Forums are back in action! ×

Recurring tendinitis--help!

Tamesis Greer

Hello, hoping someone has some advice on this and that this is the right place to post.

My goal is to change my body composition (lose 10lbs and/or lose fat and gain muscle). I've been on a paleo diet for 2 weeks and that is going well. Also doing the workout program in the Rebel Fitness Guide.

My problem is that in the last few years I've had an inexplicable number of tendon and muscle injuries. I have a history of rotator cuff tendinitis, which is currently behaving itself. The DeQuervain's (thumb) tendinitis can be chalked up to a job that involves a lot of computer work. Currently stable. However, since then, I have pulled a calf muscle out of nowhere and ended up with trigger finger in my pinky that won't go away even with rest and Aleve. I'm guessing that something has my body too inflamed for it to heal. I'm hoping the paleo diet will help reduce the inflammation.

Anybody have explanations for, or tips to combat repeated tendinitis injuries? It's a little hard to get strong if I keep injuring myself (and no, I am not doing crazy workouts and I always use good form, so it's not that).

Thanks!

You might want to get your hands on the Trigger Point Therapy Workbook. I've had similar issues with recurring tendonitis, and this is the only thing that's given me consistent relief.  Basically, we tend to develop small knots in our muscles that can cause pain similar to tendonitis. All the stretching and physiotherapy in the world won't do much unless those knots are addressed.  (For example, I have trigger points in my back that cause pain in the front of my shoulder if I move the wrong way.)

Fortunately, the Trigger Point Therapy Workbook gives very detailed instructions on how to identify and treat your trigger points yourself. You can pick up the book for about $15 on Amazon, and a good lacrosse ball for $5.  Those two things will go a long way towards relieving your symptoms.

Nutritionally, I have friends who swear by Paleo for its anti-inflammatory effects. If you don't mind dropping some $$ on a good supplement, USP Lab's Super Cissus is pretty darn good as a general anti-inflammatory.  B complex vitamins and magnesium don't hurt either.  Hibiscus tea is a good source of extra Vitamin C, and it just tastes good.

"If you get into trouble, you can always eat something, blow something up, or throw penguins." - Jim Henson

If it's actually tendonitis and not trigger point stuff, you'll need to rest the area until the pain goes away.  That, occasional icing, and a brace to stop accidental movement during a flare-up was the only thing that helped my wrist tendonitis (currently going on 2 years without a flare-up).

Hard to say whether its straight tendinitis or if trigger points are involved. I forgot to mention I also have a fair number of ganglion cysts, so it's probably mostly tendinitis and inflammation type issues. Trying to work out as much as possible without putting too much pressure on the finger.

Archived