Forums are back in action! ×

How do you guys handle getting sweaty at work?  For those of us stuck in a 8-5 office gig, sometimes the only chance you get for a workout is during those hours.  And for some of us (me), you sweat well after your workout is over. Especially during the summer. Even a brisk 20 minute walk will result in 45 minutes of toweling off at my desk. (I'm a support tech, so I work with users in person like 80% of the time).

This sweating dilemma has often prevented me from doing any exercise at work for fear of looking like I have malaria for an hour each day. Does anyone have experience with this, and can you recommend any super breathable gear?  Or even better, is there any apparel out there that can get away with being business-casual, but doubles as light workout friendly?

I sweat when I eat (only a slight exageration), so I totally feel your pain, unfortunately.  Nothing I've found has really helped...so I just don't work out during the workday.  Do you have shower facilities?  When I ride to work, I basically have to give myself a solid 20 minutes after I arrive to just cool down and shower/towel off...and THEN I get dressed for work :(

Not really a solution, unfortunately, just giviing your misery some company :(

For sweat-hiding clothes, I go with darker patterned shirts - and if you can get away with golf shirts then there are lots of moisture-wicking/quick drying options (underarmor comes to mind first).

What you do, and what you don't do, matters.

I totally do have fans at my desk (2).  But I'm in a female dominated office, which means that the thermostat is always set to like 78+, and there are still alot of under the desk heaters running, so it's more like 80 all the time.

Horsedog - Thanks for sharing my misery with me.  The bummer of my office is that it's a large corporate campus style office, and it was originally designed with a gym and full locker rooms w/ showers (not the bummer).  But because of the economy > cutbacks > liability insurance > maintenance, they shut down that entire part of that building.  So yes, we have showers, but I can't use them (that's the bummer).

I wish Security would just let me go stand in the Data Center with all the servers every day.  It's like 55 degrees in there all the time.

Hm. What about the ability to make a smoothie?

I'm totally pulling at straws, but when I go to town on a frozen drink, I almost definitely end up with chills.

Also a random thing that works for some... cooling your pulse points. I can put something cold on my wrists, pulse points in my neck and get somewhat of a cool down.

Also consider fabric types. Being a chick, I live in a fitted, stretch, poly-blend world. Cotton when you can.

Level 2 Wood Elf. Druid at Heart, Training With the RangersSTR 7|DEX 3|STA 9|CON 5.5|WIS 5.75|CHA 3.5

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/30484-gilfrens-grab-at-great-gams/?hl=gilfren]Challenge Thread

Also a random thing that works for some... cooling your pulse points. I can put something cold on my wrists, pulse points in my neck and get somewhat of a cool down.

I've found this definitely works for me, too (wrists under cold running water).  Cuts cooldown time in half...

What you do, and what you don't do, matters.

Also consider fabric types. Being a chick, I live in a fitted, stretch, poly-blend world. Cotton when you can.

Pulse points huh?  I'm going to try that for sure.  I'll try anything at this point.  Except for the fitted, stretch, poly-blend.  I don't think my co-workers would appreciate it at all.  Thinking of investing in an underdesk fridge too.  If blue-ice packs get the sweat to shut down, then I'm in.

Pulse points huh?  I'm going to try that for sure.  I'll try anything at this point.  Except for the fitted, stretch, poly-blend.  I don't think my co-workers would appreciate it at all.  Thinking of investing in an underdesk fridge too.  If blue-ice packs get the sweat to shut down, then I'm in.

Back of the neck might work too, just be careful, lots of blood pumping through there and if you cool too fast, it may have some crazy side effects that I'm not aware of.

But I sweat doing math and when its super hot I'll put a damp cloth on the back of my neck, seems to help out.  Bonus points if you get it damp then throw it in the fridge for a couple of hours before you need it.

Level 2 Half-Orc Ranger

STR 4|DEX 2.6|STA 5.8|CON 8|WIS 2|CHA 3

MyFitnessPal|My Endomondo

Ha ha I miss-spoke. AVOID poly-blend or anything except cotton if you can. I've made a personal revolt and am on my quest to cotton, as I too work with ladies who like it sauna-style

Level 2 Wood Elf. Druid at Heart, Training With the RangersSTR 7|DEX 3|STA 9|CON 5.5|WIS 5.75|CHA 3.5

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/30484-gilfrens-grab-at-great-gams/?hl=gilfren]Challenge Thread

Don't worry, I totally understood you about the poly-blend stuff. Well, just went for a walk (20 minutes, 1.58 Mi, Current weather: 75 degrees, Partly Cloudy, Beautiful SoCal Day = POURING SWEAT).  Ran my wrists under cold water, splashed face/neck, wrists again, and it helped.  Granted, it's not that hot, and my pulse was only slightly raised, but it does help so thanks for the suggestion.  **As I drench a paper towel that was on my desk**. 

Now I'm finding that my clothes are totally trapping heat.  Exposed skin is fine, but it feels like I have a hair dryer blowing inside my clothes.  Back to the gear inquiry.  Gonna shoot for cotton polos, and pants with interior pockets for medical cold compresses.  Jeez.  These Nike Free-Runs with the mesh upper are rad though.  Literally feel a breeze on my feet.

and this is why I do not work out at work... for that very reason.

Plus I"m super extreme working out -and there is no room for that here LOL

I stick to push ups and squats. 

Seems like all of my high-energy times are between 9a - 4p.  Then sometime during the hour commute home, it dives to like 20%.  I wonder if there is anything that I can do to shift when my energy is available.  If I could trade a low energy day for high energy evening, I'd do it in a heartbeat.  I don't need high energy to manage mobile phones and post stuff on NF Forums.

Oh man, no kidding.  I worked as a baker for a couple of years in my 20's.  I was in incredible shape and thought that I'd always have that body without working out.  Not realizing that lifting 50 pound bags of flour and sugar all day in a 90 degree bakery is what was giving me that body.  Well, that and being 21 years old.  It's rude awakening to be 35 and at a desk job with my dad's body asking if anyone has any tips on how not to sweat so much when I go for a walk at work.

I work at an industrial laundry and it gets super hot in there. I tend to fill a water bottle with small ice cubes that I can suck on throughout the day (we have an ice machine in the lunch room). If you can have a small spray bottle of water to mist onto your face and other exposed skin the fans on your desk should make you feel even cooler.

You could also try putting plastic ice packs in your pockets. Might turn your thighs a bit numb but it helps.

I work at an industrial laundry and it gets super hot in there. I tend to fill a water bottle with small ice cubes that I can suck on throughout the day (we have an ice machine in the lunch room). If you can have a small spray bottle of water to mist onto your face and other exposed skin the fans on your desk should make you feel even cooler.

You could also try putting plastic ice packs in your pockets. Might turn your thighs a bit numb but it helps.

Not to mention the water from condensation soaking his pants. May not go over so well... lol

“The question is not how far. The question is, do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?† 
 -Billy Connoly , The Boondock saints
Level 2 Warrior

Yeah I'm actually not a big fan of cotton for sweat purposes. It seems to hold on to it and makes me stink even worse than I already do, haha. So I definitely go with moisture-wicking when I can.

I know Kohl's just had some on sale/clearance  (for men).

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

So, I've discovered that thick cotton undershirts and heavy pants certainly contribute to heat retention.  I tried a couple of lighter-weight undershirts and they seemed to help.  Cotton dress shirts and moisture-wicking polos are the way to go.  But poly-blend dress shirts make me smell like a hobo, and cotton polos feel like a fireman jacket.  Can't find any lightweight dress pants without them being wool (which isn't breathable, I don't care what Merino says).  But in the interest of sharing useful information, taking your pants off (...in the men's room you pervs) for a minute helps TREMENDOUSLY after workday workout.  Also, I've been packing my lunch as part of my dietary goals for this 6-Week challenge and I use the ice pack on my pulse points when I get back to my desk.  Wow that works.  Great tip you guys!  Interestingly, eating better has made me feel cooler.  I think it's that I'm never stuffed and always some small level of hungry actually lowers my body heat overall.  When SoCal summer really kicks in, I'll be making something like this for the fan at my desk.  Thanks everyone for your comments and advice.  I've actually done a 20-minute walk every day since the challenge started, and thanks to your tips, I'm getting more confident about being able to shut down the torrent of sweat that is sure to follow.