Forums are back in action! ×

Beast Parkour

I am currently 6 foot tall and 230 pounds (I am a mesomorph), and I do parkour. I was trying to lose weight and get healthier by eating paleo, but I am taking care of my grandmother and she makes that difficult. Instead, I have decided to eat a lot and lift heavy to get as strong as possible, as fast as possible.

What kind of weightlifting translates well to parkour? I have an olympic bar and 300 lbs of weight.

Thank you for any advice,

Akhkharu

Here is a fairly good post from Nerdfitness itself that should help you out a bit. 

Apart from that I would suggest getting out more and taking walks, but try to never take the same route twice. I don't do parkour personally (it's something I might try in a few months though) but that alone usually gets you out of the mindset of where you "can" and "can't" walk. Eventually You'll get to the point like me where you're hoping on dumpsters, trying that door you are pretty sure leads to where you need to go, and all sorts of crazy things. 

Also learn how to fall. I'm serious go look up a few ways so if you do miss that jump you won't hurt yourself.

Level 5 Orc Citizen Soldier

STR 7.5|DEX 9.5|STA 11|CON 12|WIS 20.5|CHA 8.5

Old Challenges 15/4 3/6 7/25

"Do it now."

@katpower

haha

@terrormortus

I have already been practicing for a few months, so I am already exploring new places to practice with my friends. Mostly I need to find a weightlifting routine to gain mass/strength so that it is easier.

And the first thing I learned how to do was roll. :)

The main thing you need is the roll. I would think that body-weight training would be enough though, right? I want to get in to parkour too and I am doing body-weight compound exercises.

Lvl 2   Half-Orc Dúnadan Assassin Ranger of the North trained by Aragorn son of Arathorn and Connor Kenway - Slayer of the Witch-King of Angmar - Nazgûl Hunter 

Current Attributes: STR: 6    DEX: 5   STA: 1     CON: 5    WIS: 3    CHA: 5

"Become the most positive and enthusiastic person you know"

"So what's stopping you....? That's right...nothing!"

Bucketlist / Battle Log / Neo-Nerds NF Group / Second Challenge!

I'm also looking at getting into parkour, so I'm thinking about transitioning to more bodyweight movements. However, if you really want to lift heavy and see if translate, first I'd make sure you're still moving a lot, staying agile and flexible. Second, I'd do basic movements: deadlifts, squats, and power cleans for the legs; bench and shoulder press for the arms. (Am I forgetting anything?) (Pull-ups if you can find a bar.)

And if you're feeling really adventurous, try the clean and jerk or the snatch. Both are Olympic lifts that use your full body and really test your strength and power. I just started doing clean and jerks this winter. It was a little scary at first--thought I might send the weights crashing down and get reaaaalllly embarrassed--but after practicing a few times with little to no weight, then adding little by little to find what I could lift comfortably, I found out it wasn't that bad. Now I really enjoy them and am thinking about transitioning to snatches if I get the chance to work out in a gym again anytime soon.

“The world is indeed full of peril and in it there are many dark places.

But still there is much that is fair. And though in all lands, love is now

mingled with grief, it still grows, perhaps, the greater.â€

--J.R.R. Tolkien, "Return of the King"

"Are the gods not just?"

"Oh no, child. What would become of us if they were?"

--C.S. Lewis, "Till We Have Faces"

Planks are also excellent for core strengthening!

Lvl 2   Half-Orc Dúnadan Assassin Ranger of the North trained by Aragorn son of Arathorn and Connor Kenway - Slayer of the Witch-King of Angmar - Nazgûl Hunter 

Current Attributes: STR: 6    DEX: 5   STA: 1     CON: 5    WIS: 3    CHA: 5

"Become the most positive and enthusiastic person you know"

"So what's stopping you....? That's right...nothing!"

Bucketlist / Battle Log / Neo-Nerds NF Group / Second Challenge!

Thanks for the advice everyone, this is what I have settled on:

4x8 Clean and Press

4x12 Squats

4x8 Pullovers

4x6 Bench Press ( If I can make a bench)

4x8 Deadlifts

4x8 Curls

and GOMAD. I want to get truly huge (hopefully 300 lbs) while gaining mostly muscle, then cut. I gain muscle easily, as well as some fat if I eat bad, but when I eat healthy I lose almost no muscle, just fat.