Forums are back in action! ×

2 weeks off...what was I thinking?!

Hey guys,

So I was on Level Two of the Rebel Fitness Guide, I'd been exercising consistently since March (working my way up from Level One) and then 2 weeks ago I went on holiday for a week, and my eating habits kind of went to pot and I decided I could probably take a break from the lifting.

Then I came back and missed my Monday workout so figured 'Hey, I'll wait until next week, I hate not having a routine, and Monday, Wednesday, Friday are my lifting days.' Throughout this week my diet was even WORSE than the previous week.

So, it came to Monday this week, and I couldn't get to the gym, but I knew if I didn't go on Tuesday then I'd fall into every bad cycle I've ever had before where I'd fall off the wagon and put back on the stone that I've lost since March, so I thought to myself 'Screw routine! For this week only you can lift on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, then get back to normal!'

I could BARELY finish the workout. The lunges left my legs shaky and I was seriously worried I might not be able to stand; my planks were atrocious because my legs kept slipping, unable to hold themselves up, and I struggled with a 20kg barbell that was manageable before.

I couldn't finish with the 20 minute jog/sprint session because I just didn't think my legs would cope.

Has anyone ever taken a prolonged break from exercising and then gone back to it? Any tips? I'm taking it slowly, but not TOO slowly, because I don't want to half-ass it just because I feel like I should 'ease myself in'. I should also note my diet is back on track, smoothies for breakfast, and as paleo-as-possible meals the rest of the time.

Will I fall back into this?! I would hate to have undone all my progress for 2 weeks off.

Even though I felt like a failure, I have to admit that NF has clearly had a big impact on me. The old PD would have given up and gone home for a takeaway. The old me is determined to get back to my best. I will NOT give up!

Thanks guys! Hope you're all well :D

PD.

"It's hard to accept yourself as someone you don't desire; as someone you don't want to be." Laura Marling, 'Rambling Man'

Thanks so much you guys. I breathed a huge sigh of relief there, I had these images in my head of everything going to pot because of those 2 weeks off.

I'll take it a bit easier tomorrow and try and get back to where I was next week and see how I go.

Thank you again for your advice guys! :D Also, that's really good to know about taking 5-10 days off occasionally. I'm going abroad for a week in September so it's good to know that one week won't set me back a great deal.

PD

"It's hard to accept yourself as someone you don't desire; as someone you don't want to be." Laura Marling, 'Rambling Man'