Forums are back in action! ×

"Becoming a Supple Leopard" already rated 90+ times?

I recognized the names of a number of reviewers - Various coaches at SF Crossfit, people who've made guest appearances on the MobilityWOD, whom I'm guessing got early copies for the purpose of generating buzz.  And I'm sure a good portion of the reviews are semi-legit or early so they can get in on the most recent raffle Kstar announced ;)

There's a raffle! That's my second favorite -affle word! 

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I didn't even hear about this until today, instaordered when I did.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I didn't even hear about this until today, instaordered when I did.

Be prepared to feel guilty about your lack of mobility. I finished chap 1 and instantly started rolling and mobilizing my sticky points. 

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Money is a little tight right now, but I ordered it too.  I'm hoping I can use some of it to fix myself, and more importantly, fix my wife, who always seems to have back problems.  If it works, I don't thinks she'll mind the money spent.

Searching the world for a cure for my wanderlust.

first I've heard of this.

what's the hype?

KStarr is to mobility what most of us around here consider Rippetoe to be to barbell lifting, probably even better.  Very good at breaking mobility down and teaching it to noobs, effective, and has awesome videos. I'm anticipating the book to be to mobility what Starting Strength is to barbells, but that's just me.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

first I've heard of this.

what's the hype?

Kelly Starrett, the maker of mobilitywod.com and all those extensive videos on mobility issues released a book. He's a pretty swell guy and knows his stuff. If you've never been to mobilitywod.com then I highly recommend you check it out. Or just google search mobilitywod + achy part of your body and get some really good tips and instruction on how to fix things. 

KStarr is to mobility what most of us around here consider Rippetoe to be to barbell lifting, probably even better.  Very good at breaking mobility down and teaching it to noobs, effective, and has awesome videos. I'm anticipating the book to be to mobility what Starting Strength is to barbells, but that's just me.

Yeah that's an apt comparison. He breaks things down quite nicely in the book.  

I slacked off and didn't order this until a few days ago but yeah, my opinion of SS has waned in recent years so I'll go ahead and say that I expect this book to be way better than that haha.

Eat. Sleep. High bar squat. | Strength is a skill, refine it.
Follow my Weightlifting team's antics: Instagram | Facebook | Youtube
Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs

So you would recommend this to someone dealing with chronic back and IT band pain and various other athletic and posture related injuries?

USS & NBAC Masters swim coach

Current: lifter, runner

Former: triathlete, cyclocross racer, NCAA swimmer

Current games: Borderlands 2, Runescape, Star Ocean, Dragon's Dogma

So you would recommend this to someone dealing with chronic back and IT band pain and various other athletic and posture related injuries?

Yup. Doesn't hurt to look it through. Also there is a 50 page preview you can get here. Read it and see if it is worth getting. 

I slacked off and didn't order this until a few days ago but yeah, my opinion of SS has waned in recent years so I'll go ahead and say that I expect this book to be way better than that haha.

Mine has too, but that's because I'm getting more into the intracacies of lifts for power lifting and the book was written for beginners looking to increase athletic performance.  It's still a great intro to lifting though, people just shouldn't refer to it as a barbell lifting form bible, especially past the novice stages.

500 / 330 / 625

Mine has too, but that's because I'm getting more into the intracacies of lifts for power lifting and the book was written for beginners looking to increase athletic performance.  It's still a great intro to lifting though, people just shouldn't refer to it as a barbell lifting form bible, especially past the novice stages.

Yeah pretty much. When I say it has waned it's my tactful way of saying no one should be subjected to it outside of a purely academic exercise haha. I used to tolerate Rip and his approach but the wackier he gets the more I default to the ain't no body got time fo dat position.

Luckily with the rise of people like Everett, SS isn't the only go to text on the barbell lifts anymore. Beginners are better served studying the strength assistance exercise portions of his books than learning how to good morning squat from an angry old man.

</rant>

Eat. Sleep. High bar squat. | Strength is a skill, refine it.
Follow my Weightlifting team's antics: Instagram | Facebook | Youtube
Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs

Everett... Will have to add that to my jdanger reading list if I ever get around to it.

500 / 330 / 625

Everett... Will have to add that to my jdanger reading list if I ever get around to it.

If you want to read up on olympic lifting techniques Everett's book is a very good introduction. 

I seriously have too many books. I blame jdanger and his darn list. 

This link is literally in my bookmarks as "jdanger reading".: http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/17768-order-of-lifts/?p=279056

500 / 330 / 625

This link is literally in my bookmarks as "jdanger reading".: http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/17768-order-of-lifts/?p=279056

Heh, I've got about half those books, plus the rest are wishlisted. My book collection may fall into collecting underpants. But darn it I wants to know it all! 

Archived