Forums are back in action! ×

Muscles Still Very Sore - Looking for Insight

WriterGuy

About the foam rolling- I it hurts too much you should get a softer one. Definitely start with the softest roller available if you aren't used to, or cant tolerate deep tissue massage. Like excersize, there is a good hurt and a bad hurt with massage (or foam rolling). A good hurt should should feel like things are relaxing and knots are being worked out, a bad hurt just hurts. A wine bottle can be awesome for someone who is used to deep tissue massage or has worked up to it through foam rolling, but not for a beginner or the faint of heart. Also, the current belief is that DOMS is caused by muscle tears. If that's the case the only thing to help is time and healing, deep tissue massage can make matters worse. You just have to get to know the difference between DOMS sore and tight muscle sore. That's just a matter of getting to know your body, something that yoga is great for!

Working out through the soreness... I was surprised to hear I should be doing this, but it is true, as long as you've had adequate rest. Personally, I sometimes get weakness with the soreness. If I am still sore the day of my scheduled workout I will do a few test (usually bw) excersizes at home before the gym. If I am weak I don't lift, I'll just run or spin or something. Another option would be to do a lighter version of your routine.

I wait until the next day when I can go full force & push myself then.  I figure if my muscles are weaker they aren't recovered enough and I am setting myself up for injury if I try and push myself to do what I did when my muscles were 100% rested, especially since I do all compound movements (squats, dl, push ups).  Besides, the DOMS thing really only happens when starting a new program, after a long rest, or doing a new move.  If it goes on for longer then I figure I need more calories, esp. protein for recovery.  Make sense?

Archived