Forums are back in action! ×

Guitarists?

Multi-instrumentalist been playing for 7 years.  3rd favorite instrument to play, right under drums and piano.  Lots of Fender folk here!  Good to know, haha.  My Fender Jaguar is my favorite guitar.  Makes the rest seem so meh

Hi! I'm a guitar player but mostly acoustic. I did purchase a Strat Highway 1 but I ended up not liking it. It was great and easy to play, but the sound just didn't do it for me. So I purchased a Martin DX1. But my Dad is a big guitar player (he taught me) and he has several instruments (including my Highway 1). He's got a beautiful 1975 Martin D18, 2 other Martin's (one called a Shenandoah with beautiful maple top) and a black one with mother of pearl inlays. He's also got the guitar I learned on which was a Sigma classical (nylon strings and wide fretboard are easier to play for newbies). He's got a random banjo too and I think he's still got a ukulele kicking around. I learned in college, played a lot, learned a lot of songs, but I've been out of it for a while. Every once in a while I'll play for a while and it's fun, but mostly it just gathers dust.

Seems like y'all are mostly into electric. I grew up with that Appalachian country sound and that's what I miss about home. So that's what I play.

those sound like some beautiful guitars!  I've got a Martin OMCPA4.  Martin makes some lovely sounding acoustics.

"You don't life for be sad, no?"

Has anyone else found playing guitar less interesting since you started exercising? I don't seem to enjoy it anymore. After eight years I may just do it out of habit.

Maybe planking tap solos will rekindle my fire.

Not yet. Though I do train at lunchtimes so it's not really a time issue for me.

(It also has the bonus of being able to look lots more badass when playing guitar shirtless. Feels much more comfortable, and means I don't knacker as many tshirts!)

Multi-instrumentalist been playing for 7 years.  3rd favorite instrument to play, right under drums and piano.  Lots of Fender folk here!  Good to know, haha.  My Fender Jaguar is my favorite guitar.  Makes the rest seem so meh

I love the Fender offsets, find them so comfortable to play. My bandmate's just got a thinline Jaguar, it's BEAUTIFUL.

Yesterday I took the plunge of a new guitar- got myself a used Lee Ranaldo jazzmaster. Can't wait for it to arrive!

Means I can finally sort my current JM one. Gonna get it refinished and refretted, and get my guitar tech to rewire and shield it.

I play a Godin Freeway classic, which is a kind of Telecaster shaped, Les Paul sounding beast that doesn't sound like either, but covers all my bases musically. I also play an Electra X270, which my dad played through the 80s and gave me when he quit playing actively. Musically, I'm a cross between James Hetfield and Jerry Cantrell, so thrash/hard rock are huge influences.

Here's the X270, it's wicked...

http://www.rivercityamps.com/electrapage/comments.php?y=07&m=11&entry=entry071128-041152

As I think about it, I guess I've been playing for 20 years? I'm 32, but i started when I was 11 or 12 years old. I also drum and sing, so I'm threatening to be a 1 man operation!!  I've had bands along the way, but these days I mostly record covers in my basement, for fun. Once the kids are asleep, anyway...

"if unwilling to rise in the morning, say to thyself, 'I awake to do the work of a man.'"  - Marcus Aurelius

"[...] and having made the attempt, you must succeed in it. 'Must' is the word." - Abraham Lincoln

Guest asdf

Has anyone else found playing guitar less interesting since you started exercising? I don't seem to enjoy it anymore. After eight years I may just do it out of habit.

Maybe planking tap solos will rekindle my fire.

You might just need to find yourself a new angle to approach guitar with. I was losing interest after playing for over a decade and then found ragtime and blues fingerpick styles, which I now consume rabidly. I've also found that learning a bit of theory has opened up the doors for creativity and writing some music/creating sounds and stuff.

My point is that doing the exact same thing on guitar year after year gets boring and sometimes you need to reinvent your playing style with something new and exciting to get that fire burning again. Professional musicians do it all the time.

Guest asdf

I play acoustic pretty exclusively(though I'm super envious of my friend's PRS electric. That thing plays like butter and sounds like a dream). I've got a 6 string Larrivee that I bought myself senior year of high school after saving for seemingly an eternity and a nice Alvarez 12 string. Been playing around a decade now since age 13 or so and took lessons for a good amount of that time but I'm also partially self taught. 

My musical interests are pretty eclectic, so my playing is too. Jazz, rock, folk, ragtime, blues, country, doesn't matter the genre. If I hear a song from a genre I like, I'll learn to play it. It's not uncommon that you'll hear me go from playing the pink panther theme song right into something by nirvana and then without skipping a beat start playing some old ballad love song before heading into brad paisley's hilarious "I'm gonna miss her". I think it makes life more interesting and it sure keeps everyone else who is listening on their toes.

I'm thinking of picking myself up a decent ukelele in the foreseeable future and starting to plink away with that. Its hard to not want to when things like this exist 

Hey! I play guitar too... sort off! They are kinda gathering dust there, I strum them once in a while I guess. Do love music and plan on making some in the future. I'm enjoying learning keyboard and just orchestrating and arranging in general. we'll see how that goes. I guess felt a bit bored with the instrument but it could be a phase. Anyways, just glad to hear there are musically inclined nerds arounf here! Sorry for the quickie post, gotta head home from work now!

Don't worry about getting buff and a guitarist.  Just be like Kane Roberts!!!

http://www.kaneroberts.com/images.html

And of course, we can't forget John Petrucci...  The dude is a beast of a player, and still manages >18" biceps while on the road.

http://www.allaxess.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/imported/john-petrucci.jpg

"if unwilling to rise in the morning, say to thyself, 'I awake to do the work of a man.'"  - Marcus Aurelius

"[...] and having made the attempt, you must succeed in it. 'Must' is the word." - Abraham Lincoln

i play too. not that well, but i play. i have a martin acoustic and a gibson les paul jr. :) 

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

How you like them humbuckers on the les paul?

i like them. but this is my first electric, so nothing to compare it to -- however, i did specifically buy this guitar for the sound it makes, dry.

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

I've been playing acoustic guitar off and on for about 15 years now. I've been carrying around the same fender for the last 10.

I don't find that I have as much time as I would like to really play. I have so much music floating around that I find it rather overwhelming when I do drag my stuff out.

Living in an apartment means I have no place to have my guitar out all the time and once it gets put away, I forget about it for a while. I think I will invest in a wall hanger when I get home and make myself look it it. Maybe I'll play more if that is the case.

"Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform. "-Mark Twain
“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.†– Winston Churchill
“You will either step forward into growth or you will step back into safety.†– Abraham Maslow

Wood Elf Adventurer LEVEL 6.817
Stats: STR-18.62 DEX-8.22 STA-19.05 CON-29.72 WIS-30.26 CHA-22.73

I'm going to have to get the spouse on this thread. He's been playing for 13~ years and we have enough guitars around that I'm usually in danger of tripping over them.

sounds like my house :D

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

Archived