Forums are back in action! ×

Here I am

Autumn

Heya. Back in Jan, I made a battle log post about getting off the soda band wagon. I also stumbled upon a very nice member who was cheering me on (faraxk). Then I fell off the face of the earth. Once again, I was dealing with life, and being on the boards here wasn't a priority. I do feel terrible for not checking back in with people and following up here. I was actually quite successful with my soda battle for a couple of months, but then fell off (or got on?) yet again. I've reevaluated my goals and set some new ones for myself, which include a slow reduction of soda until I'm off it again. I'm still dealing with some health issues that have cropped back up, but I'm making improvements. I am going to make more of an effort to log in here and interact with people, because you're all awesome. I do lurk alot, though, so even if I don't say anything or haven't been logged into my actual account, I'm still around ;-) I hope everyone is doing well and leveling up!

I got off soda by drinking carbonated water.

Seriously.

I used to be a 2 bottles a day guy. Then I went on a trip to Europe and they only had carbonated water at my hotel. It was weird at first drinking it.  But now I love it! I believe it's not the sweetness of soda that I liked, but the bubbles. It's just fun to drink.

Ever since then I rarely drink soda. I bought a Sodastream machine and just throw away the syrup. Now I can enjoy that sweet, sweet carbonated water anytime. 

For me getting off sodas was a big step as I drank way too many for too many years to count. How I kicked it was first drinking as much water as I could, which always made me more thirsty so more water. After while I noticed I was only drinking a soda out of habit, so to fix that I got rid of them. Not sure if it will help but figured it couldn't hurt.

Level 3 - Ranger

Current Challenge: At It Again!

Wow, a lot of replies! Thanks, guys. I'm not quoting people, but I am responding to everyone, because I appreciate all of you and you deserve a response, of course.

@Anivair and Stuffofdreams: Both excellent ideas. Especially adding lemon. I tend to want some kind of flavor, but I don't like the after taste I find so frequently in flavored waters, water flavoring packets, etc. Thanks for the tips. :-)

@Jakejoh10: Yeah, a cup of coffee helped me get off the soda for the time frame I managed to kick it. Otherwise, I get pretty bad headaches. More factors for not kicking the soda, is in part due to habit, and in part due to it always being in my face (no pun intended, haha) and everyone offering it to me. When I'm hanging out with family and friends and my focus is just having fun and enjoying the moment, it makes it incredibly hard to me to say no to a soda. I feel like I'm an alcoholic in a bar, lol.

@Sweetleaf5: That's awesome, congrats!

@rogaecia and TxAg_WxNerd: I do notice that when I drink a ton of water through out the day, I have less of a desire for unhealthy beverages. My struggle with drinking soda definitely has to do with habit, as I mentioned above. Not the only contributing factor, but a major one. I think sometimes the brain doesn't really realize why it wants something.

Archived