Forums are back in action! ×

Big Arms...a serious question

I recently startted lfiting heavier (after reading this site - thank you!) 

I was spending (wasting) a lot of time lifting light weights for tons of reps and not  really seeing any resuts.  Now that I have been lifting heavier - for about 4 weeks now I already feel better and feel stronger too which I LOVE!!  This is my goal and it's working.

I convinced my husband to change his workout as well - he is a big/wide guy (about 6'1") let's just say he'll never be a "small".  He has already had an increase in the size of his arms (I don't mind this at all :)), but he doesn't seem to want to get any bigger...

Suggestions on a better workout system for him?

Thanks!

Well what system is he using? I mean, if he lifts weight, he's gonna pack on some muscle.  He sounds about my size (6'1", 260 lb, 25-30% bodyfat probably). If he keeps the reps in the 3-5 range, he should avoid the bodybuilder type muscle gain called hypertrophy and get more hard, densely packed muscle.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Arms won't get all that big unless you specifically train arms.

Bodybuilder type muscle gain? All rep ranges cause hypertrophy in the presence of a calorie surplus, no rep ranges cause hypertrophy without it. Hypertrophy is for the most part hypertrophy, it all looks the same.

I personally haven't found that to be the case.  When I use higher reps, I notice larger size gains.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I personally haven't found that to be the case.  When I use higher reps, I notice larger size gains.

Its not the rep range, its the volume.  Working heavy is very volume limiting, especially if taken near failure.

A couple heavy sets just isn't much volume.  A whole lot of submaximal heavy sets works fine though for hypertrophy.

3x3 @ 3RM isn't going to cause a lot of growth.  (calorie surplus will be inefficient, you'll gain fat at a higher rate)

8x3 @ 5RM will

Either way, when you hit every muscle in the body regularly, no matter what the training protocol, you'll gain about 1" per thigh per every 5-7 lbs muscle gained, and 1" per arm per every 10-15 lbs muscle gained.  Focused work can bring you to the lower end of the range (even below that a bit for stupidly concentrating).  Some training protocols won't gain muscle as efficiently, which just means that you'll get fatter faster.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Thanks so much for the input, I am still a little confused with some of the language...I want to make sure I understand.

My husband's typical workout week consists of a whole body workout split into 2 different days with light cardio (upper body one day lower body the next day) then one day of all cardio. Since the beginning of the year he has increased his weights by about 40%. He does 3 sets of 10 reps on each exercise. Are you suggesting to increase weight more and decrease reps?

Thanks again so much!

Is he trying and succeeding at gaining weight?

How long has he been working out.  A little bit of size gains is to be expected for the first 1-3 months, but after that, no calorie surplus / no weight gain means muscles not getting bigger.  Can get some size gains at maintenance, but that is mostly because even maintaining a weight will have periods of surpluses and periods of deficits, though haphazard and random.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

I convinced my husband to change his workout as well - he is a big/wide guy (about 6'1") let's just say he'll never be a "small".  He has already had an increase in the size of his arms (I don't mind this at all :)), but he doesn't seem to want to get any bigger...

Time for a new husband.

Touched upon, but not explicitly pointed out - if your husband is at a caloric deficit, he shouldn't need to worry about gaining size.  Part of size is underlying bodyfat.  I'm assuming he has 22% or more bodyfat.  At bodyfat levels in the teens, this applies less so.  So long as he's on a system that burns fat while maintaining muscle, he should see size decreases.  Part of any system is the proper diet.  In purely caloric terms, if he keeps the same calories and lifts more (weight and/or reps is debateable), then he will see size reduction as the fat thins out.  If he lifts more and consequently eats more, then he risks gaining size.  Basically, he'd be fueling muscle growth.  This is the premise behind bulking, afterall.

This begs the question: how is he eating?

| LVL1 | Human | Ranger/Monk | Neutral Good w/ chaotic tendencies|

| Male | 33 years | 5'7" |168 lbs | Right-handed |

| STR: 3 | DEX: 2 | STA: 3 | CON: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 2 |

Progress Photos Album

Character attributes: Especially self-critical and self-condemning.  Possesses strong polymathic potential, but circumstances, time and the will toward achieving that potential remain in constant fluctuation. Indecisiveness leads to indecision and determination must be coupled with foreseeable goals. Emotional quotient and empathic ability is high.  However, with indifferent resignation, can be detached from people and places .   

Suggestions on a better workout system for him?

Thanks!

Either change the weight/reps or seriously look into more bodyweight stuff.  My brother used to be able to lift ridiculous amounts on his squat but due to the nature of his work (very physically demanding in enclosed spaces/tunnels) he had to stop lifting heavy (that and the fact people kept asking him where he got his 'roids from).  

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask