Forums are back in action! ×

"Becoming a Supple Leopard" already rated 90+ times?

time to weigh in!!!

Yes, advance copies of the book were distributed.  I held one in my hot little hands about 2 weeks ago. 

The book is co-written by Glen Cordoza - who is equally awesome.  He also worked on Brian Mackenzie's book. 

Glen and Kelly are really proud of this book!  They worked really hard on it.

Can I post my pics with Kelly here?  Ha ha ha  He's so smart (honestly) and does a really great job distilling information for use by advanced athletes and novices.  I was in a workshop with him and people there who never work out were blown away.  Athletes were blown away.  it was great.

Everett's books are amazing as well and I love Catalyst Athletics. 

and Yeah, Rip's grumpy.  I just finished a seminar with him too.  He has a very different approach to the world. 

I have to tell you I had very different experiences with both Kelly and Rip.  Both are super smart but I had very different experiences.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

time to weigh in!!!

Yes, advance copies of the book were distributed.  I held one in my hot little hands about 2 weeks ago. 

The book is co-written by Glen Cordoza - who is equally awesome.  He also worked on Brian Mackenzie's book. 

Glen and Kelly are really proud of this book!  They worked really hard on it.

Can I post my pics with Kelly here?  Ha ha ha  He's so smart (honestly) and does a really great job distilling information for use by advanced athletes and novices.  I was in a workshop with him and people there who never work out were blown away.  Athletes were blown away.  it was great.

Everett's books are amazing as well and I love Catalyst Athletics. 

and Yeah, Rip's grumpy.  I just finished a seminar with him too.  He has a very different approach to the world. 

I have to tell you I had very different experiences with both Kelly and Rip.  Both are super smart but I had very different experiences.

HOW DO YOU HAVE TIME TO GO TO SO MANY COOL SEMINARS! 

I tried to get in with Kstarr in Dallas but they always sell out. 

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

This link is literally in my bookmarks as "jdanger reading".: http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/17768-order-of-lifts/?p=279056

Sooo now I have another like 5 books to check out...

I am excited for this book, this is the first I have heard about it, but I have read all kinds of books on strength training, diet, and athlete physiology... but nothing that relates to mobility and I know I could use more of that!  Now if only there was a kindle version of the book...

LVL 3: Zoran Warrior

STR:9 | DEX:5 | STA:10 | CON:5 | WIS:12.75 | CHA:9

Current Challenge: Not Really A 6 Week Challenge Challenge

Previous Challenges: 1st2nd

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. Good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

HOW DO YOU HAVE TIME TO GO TO SO MANY COOL SEMINARS! 

I tried to get in with Kstarr in Dallas but they always sell out. 

I did Kstarr as part of a vacation.  Rip's I did over a weekend on my own w/o spousal unit.  Yeah, they sell out fast.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

post office was holding ours hostage!  Spousal unit freed it today!

I am already suppler just thinking about it.

I AM going the distance

Mine just arrived. This thing is huge! If anyone is turned off by the price don't be. I've purchased smaller textbooks for twice the price.

Werd. And the info is way more accessible than some of those text books. 

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Oh good, mine has shipped. I am going to harass my mailman tomorrow if I catch him.  I am waiting on a teefury shirt, NF swag (man tank and hat), and mah guide to being bendy.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I'm almost afraid to open mine... I drank some beers last night and figured it was a bad idea to combine the two

I AM going the distance

It's here! Along with my overly tight NF tank and perfectly fitting hat. We only get 1 sticker now?

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Luckily with the rise of people like Everett, SS isn't the only go to text on the barbell lifts anymore. Beginners are better served studying the strength assistance exercise portions of his books than learning how to good morning squat from an angry old man.

The fact that he's an angry old man is part of why I love him. 

That said, I just started reading Supple Leopard and I'm amazed so far.  Even if I've heard a lot of this on mobilityWoD, it's nice ot have it asll in one place that I can search by body part.  The search function on MobilityWoD has never been ideal. 

Level 3 Human Ranger
STR: 9 DEX: 5.25 STA: 14.5 CON: 5.5 WIS: 16 CHA: 5.5 
My Current Challenge

I don't have my book on me and want to lacrosse ball my quads while sitting at my desk at work.  Can someone tell me if, when pressure waving, you go with the grain of the muscle (up and down the quad) or across it (back and forth on the quad).

500 / 330 / 625

Always across it.

(Unless the area is too narrow to go across it, like say, you're digging into the tissue between the bones of your forearms.)

Thanks, that's what I was affraid of...

500 / 330 / 625

While I'm sucked in here...

I preordered Kstarr's book back in April and read through it pretty much cover to cover. It's true that a lot of this info is on mobilitywod.com, but it's much easier to access in book form. He also goes into more detail about exactly how each mobilization works and what specifically it helps. Helpful as his videos are, I found the book much more helpful.

But the best part of the book is his section on proper form for a bunch of different exercises. I never knew exactly how Kelly Starrett teaches a back squat. Now that I have the book, I know. Along with a proper front squat, deadlift, ring dip, pull-up, burpee, kipping pull... and if I have form problems, I have a tool I can use to fix them. Definitely going to be singing this book's praises for a while.

Cowardly Assassin
Training Log | Challenges: Current8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st

While I'm sucked in here...

I preordered Kstarr's book back in April and read through it pretty much cover to cover. It's true that a lot of this info is on mobilitywod.com, but it's much easier to access in book form. He also goes into more detail about exactly how each mobilization works and what specifically it helps. Helpful as his videos are, I found the book much more helpful.

But the best part of the book is his section on proper form for a bunch of different exercises. I never knew exactly how Kelly Starrett teaches a back squat. Now that I have the book, I know. Along with a proper front squat, deadlift, ring dip, pull-up, burpee, kipping pull... and if I have form problems, I have a tool I can use to fix them. Definitely going to be singing this book's praises for a while.

I don't like some of his set up stuff, especially deadlift, but a lot of it is very good.

500 / 330 / 625

I used to use the Starting Strength method for the deadlift setup, and haven't yet looked seriously at Kstarr's. any particular things to watch out for?

He has you set your back and get tight before ever bending down to the bar. I feel like setting up , getting tight, and pulling the slack out of the bar is important to do once you're down there, but that's me.  He's under the impression that you can't set a neutral spine once your down there.

500 / 330 / 625

I used to use the Starting Strength method for the deadlift setup, and haven't yet looked seriously at Kstarr's. any particular things to watch out for?

He has you set your back and get tight before ever bending down to the bar. I feel like setting up , getting tight, and pulling the slack out of the bar is important to do once you're down there, but that's me.  He's under the impression that you can't set a neutral spine once your down there.

Archived