Forums are back in action! ×

Long time lurker, now officially a member. Hello!

Hey there, another slightly clueless newbie reporting for duty!

I'm a student from Scotland who has been trying to get fitter for years and have somehow ended up worse off than where I started despite being on a degree that requires you to go out and hike, bike, and climb (and more). My first wake up call came at the start of June. I walked maybe 14km and when I got home I realised I'd had my first ever experience of thigh chafing. At that point I started cutting things like fizzy drinks and sweets from my diet. I'm working up to at least a 75% paleo diet by the time I head back to uni in September.

Physically speaking, that particular wake up call happened this Tuesday past. My mother woke me up early to join her for a morning run, and I promptly got my chubby behind kicked by a woman who is almost a pensioner. Not good for an outdoor sports student really, is it? (though good for her!)

I joined here for two main reasons:

--- To get some help forming realistic goals, because, honestly, I suck at setting goals. I've spent a long time being the 'lose a little weight' or 'bike a little further' person. Nothing definite, nothing with a good path of progression.

--- And I won't lie, I find it difficult to keep going without some kind of social aspect. Running with my mother is all very well, but the majority of my friends are scattered about the country, meaning that I'm starting out alone. It's scary, and I'm hoping being a part of a community that is going for the same kind of thing will help out a little.

So, cheers for reading and apologies for the rambling!

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

Hello!

Welcome to the most awesome, helpful forum on the entire internet!

Congratulations on your fitness 'Road to Damascus' experience; you'd be surprised by how many of them involve people being shown up by ladies of a (near) pensionable age.

There are tons of helpful people here who can easily answer any questions you ask and will seriously  give you a boot up the arse (metaphorically) if you're feeling demotivated- providing you ask them nicely enough. Of course, now you've signed up you're going to have to properly join in by starting a battle log, begin preparing for the start of the next six week challenge, post embarrassing pictures of yourself, that sort of thing. If you really want to stay motivated and work towards goals, having a record of everything you are doing is key as you can refer back to it to see how you're progressing and if you're feeling a little disheartened, you can glory in how far you've come.

Also, as it's online where the other forum members can see it, you've got to keep it up to date and keep moving forward as people will notice any slip ups and judge you!

Just kidding. everyone is amazingly supportive and there are some really inspirational stories that can't help but make you want to become the very best you can.

Now get out there and kick some serious behind!

Heh, yep, somehow sticking to something is always easier if you know that people out there know about what you're doing and are watching you. Judgement is a powerful motivator! I've been reading up on these six week challenges as well, and I have to say, can't wait until the next one rolls around, I'm actually looking forward to starting one. 

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

Archived