Forums are back in action! ×

So.. I almost threw up.

Hey my baby portabellas. Hoping for some comments/insight.

I made the choice to try a personal trainer and my first session was last night. In the consultation, she remarked that I appeared pretty fit and I had told her I felt pretty active.. It do 5Ks, kayak, regularly work out (on my own, but also hour long instructor-lead classes), etc etc.

So we began our session with what I can only describe is calisthenics on crack (a lot of bosu ball, squats, jump squats, etc.There were about 8 very cardio/calisthenic workouts, 16 reps a piece, with no break in between. We finished the 8 and were gearing up for resistance work when it hit me...

I got cloudy vision, felt dizzy and weak. She looked at me and said "You need a break? Feeling weak? Lets sit down."

I sat down with her and felt horribly ill. I started searching for my vomit strategy because it felt inevitable. However, I managed not to lose it.

She told me  not to feel bad and that she's had people pass out on her, had people throw up and I made it further than most.. but....

This has -never- -ever- happened to me. And seriously, after the nausea passed, I was ready to do more, but she seemed to want to call it a day. I have another appointment today to try a 2nd trainer who is more lifting focused, but then another session with this girl on Thursday.

What do you all think? I feel like an effing sissy and that I'm no where near as healthy as I thought I was.

Level 2 Wood Elf. Druid at Heart, Training With the RangersSTR 7|DEX 3|STA 9|CON 5.5|WIS 5.75|CHA 3.5

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/30484-gilfrens-grab-at-great-gams/?hl=gilfren]Challenge Thread

I possibly served as a little wake up call. Did you eat/drink right before engaging into that session?

It's not 80% diet, 20% exercise, it's 100% diet, 100% exercise. Give it your all.

My journey (Date - Total - BF % - LBM)

2012-01-01 - 242 - 35% - 157

2013-12-15 - 172 - 10% - 155

2016-05-01 - 231 - 25% - 173

It's just pushing your body to its limits.  There is a reason that the phrase "Pukey the Clown" is prevalent in CrossFit circles (where the idea is super intense for long periods of time).  Like Stephane said, just make sure you eat right on those days and drink plenty of water and you'll eventually find that you can get through more and more of it.    

Could it be that your body may not be used to the intensity of the workout. 

When I was in high school, I would swim in the winter and be in great shape, then start track a week after swimming champs. I always wanted to throw up on my first track practice because of the difference in exercise. 

USS & NBAC Masters swim coach

Current: lifter, runner

Former: triathlete, cyclocross racer, NCAA swimmer

Current games: Borderlands 2, Runescape, Star Ocean, Dragon's Dogma

This happens to everyone, if they're under nourished or in another way ill-properly prepared. 

Throwing up is one thing. We had a recent discussion about this in the Warrior Forge. It doesn't really mean anything... you throw up and you're right back in the game. Booting rally! It just means that your stomache is a little upset with you, no biggie. 

The light headed-ness is a bit more problematic. It usually means that there is a spike in your blood pressure which can be kicked off by either a change in pressure across your system(aka deadlift fairies) or an insulin spike from not enough glucose in your system(aka you need to eat more).

But, as they say, this too shall pass. Take a slug of some whole milk, a salt tablet, eat some jerky, or an apple, or whatever really. Get a few more calories for your body to burn through in order to keep you regulated and you'll be just fine. 

You ever see those guys who look like they totally used to be in shape?
I'm working to get back to that...

I possibly served as a little wake up call. Did you eat/drink right before engaging into that session?

I went after work at 6pm after eating lunch around 12:30

This happens to everyone, if they're under nourished or in another way ill-properly prepared. 

Throwing up is one thing. We had a recent discussion about this in the Warrior Forge. It doesn't really mean anything... you throw up and you're right back in the game. Booting rally! It just means that your stomache is a little upset with you, no biggie. 

The light headed-ness is a bit more problematic. It usually means that there is a spike in your blood pressure which can be kicked off by either a change in pressure across your system(aka deadlift fairies) or an insulin spike from not enough glucose in your system(aka you need to eat more).

But, as they say, this too shall pass. Take a slug of some whole milk, a salt tablet, eat some jerky, or an apple, or whatever really. Get a few more calories for your body to burn through in order to keep you regulated and you'll be just fine. 

I had assumed that eating before a workout would induce the puke? Is there a certain time before the workout I should/shouldn't have something?

Level 2 Wood Elf. Druid at Heart, Training With the RangersSTR 7|DEX 3|STA 9|CON 5.5|WIS 5.75|CHA 3.5

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/30484-gilfrens-grab-at-great-gams/?hl=gilfren]Challenge Thread

Well, I'm certainly not going to tell you to eat a 5 egg omellete before a workout. I've done that and have puked. 

But, you can grab a handful of mango slices or a banana or something else that's small that'll give your system a quick insulin burst. That little jump in your metabolism will be enough to get the rest of your motors roaring. 

Well, I'm certainly not going to tell you to eat a 5 egg omellete before a workout. I've done that and have puked. 

But, you can grab a handful of mango slices or a banana or something else that's small that'll give your system a quick insulin burst. That little jump in your metabolism will be enough to get the rest of your motors roaring. 

Next session is in 45 minutes. Lifting this time. Made a protein shake and had some greek yogurt.

I guess the bottom line is that I feel like it wasn't me. I can't believe it happened because I consider myself active. And now I just feel like an idiot and that I was over confident... and now the trainer thinks I'm a dainty flower that needs to be babied and follow geriatric regimes. Then there's the part of me that's like... well Mac, you did almost pass out. The shame is almost enough for me to want to bury my head in the sand and switch to another location and never speak of the incident again.

Next session is in 45 minutes. Lifting this time. Made a protein shake and had some greek yogurt.

I guess the bottom line is that I feel like it wasn't me. I can't believe it happened because I consider myself active. And now I just feel like an idiot and that I was over confident... and now the trainer thinks I'm a dainty flower that needs to be babied and follow geriatric regimes. Then there's the part of me that's like... well Mac, you did almost pass out. The shame is almost enough for me to want to bury my head in the sand and switch to another location and never speak of the incident again.

Yeah don't worry about it. I remember when I first started Crossfit I barely hung on for the first month. Not because I was out of shape (I had been lifting for like 18 months at that point and running and what not). But my body wasn't used to such a rush of high intensity work. Your body will adjust to the new stimulus with time and honestly it sounds like that workout was designed to torture you. Don't feel bad about it. You just aren't used to it. 

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Guest Dirty Deads

Hardly. She probably gave you a workout she wouldn't have given me. She gave you one that she thought would push you beyond the greatness you already are and she was right. You survived it, you'll only kick that workouts ass more and more from now on.

Figuring out what and when to eat before working out can be a trial-and-error thing. For me, not eating enough beforehand is more likely to make me feel dizzy/lightheaded/pukey. I typically work out at 6:30PM, and the magic eating time for me is to have about 300 calories around 3PM. The closer I get to the workout, the less protein I eat in this snack. If I get to 6:00 and haven't eaten, a bit of fruit is what I go for.

Eating too much too close to the workout gives me a different pukey feeling. Less lightheaded/dizzy/going black and more puke.

I assume you're keeping a workout log (because that's the thing to do).For a while, make a note of what your last meal was and when and how you felt during the workout. 

You want video of CoreyD and I almost passing out of the squat rack? because I know for a fact that we've both done it... 

and we're not exactly "dainty flowers".

Didn't spezzy make you guys get close to passing out? Weren't thrusters and burpees involved? 

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

The shame is almost enough for me to want to bury my head in the sand and switch to another location and never speak of the incident again.

Alternatively, be proud for pushing yourself and keeping going with what the trainer threw at you to the point that it made you nauseous (not that I'm saying nausea is necessarily good - I'm just suggesting a way of looking at this particular incident). Like others have said, it sounds like she had you doing really difficult stuff. Many people would have walked out the door at the first hint of a jump squat.

Recently in my spinning class I've been pushing harder, to the point that I sometimes have to dial myself back to avoid vomiting. To me it's a good thing and a sign I'm working really hard (not that I actually want to throw up in front of my spinning class!).

And, again like others have said, find out when works best for you to eat beforehand. If you ever work out early in the day, think about what you eat the night before too - I find that's important for me.

Questionable Hobbitʉۢ Level 0ʉۢ Aspiring Warrior

STR 0 â€¢ DEX 0 â€¢ STA 0 â€¢ CON 0 â€¢ WIS 0 • CHA 00

Challenge Log: Puddletheduck stops waddling and starts bouncing (flying will come later)0

"Life's too short to be fat and miserable."

A coworker came with me and another coworker to a bootcamp style workout once. And he puked behind his truck afterwards. And then he was afraid to show his face again and never came back. And now he's still a smoker, gained about 30lbs, and one giant ball of stress. And he's got a newborn baby boy. But his ego and his shame got in the way of making a healthy lifestyle change. Don't let that be you!

I'm really heat sensitive and that comes up a lot here in Houston, but I don't let it shame me. I drink plenty, actually purposely eat salty things to retain water, and go slow. Please please please don't let this one nausea incident hold you back.

It sounds like your trainer was testing you - how fit you are, and how far hard you are willing to work. It's crucial to get a baseline for the trainer to build programs in the future.  And it's crucial to know how driven your client is. I'd say you passed with flying colors even if you felt like you couldn't do it. Most people would have given up and even more wouldn't have even tried in the first place. 

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

Didn't spezzy make you guys get close to passing out? Weren't thrusters and burpees involved? 

I hung out over a trashcan for a while after that workout. I didn't even think of that one. My reference was more to squat fairies and the deadlift spins. Still get those once in a while after repping TnG deadlifts. 

It happens.

I totally recommend a yogurt- couple pieces of cheese- something with some protein in them that are not super duper heavy that will help get you through your workout.

I get really lightheaded and nauseated too if I don't eat. And I've been doing this shit for a hot minute. 

Just go back in there and say- hey I had something to eat sooner this time and I have my Gatorade... grab a trashcan and place it wear you will be and tell her to hammer it again.  

Puking while it isn't great- it isn't the end of the world- I puked on many a run and many a workout while I was in school- I've mastered the art of puke running.. it's totally a thing.  Your body adjusts and then you get better. :)  You'll be fine. 

You want video of CoreyD and I almost passing out of the squat rack? because I know for a fact that we've both done it... 

and we're not exactly "dainty flowers".

Does this make me a sick person if I say yes?

I just got back from the 2nd trainer and explained what happened and how it scared me. Her eyes got big when I mentioned I ate at 12:30 and then nothing until the workout at 6:15. She then asked when/what I ate last and that if I hadn't eaten before I came today, she'd have sent me home and rescheduled.

Today was better, but I still felt like I was right on that edge... like one more of her squat jump pullups and I was going to squat jump and throw up, then pass out.  

I'm still lingeringly nauseated, like I couldn't dream of eating right now, even though she said I need to go home and have protein.

This is all just such a very new sensation and it has me -completely- out of my comfort zone.

This is all just such a very new sensation and it has me -completely- out of my comfort zone.

Excellent! That's a good place to be for all sorts of reasons.

I will also tell you what I told a newcomer to our crossfit box (after she finished puking). It doesn't (or shouldn't) get easier. You don't really want your workouts to get easier. BUT you do sort of get accustomed to that verge-of-puking/passing out/ dying feeling. My theory is that the first few times it happens, your brain is convinced you're dying and sends all sort of panic signals out telling your muscles to shut down and trying to make you stop. Eventually that seems to subside and you know that you can push to that point or a little further and it's going to be ok. 

Guest Dirty Deads

I always like to say to people- you don't get "good" at them.

You just suck less.

Although I feel like the "go every time till you puke thing" is HIGHLY overrated.  

Yes it is overrated. It's very old school mentality. No wonder old school bodybuilders ate so much. They had to put it back in after puking.

Although I feel like the "go every time till you puke thing" is HIGHLY overrated.  

Overrated yah... but if you have the ability to recover from it, you are going to improve really really fast.

There was a whole discussion somewhere else on the forum for why this happens, and pretty much the answer is noone knows. We couldn't come up with any good reason for it exactly... I've been in what I considered really good shape and still felt like I was gonna puke after doing a sprint set in the middle of swim season.  It's just the feeling you get when you've really pushed yourself to the limit no matter how much food or what you have, it just happens.  I felt that way doing the squat ladder challenge for the warriors last week even...

LVL 3: Zoran Warrior

STR:9 | DEX:5 | STA:10 | CON:5 | WIS:12.75 | CHA:9

Current Challenge: Not Really A 6 Week Challenge Challenge

Previous Challenges: 1st2nd

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. Good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

It's your body's way of saying I SERIOUSLY_ NO REALLY REALLY REALLY don't want to do this any more LOL

It's definitely something that isn't going to slow me up- but I just don't see a point- I have reached a level where I train hard all the time- but still don't puke. I don't need to train that hard- it serves no purpose most of the time.  I'm not in boot camp- at school for hell week or going through any sort of para military thing.  So yeah- nope- not a point. 

My concern is that I've never seen it happen to someone else. I realize that it does happen, but the trainer seemed almost caught off guard. Almost like she was saying "it happens" to make me feel better, but in reality, she hasn't seen it that much.

I guess now, I'm technically just whining over a bruised ego. But seriously, on a social level, it sucks to be pushed that hard and publicly crack. If I could have the opportunity to be a bystander and see that same wall occur for someone else, I'd feel less like the fat kid in gym class who has to go to the nurse.