Forums are back in action! ×

Good idea, or a big mistake?..

So after being off the radar with this site(sorry!), I've been doing some experimenting with calorie intake, cooking, etc, really trying to nail it down, and i finally got it (3700 a day!!), and for some crazy reason yesterday, i decided to use my 20 seconds of courage/ beast mode and sign myself up for the school rugby team. now being Welsh, it just happens to be our national sport. If you read my introductory post you'll know im seriously not built for it at 6ft1-2 and 11stone. Sir/p.e teacher told me that season starts back up in September. Dyou guys think if i go for it eating 3700 consistently and keep lifting heavy i could be.in good shape for it? Don't really fancy getting mullered by guys twice my size Haha!

i LOVE rugby!!  Go Tucker (I'm a saffer so Springboks ftw)!!

Personally your height would more than likely have you in the back row - possibly wing depending on your speed - or lock position (for catching in line outs), so your biggest focus would be endurance.  You're going to find that the bigger guys are going to have a hard time holding onto you ;)  I think you could definitely eat at 3700 consistently, just make sure it's a healthy 3700 (and not pizza etc) with at least 40 - 50% being protein and then lifting heavy, you could bulk up nicely. This conditioning program was a thesis from two students in SA for the Bok team and they've even got training programs for younger players (disclaimer: i don't agree with everything they say but it might be a good basis for you to start from). 

Good luck.

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

40-50% protein is far too much. You do not need 370g of protein per day at your weight, I assure you.

I've never played rugby, but if you consult with people who do I'm sure you can find a program to follow that would get you into decent shape by September. I would go along with the advice that suggested you become faster with good endurance, but again people who actually play rugby can probably offer the best advice for you. Best of luck!

i LOVE rugby!!  Go Tucker (I'm a saffer so Springboks ftw)!!

Personally your height would more than likely have you in the back row - possibly wing depending on your speed - or lock position (for catching in line outs), so your biggest focus would be endurance.  You're going to find that the bigger guys are going to have a hard time holding onto you ;)  I think you could definitely eat at 3700 consistently, just make sure it's a healthy 3700 (and not pizza etc) with at least 40 - 50% being protein and then lifting heavy, you could bulk up nicely. This conditioning program was a thesis from two students in SA for the Bok team and they've even got training programs for younger players (disclaimer: i don't agree with everything they say but it might be a good basis for you to start from). 

Good luck.

Right now, at your weight, AB is right, back line is your best friend. You're 5 inches shorter than me and 25-30kgs lighter than my highschool 2nd rower self. You've got 3 months, without knowing what your strength base is, I could only recommend a focus on strength training with limited conditioning after it, match fitness will come in time, strength won't be as easy to come by in season with all the extra running at training. 

:tongue: Who's number two on the IRB rankings? oh yeah, Boks... tssssss

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

well (not bragging) i am seriously quick, and quicker than the.boys who run for county, so that's probably my asset! I've been told however because of my size and need to bulk up, i should lay off the cardio for now. although i did some digging and seen that interval printing is the way to go for this? any back up on that? and im actually surprisingly strong for my stats, and ive just done 4 weeks of strength training and consistently upped the weight each week! We're just about to start 8 weeks of mass/bulk/size/hypertrophy whatever training as well!

and Haha, first time that's happened Angel! :P not going to lie though, love a sneaky pizza now and then! :D

Rugby...for those w/ balls to big to play hockey!!!

My cousin played for Alabama when he was there.  I just wish it would get more airtime in US. 

"A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye" - Koloth

"Ya can't grill it until ya kill it" - Uncle Ted

"If it ain't Metal...IT'S CRAP!!!" - Dee Snider