Got custom wound pickups in there.

Thinking about getting another guitar too, as after 3 years of fairly regular gigging the above is starting to fall apart, and I've not had a new guitar in 13 odd years! Would probably get another jazzmaster though as I find the shape of them very comfortable to play, and love the sound of the neck pickup..

I've got a Strat rip off, its my first guitar but I'm gathering the funds for a J5 Telecaster or a Dean Michael Amott Tyrant. I love the sound of those humbucker pick-ups. My guitar is decent enough for the simple stuff I can play but in a year or so, I think I'll want to get a better tone.

Spartan Warrior 

I play bass guitar (or at least I used to but I want to get started on it again, I loved it), and I want to start playing guitar and drums. Maybe piano too. One of my goals is to one day independently release an album where I play sing, every instrument, write every melody and lyric, produce it, and design the cover art -- everything. So playing the guitar is definitely something I want to learn.

"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win."

—Mahatma Ghandi

Hi! I'm a guitar player but mostly acoustic. I did purchase a Strat Highway 1 but I ended up not liking it. It was great and easy to play, but the sound just didn't do it for me. So I purchased a Martin DX1. But my Dad is a big guitar player (he taught me) and he has several instruments (including my Highway 1). He's got a beautiful 1975 Martin D18, 2 other Martin's (one called a Shenandoah with beautiful maple top) and a black one with mother of pearl inlays. He's also got the guitar I learned on which was a Sigma classical (nylon strings and wide fretboard are easier to play for newbies). He's got a random banjo too and I think he's still got a ukulele kicking around. I learned in college, played a lot, learned a lot of songs, but I've been out of it for a while. Every once in a while I'll play for a while and it's fun, but mostly it just gathers dust.

Seems like y'all are mostly into electric. I grew up with that Appalachian country sound and that's what I miss about home. So that's what I play.

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

I play a little here and there, not nearly as much as I used to though.  I really only play acoustic.  I have an Epiphone SG (cheap one) but I haven't played it in years and recently gave away my amp.  I used to love playing bass but I don't have an amp for it anymore.  So I stick to my trusty Yamaha six string, every now and then I bust out my Simon and Patrick 12 string, but its such a bitch to tune (and keep in tune!).

I was actually thinking about putting more guitar playing on one of my challenges.  Maybe the next one...

Level 2 Half-Orc Ranger

STR 4|DEX 2.6|STA 5.8|CON 8|WIS 2|CHA 3

MyFitnessPal|My Endomondo

Has anyone else found playing guitar less interesting since you started exercising? I don't seem to enjoy it anymore. After eight years I may just do it out of habit.

Maybe planking tap solos will rekindle my fire.

No, I was losing interest in guitar long before I got fit.  It was probably about the time I started renovating my house, and spending every free moment working on that.

Also, I don't appreciate music like I used to- I barely even listen to music anymore.  I don't appreciate it as background noise, and there's always something going on, or that needs to get done.

Has anyone else found playing guitar less interesting since you started exercising? I don't seem to enjoy it anymore. After eight years I may just do it out of habit.

Maybe planking tap solos will rekindle my fire.

I've found I sometimes have to choose between my guitar and my fitness if I've got no time, but I still love playing and I try to fit in at least 20 minutes a day.

Spartan Warrior 

i play and have been quite serious about it for about a year now. I wouldn't say that i'm that good yet, but def making some progress. i prefer Tele's, Strats, but my favorite guitar at the moment is a Delta King. I'm really into Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, and other early rock stuff like that. i've actually included guitar playing in my last challenge. :D

Great thread by the way! 

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

Archived