Forums are back in action! ×

Heavy Lifting...

sweetleaf5

I was really motivated by the e-mail "5 Ridiculous Fitness Buzzwords" and I decided to re-evaluate my strength training workout...my right arm is very weak, but even so, I was very excited to find that I can lift a lot more than I thought I could (with both arms)!!

My question is...how do I decide what is a good number of sets/reps to shoot for?  For example I was doing a triceps exercise at 25 lbs doing 3 sets of 15...I found that I can actually do 60 lbs but I only did 2 sets of 5 - is that enough? Do I need to shoot for more reps or less weight?

Thanks!!

Depends on what you're aiming for. If you're shooting for strength gains, then do low reps with high weights. If you're aiming for bulking up and endurance, you'd do lower weight with high reps. I do strength training, so I don't go above 5 reps for 5 sets (the stronglifts program).

I'm sure others will have better input.

Level 3 - Half-Elf Warrior, STR - 5 | DEX - 1 | STA - 6 | CON - 5.5 | WIS - 3.5 | CHA - 5

I know where I'm going, and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want. ~  Ali

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

I'm definitely aiming for strength...and ultimately some weight loss - but mainly strength.

So, 5 sets of 5 reps sounds good to me...how much of a rest in between? 

Also, do most people follow working a particular muscle group at a time?  I like to mix it up when I work out and hit 2 or 3 areas, but if it isn't beneficial I can change.

This website is awesome!!  I learn so much :)

5x5, 3x5, whatever you are comfortable with. Regarding rest - depends on the weight. If you're starting out a little lighter, less rest. Heavier = more rest. I usually wait a couple - three or so minutes between squat sets.

Also I really only do the big compound stuff. Better bang for your buck. Squats, deadlifts, overhead press, bench press. Isolation movements are a waste of time until/unless you really get lean and into aesthetics/bodybuilding/etc. For instance, overhead press works bis, tris, back, grip, abs (yes, abs) etc. instead of just tris :)

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

I'm definitely aiming for strength...and ultimately some weight loss - but mainly strength.

So, 5 sets of 5 reps sounds good to me...how much of a rest in between? 

Also, do most people follow working a particular muscle group at a time?  I like to mix it up when I work out and hit 2 or 3 areas, but if it isn't beneficial I can change.

This website is awesome!!  I learn so much :)

As for rest anywhere between 1-3 min. At light weights you can get away with 60 sec rest, but as it gets heavier 2-3 min is pretty standard. 

Depends on your goals. A lot of people around here use compound barbell lifts which hit multiple areas all at once which is more efficient for time and for strength than isolated movements. Take squats for example, lits alomst all of the lower body, the back, butt, core (abs if you will). The dead lift hits the legs, back, butt, traps. 

Bench and ohp hit the chest arms shoulders lats (to a certain degree) and core as well. 

Add in some pullups/chinups and a routine of deadlifts, squats, and bench/overhead press hits pretty much the entire body in one session. 

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

5x5, 3x5, whatever you are comfortable with. Regarding rest - depends on the weight. If you're starting out a little lighter, less rest. Heavier = more rest. I usually wait a couple - three or so minutes between squat sets.

Also I really only do the big compound stuff. Better bang for your buck. Squats, deadlifts, overhead press, bench press. Isolation movements are a waste of time until/unless you really get lean and into aesthetics/bodybuilding/etc. For instance, overhead press works bis, tris, back, grip, abs (yes, abs) etc. instead of just tris :)

Holy Crap YES ABS! (On the overhead press, that is).

Searching the world for a cure for my wanderlust.

Did my first 5X5 workout last night - focusing on Legs...5 reps seems like so little until you hit midway in the 3rd set...those heavy weights suddenly become VERY HEAVY!!  Worked well though - going to give it the 30 day trial and see how it feels.

Thanks everyone!

I generally rotate between 5x5 and 3x8, depending on whether I'm shooting for strength or hypertrophy. 

5x5 will definitely give you benefits in both areas, though. It really just comes down to personal preference in my opinion.

Jake

Which for hypertrophy?

Total volume is what you aim for when your goal is hypertrophy, 5x5 is slightly higher volume than 3x8.  When taking load into account, 5x5 is applying signficiantly more stimulus to your muscles.

The only thing rep range does is limit total volume; if its too heavy, total workout volume will suffer big time.  The 8-12 rep band is great because it enables a much higher total workout volume due to a less fatigue, expecially if you don't work to failure.

Then again, I don't really see 5 RM work as "heavy" either.  Singles, doubles, and triples have a much higher load stimulus and feel a lot heavier, damn near every rep is a grind, with 5M work you might grind the last rep, but rep speed should be a lot higher through the set.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Archived