Forums are back in action! ×

Hello everyone! I want to lose some damn weight!

I am sick and tired of being sick and tired....

I've taken control of my financial life lately, getting out of debt, working with a budget, etc... and I've reached the point where I'm moving past just learning about finance to learning about self-improvement... and listening to podcasts I've heard about Nerd Fitness a couple times... today I finally made the leap and joined up :)

I'm ~185lbs, and I want to weigh somewhere in the 160 range.  I don't mind not being skinny, but I also don't want to be a 36" waist when I'm 5'7" tall!

My goal is 160lbs, and a 34" waist.... shouldn't be too hard, right?

I've started waking up early, 5am every day, and go for a 20 minute jog in the mornings... so far I've had HORRID shin-splints, and I just can't jog anymore... thinking perhaps it's my used crappy runners?

AAAnyway, I'm here, you'll see more of me, so HELLO!

Def check out some new shoes. I had the same problem until i took the time to do a little research into it. Runners world has a program that helps you find a shoe that is more suitable for you. Or go to a actual running shoe store and let them help you pick out the right one. 

Great progress so far! You've got this! 

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

To be honest, I don't like running that much... I want a stationary bike but can't find room in the house :(  I should probably get my mountain bike fixed up and just use that in the mornings isntead of running if I prefer biking???

I just looked up the "Hotel Workout" since I have no equipment...

I'm pooped after the 3-4 minute warmup!  25 jumping jacks, 10 bodyweights squats, 10 pushups, 10 lunges, 10 airhumps, and 25 more jumping jacks... Got me breathing pretty hard and my legs & arms are already sore... bad or good sign? LOL

one thing I found amusing was the bodyweight squats... both my knees cracked each and every time, both down & up...crack.. crack...crack...crack...crack....crack....   SHUT UP!

Stumpy, you might take a look at Steve's ideas on running, and "cardio" in general. I think there's another article he did on running specifically, but this one talks about better ways to get cardio into your exercise routine, without having to run all over creation.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/01/27/kick-your-ass-and-kickstart-your-metabolism-in-20-minutes/

Personally, I'm training for a 5k, so running is part of my workout routine. But, I also never run more than 20 or 30 minutes at a time, and I don't run consecutive days either. This helps alleviate shin splints, and boredom. Right now, I'm doing body weight exercise circuits (specifically this one: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/) on days where I'm not running. And i rest on day 7...

The most liberating thing I've read on this site, is that if you don't like running, you don't have to. Focus on building muscle, not losing weight, and you will naturally see your excess weight go away in the process.  Welcome to the site, and good luck!

"if unwilling to rise in the morning, say to thyself, 'I awake to do the work of a man.'"  - Marcus Aurelius

"[...] and having made the attempt, you must succeed in it. 'Must' is the word." - Abraham Lincoln

Thanks!!  That's exactly the excercise I did this morning, actually.. I did two circuits of it, and I am POOPED.  I think my legs/ass will be hella sore tomorrow...

I do listen to podcasts & motivating music on my ipod while I "run"  (more half jog half walk) so I'm entertained, but I just don't like the public aspect of running, especially when I suck at it.

I have a goal after this morning... I want to weigh under 180lbs by the end of June.  The scale this morning was showing just a hair under 190, so I think it's attainable.  The biggest problem I'm gonna have is my diet, I track my calories/exercise through www.myfitnesspal.com and I am often over my goal of ~2000cals, and quite often in junk crap food.  I reaaalllyyy need to change that.

Guest asdf

Welcome to Nerd Fitness Stumpy! It's good to have you on board.

Since you mentioned nutrition as something you need to work on, you have two options to get started with heading in the right direction. You could either start reducing how much snackies you eat each day or week until it is under much better control, or you could do what I did which is to cut out snacks almost exclusively for a while and rid your home of them so you aren't tempted to start nomming every time you enter the kitchen. Start learning about the ins and outs of nutrition too. Scooby's workshop I think is a really good place to start. This guy offers really good information that's pretty much exactly what you'd find in a book, but its all free http://scoobysworkshop.com/bodybuilding-nutrition-made-simple/.

Just remember when running that anyone else who is out running too is going to be ignoring you, and anyone who scoffs at you for trying to get fit is a  total ass. If you have access to wooded trails you could always try trail running. I think it is a lot more pleasant because of the scenery and there's usually a lot less people you might cross paths with, plus you get the benefit of not having to run on rock hard pavement, which really wrecks your ankles and shins from the hard impact if you are running without shoes that have sufficient padding.

Just some suggestions that have helped me in the past, and maybe can help you too  :peaceful:

Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress!!! (Definitely start up your own Battle Log thread)

I am a run/walker!!  Nothing wrong with that at all - in fact I've read a lot of encouraging article that say intervals are better for you anyway than long distance running.  I don't know if that's true...but I did read it on the internet - so it must be...LOL

Any exercise is better than no exercise and the more you do it, the easier it gets.

Good luck to you!!!

We got a dog two years ago, and that has helped me to get outdoors more often... especially in the mornings.

I listen to a lot of podcasts, and specifically Micheal Hyatt's "This is your Life" opened my eyes to how much time & potential there is in the first couple hours of each day to complete all the things I thought I didn't have time to do... Speficially, getting out and going for a jog with my dog :)

So that's how that started, although being honest, I really don't enjoy it... I'm thinking that if it didn't hurt my legs as much I may enjoy it more, though!  So I'll keep trying it for a few more weeks.

Do you have a way to soak in a hot tub? Or maybe take an Epsom salt bath?

After I started training for a half marathon last year I got deep tissue massages regularly and the LMT recommended either soaking in a hot run or Epsom salt baths. I used to use the hot tub at the gym- baths ick me out. :D

It's worth a shot for any body aches/soreness.

My knees crack too.. it's yucky. But eventually it'll get better.

You can totally lose weight. Just make sure you do the diet too.

Level 3 - Half-Elf Warrior, STR - 5 | DEX - 1 | STA - 6 | CON - 5.5 | WIS - 3.5 | CHA - 5

I know where I'm going, and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want. ~  Ali

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Yep, we're going to stock up on GOOD food our next trip, ever since I've been waking up at 5 instead of last-minute, I've had a lot of time in the morning to prepare good food! 

Thanks for all the support!

With all the suggestions for healthy eating around the internet, I haven't found a good source for the shopping side... I could see a site that allows you to meal-plan your week, and give you a shopping list based on expiry dates, etc... to make all the things you plan...  Then one could basically have a database of their foodstocks, with approx expiry dates, amounts, etc...  talk about a Nerd's Kitchen! lol

Archived