Forums are back in action! ×

Because I'm a nerd, I want to do some mondo research projects this summer.  I want to look into naval technology and combat weapons, either across cultures in the Middle Ages or over time in one area.  I will most likely look at naval tech and ships cross-culturally (Europe, Asia, the Middle East) and combat weapons in Germany (Antiquity to Early Modernity).  

Here's the trouble: I can't find any books.  I don't know if I'm using the wrong search queries or if all the university libraries through which I searched just don't have books on the subject.  I'd love some recommendations!  Books on combat weapons, battle strategies, ships, technologies, navigation--anything.  Thanks for your help!

Respawned Level 1 Rebel 

STR: 1  STA: 3  DEX: 2  CON: 1  WIS: 3  CHA: 2

Challenges: current!

Most of the courses I took in uni focused a bit later time-wise, but books tended to focus more on land warfare than sea warfare. I'm assuming you know how to search a library catalogue, but have you used something very general like 'naval history' to get started? I looked at a couple libraries and that turned up books & journals - from there it would be a matter of narrowing it down to more specific topic/times. Also, if you have access to a database of journals like JSTOR (generally university students and alumni can get access to databases through their university library) that should turn up some results. :)

Most of the courses I took in uni focused a bit later time-wise, but books tended to focus more on land warfare than sea warfare. I'm assuming you know how to search a library catalogue, but have you used something very general like 'naval history' to get started? I looked at a couple libraries and that turned up books & journals - from there it would be a matter of narrowing it down to more specific topic/times. Also, if you have access to a database of journals like JSTOR (generally university students and alumni can get access to databases through their university library) that should turn up some results. :)

Thanks, Maegs.  I've been searching through library catalogs and JSTOR with few results--and as general as I can go before I get to "world history."  I can find a ton about the u-boat and WWII boats, but no one is so interested in the Middle Ages.  

Thanks for your help!  I'll keep searching.

Respawned Level 1 Rebel 

STR: 1  STA: 3  DEX: 2  CON: 1  WIS: 3  CHA: 2

Challenges: current!

I don't know where you're from, but you should find a maritime museum. If they don't have anything, they should at least be able to recommend something more specific.

The Brits ruled the seas for a long time, and there are a lot of ship's logs and other accounts from other European countries expeditions, all the way back to pre-Columbus days.

The book 1421 has a lot on maps, but he also talks a bit about navigation and ship technology from the Mediterranean, Europe, and Asia, and comparisons of the technology in the early 1400's.

Searching the world for a cure for my wanderlust.

I can't personally recommend any of these as I haven't read them, but a search on Google Books for "Middle Ages Naval Warfare" brings up a bunch of books. Might give you a starting point, at least.

"Curtain's up. Everyone's waiting for the hero to take the stage. And the spotlight's on you now." - Alfred, to Dick Grayson, Batman and Robin #2

Current Challenge

Thanks, Maegs.  I've been searching through library catalogs and JSTOR with few results--and as general as I can go before I get to "world history."  I can find a ton about the u-boat and WWII boats, but no one is so interested in the Middle Ages.  

Thanks for your help!  I'll keep searching.

I didn't think I was that useful :P I didn't narrow it down much when I checked those catalogues, but I have noticed that in a lot of areas there's a lot more focus on the 19th century onwards. Kinda sucks. Wiktenauer and that book 1421 sound interesting though, I think I'll have to check them out, & hopefully they help with your research!

Archived