Forums are back in action! ×

Fitness Inspirations.

I'm curious. When you guys have no motivation left or you just need a metaphorical kick up the backside, what do you turn to for some hardcore fitness motivation? Lots of guys I know use the film 300 to get a 'testosterone rush' as they say, but what about you guys? Films? TV shows? Fictional Characters? Even youtube videos. What gets you guys up and pumped to kick ass?

Level 2 Gladiatrix-in-Training

Spartan Warrior 

STR 8; DEX 4; STA 4.75; CON 5; WIS 2.75; CHA 4.5

"A man must accept his fate, or be destroyed by it."

"Do or do not, there is no try."

There's really a handful of things that get me going: 

1) Knowing that CoreyD, WizardTrip, and spezzy can out DL me. 

2) Knowing that this_is_seth can out squat me. 

That's about it. Those guys and gal are my inspiration to not be a lazy ass. No tv, film, or music can get me going more than knowing that they are working harder to get better and so should I. 

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I look in the mirror and think about what I want to look like. I think about how I'm feeling and how I want to feel.

Certain songs get me pumped up.

USS & NBAC Masters swim coach

Current: lifter, runner

Former: triathlete, cyclocross racer, NCAA swimmer

Current games: Borderlands 2, Runescape, Star Ocean, Dragon's Dogma

Motivators:

1. The thought of being strong and fit enough to do things I couldn't do ten years ago. Ten years ago I was obese. Now I am still overweight, but I can hold a plank for 60 seconds, do pushups, even cartwheels. If someone asked me ten years ago if I'd be willing to try doing a headstand I'd look at them like they were nuts. Now I'm working on finding my balance on the headstand.

2. The thought of being the best father I can be for my children. The best way for me to teach them to live a healthy lifestyle is for me to live that way. Also, I want to be able to play with them and have all sorts of adventures with them - the kind I never had. And if I can do the same for my future grandkids, why not?

3. The NF community. Need I say more? You guys rock!

OtakuBosatsu

Level 1 Lycan. Druid/Monk at heart, training with the Assassins
STR 7|DEX 5.75|STA 4|CON 3|WIS 3.75|CHA 3

My blog, "Zen, Music, and Movement": http://raffyayaladvo.wordpress.com/

I go to the gym and watch my friend smashing it out.

or I watch YouTube get inspired with a new exercise to try.

or go watch people at Wal-Mart and realize I never want to be them.

"I will do today what you won't so tomorrow I can do what you can't"

high school running motto... Been using it lately to make it happen.

or go watch people at Wal-Mart and realize I never want to be them.

LMAO!

Ive never seen so many people who cant walk on their own outside of a hospital!

USS & NBAC Masters swim coach

Current: lifter, runner

Former: triathlete, cyclocross racer, NCAA swimmer

Current games: Borderlands 2, Runescape, Star Ocean, Dragon's Dogma

The cost of future medical bills if I stay obese.

The fact that I used to have trouble finding clothes that didn't look like they were made with rejected curtains in stores. (seriously, fat women clothes used to suck, and most of them still do.)

The coming apocalypse (joking...or am I?)

Human Adventurer

Str: 3 | Dex: 2 | Sta:2 | Con:3 | Wis:3 | Cha:2

I've got no strings to hold me down, to make me smile or make me frown...

The cost of future medical bills if I stay obese.

The fact that I used to have trouble finding clothes that didn't look like they were made with rejected curtains in stores. (seriously, fat women clothes used to suck, and most of them still do.)

The coming apocalypse (joking...or am I?)

Ah yes, we are all secretly preparing for the coming apocalypse. All that will survive are NF members and cockroaches... 

One of my many motivators is: I like to ask myself, if I was a tribute, could I win the Hunger Games? 

Spartan Warrior 

There's really a handful of things that get me going: 

1) Knowing that CoreyD, WizardTrip, and spezzy can out DL me. 

2) Knowing that this_is_seth can out squat me. 

That's about it. Those guys and gal are my inspiration to not be a lazy ass. No tv, film, or music can get me going more than knowing that they are working harder to get better and so should I. 

I'm with bigm on this one. Competition is one of my major drivers and I want to be in the top 5 of all the big 3 lifts on the NF leaderboards and as close ot the top as I can get. One of my biggest drivers this year has been the deadlift competition between he, wizardtrip and I and in pursuit of that I have had my best 3 months of lifting gains I've ever had. Before that it was out squatting Seth.

I find it hard to find internal motivation because I also have an internal drive to eat all the things and NOM all the sugar, to be fat and happy. It battles with the me wanting to be strong and healthy constantly.  I need that external drive, that competition, to push the slider in the fitness direction.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

You guys! Joining the NF community was like, damn, I'm not doing enough.

Also, I have certain dreams that I'm chasing right now. They may either STAY dreams or they might become a reality if I change the way I look and feel. So I guess that's my biggest motivator. I've come a long way, I got a tiny bit to go, I can do it.

Level 3 - Half-Elf Warrior, STR - 5 | DEX - 1 | STA - 6 | CON - 5.5 | WIS - 3.5 | CHA - 5

I know where I'm going, and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want. ~  Ali

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

LMAO!

Ive never seen so many people who cant walk on their own outside of a hospital!

I watched a guy at our conference on Tuesday- he was so obese.... I got there a little late- light breakfast was 8-830... speaking started at 830- I got there at 845. So I KNOW he already ate.  he ambled over- got two muffins- or mini bagels- and slathered them with tube butter or cream cheese- in this process he dropped a napkin- and it took him 3 tries- the bouncing bend over efforts- hand on the table and all to get this napkin up.

Less than 1.5 hrs later he was back for more.  To be fair there was NO protein outside some yogurt there- so pure carbs (light breakfast my big white ass) but yeah- I was like- seriously- you don't see an issue with what just happened- completely oblivious it seemed. I felt sorry for him- sort of. 

I like this. Ima steal it.

go for it- it's a great motivator.

I'm with bigm on this one. Competition is one of my major drivers and I want to be in the top 5 of all the big 3 lifts on the NF leaderboards and as close ot the top as I can get. One of my biggest drivers this year has been the deadlift competition between he, wizardtrip and I and in pursuit of that I have had my best 3 months of lifting gains I've ever had. Before that it was out squatting Seth.

I find it hard to find internal motivation because I also have an internal drive to eat all the things and NOM all the sugar, to be fat and happy. It battles with the me wanting to be strong and healthy constantly.  I need that external drive, that competition, to push the slider in the fitness direction.

I have always worked out- and always will.  I am always pushing to be a better version of me.  I never work out with anyone- and this forum is now the most competition that I'll get- but yeah- it's on like mother fucking donkey kong as long as I can get my shit straight. 

I LOVE competing- it's ridiculous- even pushing shopping carts get out of control.  I'm surrounded by loving dancers where NOTHING is a competition- and it's sometimes hard.  I feed off of it- I'm glad we have this place here so I can channel a little LOL  

And besides every great story starts with "here hold my beer... .watch this..."  and that's ALL about some competition. :D

Usually I turn to high end steroids and cocaine. 

Kidding. 

I was going to say "all the doping in bike racing gets me stoked to be my best"

but this will do it for now.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

If I'm near a PC, then anything vaguely athletic/fun.

http://www.alphawarrior.com/elite-athlete-trial (just saw this)

watching a lot of bro science/elliot hulse at the moment.

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

Back when I was obese, I saw this incredible video:

'Oh man, I wish I could do a fraction of what he does...' Back then I considered it impossible to even lose weight, so doing something Damien Walters-style was absolutely out of the question.

But now? Well, now I'm not so sure. Each day I eat right and tackle my workouts in hopes that someday, somehow, I actually can do a fraction of what he does.

"The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it." - Felix Baumgartner

Lvl 5 Lightbending Bard
STR: 10 | DEX: 10 | STA: 7 | CON: 9 | WIS: 15 | CHA: 5.5
"If the desire to write is not accompanied by actual writing, then the desire must be not to write." - Hugh Prather

Feel free to drop by my current challenge!

I like going in powerlifting competitions. Training for a comp is motivating! It gives your workouts a *purpose*, a nice concrete one you can see and measure, beyond your own body.

The nice thing about competitions - be they lifting, running, or whatever, is that they provide two important aspects to your goal:

1. A standard way to measure yourself, and

2. A time-bounded target

Moving from "I want to get better" to "I need to hit this target by this date" adds an additional level of urgency and energy for many people.  There's no doubt that the competition my gym had(where there were various lifts and endurance events) was a catalyst for me to improve my 5k time to a PR, and gain speed more quickly than at any time during the recent past.

The other part is that competitions(where someone else is judging) gives you a great standard "ruler".  Your 5k course is the same as everyone else's, you have to hit the same requirements for squat depth as everyone else, and so on.  When someone else is doing the judging, there's no shortcuts - your performance will speak for itself.

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

there is a great video that get's me pumped every time- it's a coach who giving a motivational speech and tells a story of a young athelete who goes to the guru- and he has him meet him by the edge of the ocean (lake river whatever) and has him walk into it- and keep walking into it... all the way up to his head.

and he says when you want it as badly as you want to breath- that's when you know. 

The whole video inspires me- not just the words- but watching the guy work- there are pro athletes training and they are just fantastic.  Pump me up every time!

there is a great video that get's me pumped every time- it's a coach who giving a motivational speech and tells a story of a young athelete who goes to the guru- and he has him meet him by the edge of the ocean (lake river whatever) and has him walk into it- and keep walking into it... all the way up to his head.

and he says when you want it as badly as you want to breath- that's when you know. 

The whole video inspires me- not just the words- but watching the guy work- there are pro athletes training and they are just fantastic.  Pump me up every time!

I love that video! I watched it again yesterday actually. When you want to succeed as much as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful.

Spartan Warrior 

yeah- those crazy push up row spider monkey things... I started including those into my workouts pre-shoulder injury

one of my favorites.  Some dumbass girl... long story- at my gym likes to do a push up variation only. She thinks she's so bad ass. he he heh I do them with 10/15's.

It REALLY get's my blood going watching that video.  gonna watch tonight probably.   It's Friday hammer time!

Today's workout inspiration is how great my ass looks in these jeans. Gotta keep working it to keep it looking this good! (vain yes, true yes, fitting into your clothes better just rocks.)

Human Adventurer

Str: 3 | Dex: 2 | Sta:2 | Con:3 | Wis:3 | Cha:2

I've got no strings to hold me down, to make me smile or make me frown...

Archived