Forums are back in action! ×

Body measurements for strength training?

Well, I'm new to strength training too - I started two weeks ago. I'm obviously not an expert, but here's what I measured:

In terms of my body, I used a tape measure to measure around my:

- neck

- chest/bust

- waist

- hips

- thigh

-upper arm

There're some good websites that tell you how/where to measure.

I also weighed myself and then used an online calculator to estimate my BF% using the DoD method. It's only an estimate, and I used pictures from Steve's article on bodyfat to kind of verify. It's rough, but will hopefully allow me to see/ measure changes. I use free apps or a spreadsheet to occasionally make a pretty progress graph.

Also, take some photos of yourself! I'm addicted to before and 'progress' photos.

In terms of measuring my strength gains, I am just recording my workouts. I use an app on my iPhone called 'Gym Hero,' and the 'Fitocracy' app. If something I did was to failure or particularly difficult, I note it down and then do a happy dance on a subsequent workout when I smash through it. I didn't measure my 1RM on anything because I had no idea what that was at the time :D I'm note sure if it's a good idea for a newbie to try 1RM or not.

My advice would be to just write everything down. If it was really hard or you couldn't lift that weight, write it down so you'll remember that once you couldn't do it and now you can.

That's my newbie advice. I'm sure some of the other awesome warrior nerds here can give you some experienced answers - seriously, they are super knowledgeable.

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

Adventure's Guild Challenge winner: Challenge #24

â•‘ Live the Whole  â•‘ Bucket List â•‘Level up my Lifeâ•‘ 

"Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Every day you're alive is a special occasion."

I wish I would have taken measurements from the beginning just to have them. The DoD is commonly thought of as the most accurate formula out there in terms of measurements, at least from what I've read. Depending on the machine the guy you are going to uses, it could be pretty accurate (such as a bodpod) or terribly not (such as the ones that work by sending electric current through you)..

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

The longer I've been at it, the more thorough I become.

My measurements include:

***Progress pics*** (now I do front relaxed, side relaxed, back relaxed, front double bicep flexed, front abs/chest flexed, and back double biceps flexed)

Weight

Neck

Chest

Flexed abs/core (at the smallest point)

Unflexed super cheated at the belly button

Around the wiidest part of the hip bones (much more relevant when I was fat)

Widest part of the glutes

Right bicep

Right forearm

Right wrist

Left bicep

Left bicep

Left wrist

Right upper thigh

Right mid-thigh quad

Right thigh just above the knee

Right calf

Right ankle

Left upper thigh

Left mid-thigh quad

Left thigh just above the knee

Left calf

Left ankle

(all measurements flexed (w/o pump) unless otherwise indicated)

Its important to always measure the exact same way, flexed tend to be a more reliable data point since it largely removes how hard you pull the tape from the equation.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Archived