Forums are back in action! ×

Nabbed a PR yesterday

UH60guy

I ran the Marine Corps Historic Half Marathon yesterday, which was to be my last race until the fall. Despite a hilly course (I live at the beach, no hills to train on!) and a very humid day, I beat my goal by a few seconds and nabbed a personal record! Official times haven't been published, but unofficially from my wristwatch I finished in 1:44:43, beating my goal of 1:45 by a mere 17 seconds thanks to a sprint at the end.

Even making this more amazing in my eyes is closing out the racing season and seeing my improvement over 6 months. I ran my first race ever, a half marathon, in November in 1:58, which was like a 9:01 per mile pace. I trained steadily after that, ran a ten miler, 5k, 14k, 8k, and full marathon in between, watching the time come down. Last race was the full marathon two months ago, where I saw an 8:45 per mile pace on a very flat course. Yesterday, I blew that out of the water and I think I snuck in just under the 8:00/mile mark!

Level 4 Woodchuck

STR 12 | DEX 9.5 | STA 8.5 | CON 8 | WIS 7.5 | CHA 9

Current challenge: UH60guy seeks his Groundhog Day

Previous challenges: 4 3 2 1

That's friggin' fast! I can't manage that for a half mile... My goal is a 26 min 5k, long way off.

One thing you can do at the beach is run in the surf. My great uncle used to do it all summer while training for football. You can vary the depth do make it harder.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Archived