Forums are back in action! ×

Intro AquaDash

Hey, I'm Dash. :) Been visiting the NF blog for a while for inspiration and motivation, and I just happened to check out the forums the other day. I was amazed to see the role play game you guys have got going on, that so cool! :D I really wanna take part! Too bad you guys are mid-challenge. Maybe I'll jump in later, but my next big challenge is happening Saturday, so it's all a bit rushed. Don't want to post a challenge then next day be like, 'oh yeah I did it'.

So, my motivation for exercise is basically just getting to do cool stuff. I've never really struggled with my weight anything, but often I feel like my life is quite boring, I don't get many challenges, I've never travelled etc etc etc. I hit thirty next year, and I just really want to start LIVING, you know? My fictional inspirational characters are Lara Croft (travelling the world, raiding tombs, being an all-round flexible badass!), Rainbow Dash from My Little Pony (seriously, that mare has self-confidence I only DREAM of), and Aragorn (I NEED those navigation and tracking skills!). My dream is to become an explorer of sorts... hiking, long distance running, wild swimming, rock climbing... just exploring nature. :) I love running, and got myself from couch to 5k, and then jogging 5 miles or so... then I took an arrow to the knee (sorry! sorry!!). I tripped over while running, and left a sizeable portion of my knee on a rock. MRI scan says I still have tendonosis, but I should be back to running again soon. But for now I am working on swimming (hence the name). AND LOVING IT! My big challenge on Saturday is a 5k race. I've never ever in my life participated anything official with swimming (I was the slow weak swimmer of the class at school, I learned later than everyone else), so yeah. I'm pretty nervous. But if all goes well I wanna get out and start swimming outside. :)

My biggest weakness is strength. I neglect strength training all the time. It just doesn't 'feel' like exercise to me, probably because I'm so weak I can never do it for more than five mins, and then I feel 'what was the point in that'. So that's something I really need to work on.

My biggest asset is science! :D I'm a PhD student in clinical biochemistry at Cambridge. My research is focused on the role of hormones released from the intestine in obesity and type 2 diabetes. I love reading about nutrition and metabolism. So I guess what I can bring to the Rebellion is critical reading of scientific papers, separating the wheat from the chaff. 8)

Well that's it. Here's a picture of me about to cross Striding Edge in the Lake District last year. :)

post-15735-0-13069700-1366910401_thumb.j

Vixen

Assassin Level 2

Challenge #1, #1.5, #2 , #3 , #4, #5 (current)

Guest Dirty Deads

NERD!! :D  Glad to have someone aboard who understands endocrinology. I struggle to understand the love/hate relationship between insulin and hgh.

I wouldn't worry about traditional strength training if you don't like it. Really swimming IS resistance training.

Hi!

I feel you about really wanting to LIVE! I married young which might have a part in it. I dream of travelling the world and being able to do parlour, rock climbing and all that cool stuff! It is great you finally decided to take part in the action here at NF. I`m sure you`ll have lots of fun! DOn´t worry about the strength training exercises, you can find other activities that you would enjoy more to the same effect.

By the way, Aragorn and Legolas are my fav characters in LoTR!

Lvl 2   Half-Orc Dúnadan Assassin Ranger of the North trained by Aragorn son of Arathorn and Connor Kenway - Slayer of the Witch-King of Angmar - Nazgûl Hunter 

Current Attributes: STR: 6    DEX: 5   STA: 1     CON: 5    WIS: 3    CHA: 5

"Become the most positive and enthusiastic person you know"

"So what's stopping you....? That's right...nothing!"

Bucketlist / Battle Log / Neo-Nerds NF Group / Second Challenge!

I got married at 22... I don't know if that counts as 'young' or not! Luckily my other half is pretty up for adventures. :D Parkour looks so amazing, but I think I'd be terrified to do it. Looks like you need crazy upper body strength for it (I can't even do one full push up), and I would be so scared of breaking something! I used to play roller derby a few years ago, but I ended up quitting that because everyone on my team was breaking their ankles all the time, and I was afraid I would be next! And that's with pads, so I could imagine throwing yourself around without them...

Vixen

Assassin Level 2

Challenge #1, #1.5, #2 , #3 , #4, #5 (current)

I am still working on the push and pull ups hehehehehehehe. But I just want to DO things! Parkour is one of my objectives as I`ve always been a fat kid and asthmatic. I got married at 20 my wife 18. And she isn`t much into adventures or really anything that I like. How me got married is still a mystery to us hehehehehehehe

Lvl 2   Half-Orc Dúnadan Assassin Ranger of the North trained by Aragorn son of Arathorn and Connor Kenway - Slayer of the Witch-King of Angmar - Nazgûl Hunter 

Current Attributes: STR: 6    DEX: 5   STA: 1     CON: 5    WIS: 3    CHA: 5

"Become the most positive and enthusiastic person you know"

"So what's stopping you....? That's right...nothing!"

Bucketlist / Battle Log / Neo-Nerds NF Group / Second Challenge!

Archived