Forums are back in action! ×

Does this happen to anybody else?

I fast twice a week for 24 hours, from after dinner the previous night to dinner on my fast day.

Usually on these days I only do morning cardio, but now I'm ramping up and adding a weight routine in the afternoon. 

After 20 or 25 minutes working out I feel like Gumby; not normal tired, but weak. Really wrung out.

Has anybody had this experience? Should I break my fast before working out? I hope I didn't break something important ;-P                   

Thanks,

Barfly

The past is only smoke in a dream.

Lvl 6 Ranger Berzerker

STR 9 DEX 4 STA 9 CON 8 WIS 2 CHA 8

Barfly ain't even tryin'...

Sounds pretty normal for what you're doing. Two things are causing this:

1. You're working out in a fasted state, and

2. It sounds like you might be doing weightlifting... after cardio? Not sure from your post. But if that's the case, that tends to exhaust people very quickly. Most people find it easier to weightlift before cardio.

Cowardly Assassin
Training Log | Challenges: Current8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st

Skip weight training on an empty tank. Without additional aminos floating around you can't do any repair, so you are just causing muscle degradation. That's why the meat heads (myself included) always crush a protein shake or a very proteinacious meal immediately following their training. If you want to fast, do so by all means. Leave the iron for when you are in a fed, or even overfed state.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

Got it, thanks! I'll be moving my fasting window back 6 hours or so before a weight training day, eat before and do a recovery drink after.

PaulG - yep, kinda have to do cardio first thing in the morning. It gets waaay too hot here (central Cal) to run by 9 or 10 a.m.

Exorcisto - degradation? oh yeah, it hurts today :-P

The past is only smoke in a dream.

Lvl 6 Ranger Berzerker

STR 9 DEX 4 STA 9 CON 8 WIS 2 CHA 8

Barfly ain't even tryin'...

No, degradation as in the muscle gets canibalized by the body as a source of fuel, leaving you weaker and slightly smaller than you were before... Fasted resistance training = canibalized muscle = VERY BAD. Like, crossing the streams bad.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"