Forums are back in action! ×

A bowtie can make ANY event classy. Think about it.

Continue thinking about it.....

:smiley_simmons:

SEE! Now it all makes sense. If you are reading this with a bowtie, imagine the boost of classiness you are bringing down!!! IMAGINE!

Anyway, I am new to this forum (hence this introductory post) and I would like the power of all 5 elements from Captain Planet with a side of teleportation. Yep, if you are going to go with powers order it with a side of teleportation!

Now actually getting down to introducing myself, I am an active guy with a positive mentality who, recently, has met his one-true enemy: Fear of Success. A year ago, one of my CrossFit friends posted an article by Steve talking about CrossFit (awesome). Finding the article intriguing, I became curious with this "Nerd Fitness". I subscribed to the blog and.....put the reading aside for "tomorrow".

Backtracking a few months, January 30 was my New Year - I turned 27 but it was just yesterday I was 17 and graduating High School. What happened? Fear happened. Subconsciously, I was fearing success. In my younger years I was called smart, fast, one capable of anything, determined, on a path to success....it felt amazing. It was a window to step out of hiding and be my own person. But, I didn't. It was my very own fault.

In order for my early-20somthing year old self to "take control of life", I made bad choices and own/guarantee my mediocrity. Then, I got back on track (or so I thought). I was about to achive my goal - running a marathon (a skinny kid like me could do that). Although I was in the average-faster groups, it took me 3 years to complete a marathon. Why? Because I got injured twice - weeks before the race (probably self-sabotage). Finally, I ran the big Chicago Marathon which lead to another injury by mile 20. I was upset but eased because I could limp my way to the finish line and not face the pressure of reaching a personal record. I went to the gym...got stronger but not to my capability. I had personal trainers who would call me thier "favorite client" because I could do workouts that not many of thier clients could do...they would push me and I would push back at 70%. Mid-20's I joined CrossFit...I started to do more, accomplish more...I was so close yet far, far, FAR away. I was getting by and no one would be the wiser (not even me).

Then...I am in my last month of being 26. 2013 had just started, I had made progress. I had many races under my belt but none at my best, goals that haven't changed for years, my life began stabalizing but not progressing, I became more connected with myself but not completely real, etc. Then it hit me: I was just 17....my "ultimate" fear wasn't heights or dying or rats...it was fear of success.

I stopped and re-connected with my inner child who wanted to truly step out. I wasn't a child anymore and I would be damned that I would let this kid (me) down any longer.

So, like the Xfinity commercial says, I will "listen to Terry", "man up" (a joke I have with a guy from CrossFit right before we do any Oly/heavy lifting), and put my big boy shoes to get the job done.

I got my tools: SMART program, determination to never again let the kid in me down, a drive to assure pride in my future elderly self, to mark my place in this planet, and....to follow all the words I give to others when I motivate them to be better.

Excuse my lengthy intro, but, damn it, it's my time to not hold back! :pride:

Ever since my new year began, I have:
- Completely paid my student loans (took me 1 month to do after YEARS of making minimum payments)
- In 2 months, increased my 1 rep max for Shoulder Press by 10lbs (my shoulders are weak), Deadlift by 20lbs, Back Squat by 40lbs...on and faced my teenage intimidator the Bench Press straight into the eye and increased 5lbs from my 1RM 2 months ago.
- Began preparing all my meals
- Increased to real human weight.
- (I'm not the "warmest" of guys and have been working at this for about a year) Been able to be honest with my emotions and verbally appreciate my loved ones plus own to my mistakes head on.

- This week alone, read 27 NF articles out of my collected 114 from an entire year.

Next goals???
- Braces
- Going back to school
- Continue increasing strength
- Run the Goofy Challenge (full and half marathons on one weekend at Disneyworld)
- Travel more
- Give a better life to my dog (yep he is going to swimming classes)
- Read the remainder 87+ NF articles
- oh so much more.

What can I offer to Nerd Fitness?
- Positive energy

- SIncerity
- Long posts (sorry about this one again)
- Jokes

- Motivation

OK well that was it....a long-long-long intro but a fanastic vent from my end; I have not told this to my loved ones because I want them to notice my changes at their own pace.

Happy Friday!!!!

I've never been more motivated than in the present. All my goals & dreams will be met because I have the best motivator: Pepino. RIP puppers. :dog:My Battle & My Proof

welcome!  being 28 and getting 3.5+ gpa and being pretty strong, I have been in that same situation.  Heard all these positive things but then I just kind of strolled through college with good grades (but not like...going CRAZY determined or anything), and then just strolled into getting a job at a supermarket and yeah... Same story.  I know I can do better but I'm just terrified of moving forward.  I've gotten my head screwed on right and am making steps to get better and realize that I have been holding myself back because I just never put in a massive effort.  It was always 1/2assed.  The 2 times I did push myself I lost 60+ pounds and got my A+ certification. 

push yourself to do what you know you can do and try to have fun with it.  The better the outlook on making better changes in your life- the more likely to stick with it. 

Archived