Forums are back in action! ×

First Triathlon Woot!

MariahSnow

Hi all,

So on Saturday (4/27) I completed my first triathlon. It was a sprint distance, so 500 meter swim, 12.5 mile bike ride, and 3.1 mile run. I had a min and max goal time. The minimum time was calculated based on how fast I can do each event individually. The maximum time was adding in some fluff in case I had a problem, was really worn out during the run, etc.

Min time: 1 hr 36 minutes

Max time: 1 hr 57 minutes

Actual time: 1 hr 42 minutes.

!!!!!!!!!!!

First, there were a few "unknowns" during my time calculation. I had to run an extra half mile after the swim to get to my bike (that added at least 5 minutes). And my bike was all the way back at the end of transition, so I had to run quite a bit to get out. 

Second, there are a few "records" that I'd like to share. In the pool, I swim 500 m in just over 10 minutes. I did it in 11 minutes in choppy, murky, jellyfish-ridden water, including some panic time when I swallowed a bunch of water and couldn't catch my breath. My fastest 3.1 mile run time is 30:24. I did the triathlon run in 31:43 after exercising for approximately an hour before that.

I finished #23 in my age group (of 54 women). I was in 9th place coming out of the water!! If I had registered as an Athena (160lbs+), I would have finished in 2nd place!!! Next time, I will register like the true goddess I am!

So... I feel like I crushed it and I've been glowing since. I've been doing a lot more weight training than I've ever done and I'm faster and have more endurance than I've ever had. I felt like a million bucks when I was done, not even tired. Ready to go again!

WOOT!!!!!

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

Congrats! Completing a Triathalon is an amazing accomplishment. I couldn't even imagine being ready to go again after something like that! Did you achieve the fabled "Cardio High"?

Keep it up!

Level: 1 [Trandoshan Assassin]

Str: 4 Dex: 3 Con: 2 Wis: 5 Cha: 1 

• [*]All Is Mind.[*]Everything Vibrates.[*]As Above So Below.[*]All things seperate flow back to One.

Congrats! Completing a Triathalon is an amazing accomplishment. I couldn't even imagine being ready to go again after something like that! Did you achieve the fabled "Cardio High"?

Keep it up!

I actually got a caffeine high. Since I swallowed so much seawater, someone recommended that I drink a coke to kill any bacteria I might have also swallowed. And I never drink soda, let alone caffeine. I was wired!

i'll be looking for you at kona one day... :)

I would love to go to Kona just because it would mean I'm in Hawaii! My plans are to do every sprint triathlon in the Houston area this year, and move up to Olympics next year. Then maybe we'll talk about doing a half ironman :)

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

OMG that's awesome- I know you were struggling a little recently with the overwhelmed factor- that's beyond awesome.

I have a lot of respect for people who can do that!!!  You're going to beast it even harder (is that even a proper sentence??) next time!!!

GO YOU WOOT WOOT!

Kick ass!!  As someone that would one day love to participate in a triathalon, I have mad respect for you.  You are a monster!

This might seem crazy, but I think the triathlon was actually easier than I expected it to be for a few reasons. Probably the biggest one is that you are using different muscle groups throughout the race. I've done several 5Ks, 10Ks, two half-marathons, and even a 30K (18.6ish miles!). And while a half-marathon would easily take me more than 2 hours, I would feel so wiped after. I did one in October and my calves were literally screaming and cramping. It was terrible. But I didn't have an ache on my body when I was finished with the triathlon. I did have some tightness in my back the day after.

Also, since January I've been doing a lot more strength training. Squatting heavy weight, deadlifts, lunges with dumbbells, glute bridges with barbell, etc. I think that really helped my muscular endurance. Plus I'm sure my core is stronger and that helps everything from maintaining a good body position while swimming to balancing on the bike. Muscles for the win!!

So long story short - a triathlon is a great goal and I think you should go for it! I followed this training plan and it starts from scratch basically, http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_trainingprograms/10wtp.pdf

OMG that's awesome- I know you were struggling a little recently with the overwhelmed factor- that's beyond awesome.

I have a lot of respect for people who can do that!!!  You're going to beast it even harder (is that even a proper sentence??) next time!!!

GO YOU WOOT WOOT!

Yes, I was crazy overwhelmed. It's hard to do interval sprints for 30 minutes, then do a 45ish minute upper body workout (circuit training style), and then swim 600 meters. All before work at 7:30. Waking up at 5 AM for days and days. Waking up at 6 AM on every Saturday to get in a bike ride. Having to plan every meal and bring plenty of snacks to work to make sure I'm eating enough. Going to bed at like 8 PM. But it was definitely worth it. And now I'm enjoying some sweet and simple 30 minute workouts!

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

That is an awesome result! It's great to find another fellow triathlete, I also finished my first sprint that weekend (750m/20k/5k) in 1:52, so I know what you did is great.

german

monkey scout

"swim, bike, run", or at least "Don’t drown, don't crash, don't walk"

“If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe.†-Joe Rogan

Archived