Forums are back in action! ×

I don't want to be the person everyone dreads sitting next to anymore

Hi everyone! I found Nerd Fitness looking for beginner weight workouts and once I started reading the blog entries I was hooked. It just seemed so accesible so I'm hoping that I can really learn good workout habits and start changing my body.

Speaking of my body....

I'm currently 5'5" and 285 pounds. Last week I was 296 so I'm headed in the right direction at least. I have always been overweight. When I was a baby, my doctor told my mother that she should watch my weight and it's been a battle ever since. I honestly think that if I weren't so vigilant in my eating I would easily be double my weight. There is precedent for that in my family. I'm recovering from an eating disorder which makes dieting very precarious for me. In fact I don't even call it dieting. I call it lifestyle changes. I eat "from nature" and try not to obsess about the calorie count because the more I count, the less I want to eat and that's no bueno the way that I do it. My doctor has warned me because she said that I've actually slowed down my own metabolism with my habits.

The problem for me is working out. I can manage my diet no problem, but ask me to run on a treadmill and I could burn calories with the whining that I can do. I've been trying though. For the last three months I've slowly been increasing my workouts and trying to be disciplined about it. My body doesn't always cooperate and sometimes it feels like the weight is absolutely craaaaawling off but I have to keep going because I want to know what I can do if I don't break and if I do everything that I can to be a healthier person. It took me a lifetime to get to this weight. It'll take a few years to get it off.

Hey man, i was in the same boat as you before (albeit not as heavy, but 5'6 and 247) you got the motivation, you're talking to the right people and now its on you. but you can do this...just a few things first

-If you cant run, jog, if you cant jog, walk, if you cant walk, crawl, but never give up!
-Also, if you're on the treadmill and it sucks(running/jogging outdoors is easier and a lot more fun IMO) just remember you're doing it for you, to better yourself. Keep a goal in mind and never stop working at it.
-Eat paleo and drink more water than you think; basically as i was told upon joining the army - "If your piss ain't clear, you're wrong."
-working out spikes your metabolism, so if it was slow before it will speed up
-lastly, dont just focus on cardio, if you build muscle your body has to work harder to maintain it and will burn more calories a day by doing nothing

Oh, and i almost forgot....Welcome to the rebellion!

I was born a fool and haven't improved much since. - Lattie Tipton

Dwarven Ranger Level 1

STR:3 DEX:2 STA:3

CON:3 WIS:2 CHA:2

Welcome to the rebellion! You should be very proud of yourself for taking the first steps toward changing your life. Draken273 has it exactly right, if you can't run, jog, if you can't jog, walk. As long as you are doing something that is better than doing nothing. 

I have only been active on the boards here for about two weeks, but I have found it to be a very welcoming and supportive place and I think you will too. 

If I can be of any help, please don't hesitate to ask. 

I look forward to hearing about your progress!

Lvl 8 ◠Half-Elf breaking free of an Ogre’s body ◠Ranger
STR 11.5; DEX 2; STA 19.5; CON 13; WIS 13; CHA 5
Fire Flower Power-up
“Things Do Not Happen. Things Are Made to Happen†– John F. Kennedy

My current challenge

2014 - My Year of Badassery (Battle Log)

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

#1; #2; #3; #4, #5, #6, #7, #8

Archived