Forums are back in action! ×

Couch to 5k in 1 day!

cn3wton

So the title isn't really true, I have been using elliptical machines for 20 minutes 3 times a week the past few months before my workout... but it is catchy isn't it?

But anyways I haven't run outside in 6 years! In fact, I have never been much of a runner, like, at all.

So today I downloaded RunKeeper and went for a jog.  One of my challenge goals was to jog around this route without stopping or walking, had to keep up a jogging pace the entire time.  I figured I would get about 1 mile and have to walk.  And I did feel that way.  But I just figured "Ill push myself past this, I can do it".

To say that every step past the 1.5 mile mark was a struggle is 100% truth.

The whole epic tale is in my challenge log.  But basically I ended up pushing myself the entire 3.76 miles at a jogging pace! That's more than a 5k and my first time running outside in years!

I had an average speed of 13 minutes per mile.  The last mile was the worst since my knee injury started to act up a bit.  But I pushed through and completed a goal! I even went for a short walk afterwards haha.

I am hoping to be under 13 minutes per mile next week.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Nice! Congratulations!

Level 1 Human Ranger

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | STA: 4 | CON: 2 | WIS: 2 | CHA:

"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men. Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers. Pray for powers equal to your tasks. Then, the doing of your work shall be no miracle, but you shall be the miracle." - Phillips Brooks

Thanks all. I am probably going to just stick with this distance and work on increasing endurance and speed.  I am no runner, but I would enjoy doing this once a week or so.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Archived