Forums are back in action! ×

Proper Posture, how does it work?

This may be a dumb first topic but I'd appreciate any advice or insight you guys have (and I'll try to keep my rambling to a minimum ^_^)

One of my goals is to improve my posture because at work, sitting at my desk, I am always either hunched over or leaning way back.  Also I am, while not quite hunched, but a bit 'curled in' on myself looking down while I walk anywhere.  My big mistake was thinking it'd be simple (I wanted a simple first goal to actually feel like I can accomplish something, anything), I mean how hard can it be to sit up straight and look up when walking, right?  It all just feels SO wrong I have to ask about it.  Sitting up straight is not only is horribly uncomfortable, takes considerable effort but it also is quite painful for my lower back.  Then there's walking, constantly repeating in my head "head up shoulders back head up shoulders back..." this is A) terrifying, I'm clumsy enough as it is how do people not trip over things walking this way? and B ) makes me feel like a jerk as if I'm trying to look down on everyone around me.

My questions are: Is posture really that important, especially at my age (I can understand for a developing teen but at 30)?  Am I doing it wrong (attempting to be straight, stretched as tall as possible and perpendicular to the ground at all times)? Did I pick a terrible first goal?

This is also one of my goals.

In school, I was in band where I didn't have a choice but to have good posture. However, since being out of band for 10+ years my posture has slacked.

I started out trying to sit and stand straighter, but it also causes me pain, particularly in my upper and mid back. I recall hearing at one time to do exercises that target your back and strengthen those muscles, so that is what I have been working on.

I'm definitely not the expert but perhaps this will help and know that you're not alone. :)

It may seem kind of strange, but the reason your back hurts when you sit up straight is because your core muscles are weak.  Your back is trying to do all the work to hold your torso upright, the rest of your core muscles are not pitching in.  If you concentrate on general core strengthening, you should be able to sit up straight for longer periods without pain. Remember - you've been hunched over for a long time, it will take some time to retrain your muscles.  Yoga is very helpful for posture issues as it really helps to build muscle memory of how it feels to properly align yourself.

As for your comment about feeling like you are trying to look down on everyone - are you tall?  If so, it's time to own that!  Be tall!  Tower over us lesser mortals.  Let the crown of your head brush the clouds!

Level 3 High Elf Enchanter in Half-Orc Illusion RAWR!

STR 2.5 : DEX 2 : STA 2 : CON 2.5 : WIS 5 : CHA 3.5First Challenge     Second Challenge     Current Challenge

I struggled with posture when I was younger, as well.  Being tall (6'5") and shy (i.e. not wanting to draw attention to myself in any way, shape, or form) gave me the oh-so-common rounded/caved-in shoulders/generally slouchy posture that lots of tall people have. 

In terms of the "makes me feel like a jerk as if I'm trying to look down on everyone around me" issue, I don't think you should worry about it (easier said than done, I know).  Keep in mind there is a HUGE difference between being a jerk/cocky/arrogant and being confident and proud.  I really tower over most people, but I don't think anyone thinks I'm a jerk because I walk tall (now, not when I was younger).  Be confident!  Be awesome!

And if you aren't there yet, fake it until you are :)  Seriously, simply walking tall did wonders for my confidence level.  I didn't start out confident, I started out LOOKING confident...real confidence came later :)

What you do, and what you don't do, matters.

As for your comment about feeling like you are trying to look down on everyone - are you tall?  If so, it's time to own that!  Be tall!  Tower over us lesser mortals.  Let the crown of your head brush the clouds!

Yep - own it!  Being tall is AWESOME!!!!!  Also, be sure to keep your nose hairs trimmed :numbness:

What you do, and what you don't do, matters.

two key things:

1.  make sure you are not curving your lower back IN when you sit - note the KStarr pic - his back is FLAT not hyper extended. Most people hyper extend lower back thinking it's good posture.  It makes your back ache like crazy and is really bad for you. 

2.  Imagine you are like a dog or a cat or something and you have a tail (just go with it) - make sure when you sit you are not sitting on your tail - it should be stretched out behind you - this requires a bit of a tuck in the lower back and helps make sure your lower back isn't hyper extended. 

DONT SIT ON YOUR TAIL!

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

No, actually I am not tall (5'9") which is why I get the feeling that I am TRYING to look down on people, failing, but trying (well that coupled with shyness and confidence issues but those aren't fitness related).

Also thank you for the replies so far, that one like looks quite helpful and I have flagged it for reading later.

I have very bad chronic back pain. It bothers me when I stand too long because my back tends to arch and my pelvis tilts forward with my butt sticking back. To relieve this bad posture, i  squeeze my glutes for a couple seconds to activate the stabilizing muscles in my butt and hips.

I read an article talking about confidence. It had tips on walking to show confidence, head up, shoulders back, long stride with heal tapping first. This givers you the appearance of being confident and people notice. Looking down all the time shows no confidence. Don't feel like a jerk doing this, if you smile at people then no one will think you are looking down on them.

At work i use one of the kitchen chairs at my desk instead of those ergo-adjustable desk chairs that everyone else has. I either try to think about keeping my lower back touching the chair back or sit slouched in position C from the link a few posts above. keeping my back straight. 

I think in one of Steve's NF articles, he wrote about putting a sign above your monitor as a constant reminder to "Just Do It." In your case, sit up straight!

USS & NBAC Masters swim coach

Current: lifter, runner

Former: triathlete, cyclocross racer, NCAA swimmer

Current games: Borderlands 2, Runescape, Star Ocean, Dragon's Dogma

I have very bad chronic back pain. It bothers me when I stand too long because my back tends to arch and my pelvis tilts forward with my butt sticking back. To relieve this bad posture, i  squeeze my glutes for a couple seconds to activate the stabilizing muscles in my butt and hips.

I read an article talking about confidence. It had tips on walking to show confidence, head up, shoulders back, long stride with heal tapping first. This givers you the appearance of being confident and people notice. Looking down all the time shows no confidence. Don't feel like a jerk doing this, if you smile at people then no one will think you are looking down on them.

At work i use one of the kitchen chairs at my desk instead of those ergo-adjustable desk chairs that everyone else has. I either try to think about keeping my lower back touching the chair back or sit slouched in position C from the link a few posts above. keeping my back straight. 

I think in one of Steve's NF articles, he wrote about putting a sign above your monitor as a constant reminder to "Just Do It." In your case, sit up straight!

I try to sit on wooden chairs or stools as well. The back of my computer chair is too tempting to trust.

And I second doing core strengthening. After all of my chiro/rehab that is something I notice (aside from no more crippling pain), I sit up straight WAY more now than I did pre-injury. I had to think about it a lot at first, but now I just do it.

I have spent a large part of the last ten years in bed or at least reclining. Posture is a big thing for me to work on as well. Once you figured out what good posture feels like, it really is all a matter of training your muscles to be able to keep that posture. Sitting unsupported for increasing amounts of time is the best way to do that imo. The more you do it, the more your body gets used to it. All a matter of practise. 

Don't sit on your tail is great advice.

Also try to get your head up (not your chin, the crown of your head). That will automatically straighten out the rest of your spine.

Also push your shoulders down and together. That's the part of the puzzle I am working on at the moment.

Do give your body breaks. You don't have to be perfectly straight 24/7. Being static in general is bad for the body. Keep moving as much as you can, even if it's just fidgeting in your seat.

Level 2 Wood Elf Druid Str 5| Dex 7 |Sta 3| Con 5.5| Wis 11.5 | Cha 3.5