Forums are back in action! ×

Hello! I'm Amanda, and I've been reading the blog posts on NF for a while now, but haven't really delved into the forums.

I'm 24 years old, and I live in Wisconsin. I work as a software developer, which means I'm sitting basically all day every day in front of the computer (and then I tend to get home and spend more time doing the same), though I've been trying to (and mostly succeeding at) exercising in the evenings. I've started strength training, which I've found I really enjoy. I would like to try some sort of martial arts again, but haven't actually gotten around to finding a place to go which I need to just do. Now that its starting to get warm out (well, not today), I'm looking forward to doing stuff outside - hiking and biking mostly.

I've been significantly overweight for several years now, and overweight on and off since early high school. In high school/college when I lost weight I did so by effectively starving myself (which was not good), and whenever I try to count calories I feel myself slipping back into not eating enough, so that's really not an option for me. I'm interested in trying paleo at some point, but don't think if I try to jump straight to it I'll be successful, so to start with I've been trying to eat more vegetables (I mostly eat spinach and broccoli right now, but I'm trying to branch out and try new vegetables), and limiting processed foods in general. I've almost completely cut out soda since the end of last year, and at this point I don't miss it at all anymore.

I started off the year weighing 220lbs, and am down to 205 right now. My initial goal was to get under 200, but in the long term I would like to get down under 160. I would also like to be able to do a pull up at some point again, but I'm still a long ways away from that.

Level 0 Half-Dwarf

Hi Amanda-

Welcome to NF. 15lbs is awesome! Have you been exercising to lose weight?

I'm also considering pretty new to NF and have also been considering paleo. Right now I am focusing on eating as clean as possible with the least possible gluten consumption. My weakness is beer. I live in the pacific NW and we love out microbrews.

Good luck with your goals and keep us posted in your success :)

hello and welcome!  Don't worry about being paleo strict.  It's more of a mindset and you can make small changes that you can live with over a longer period of time.  I didn't know what the hell I was doing at first but roughly a month in, and I'm like 85% paleo.  Makes in a big difference in how I feel.  if you have questions, just ask.  gl and have fun.

Archived