Forums are back in action! ×

A problem with lunges

So as part of my workout I've been trying to do Lunges. However, I seem to be unable to perform them correctly. I understand intellectually how to do them. Back straight, knees bent at a ninety degree angle and up and down like an elevator. However at a certain point I seem to just collapse down and bang my knee against the floor and when I try to hold on to something I tend to lean toward one side.

Any useful tips to help me perform these exercises properly?

Start slow. Go as far as you can go without falling over/buckling and as long as you're doing the right form (up until your stopping point obviously) then you'll start getting stronger. When I first started lunges I couldn't do them half as deep as I can do them now.

As far as balancing, it's okay to tip a little until you regain your balance ;)

Anxious, but ambitious! Current challenge: Undermining the Conspiracy

Find me on Twitter or maybe Instagram

Posture posture posture. Before you do your lunge, stand straight with both feet side by side. See how your spine is straight, hips square to the front, the vertebrae stacked like coins right from the very base of your tailbone to your neck. Then, take a long step forward into your lunge. Before you bend your knees and lower, check your spine again. Stacked, hips square, vertebrae straight right down to the base of your tailbone. Keep your core firm to hold that posture as you lower, and your balance will be WAY better.

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

I have massive trouble with lunges, keeping balance while going deep enough etc, and my PT showed me that I could do them facing a wall, leaning a little forward with my arms out forward so I'm just using my fingers to stablise. It really helped me and I got a lot more done - which I definitely need to do to get the strength up for future hardcore lunging.

I have a lot of trouble with balance exercises as well. What I find works for me is imagining that there is a plum line attacked the to top of my head going through the rest of my body. Wherever the plum line goes is where my center of gravity is. Whenever I get off kilter I try and use my obliques to balance myself out, which helps a lot. Using your core to shift your center of gravity avoids any over compensating that comes from spastic flailing of arms :P

Instead of stepping into it, you can start with your legs already in the "stepped" position, and try starting the motion from there. Do all your prescribed reps, just up and down, before returning to the fully upright position, and switching legs. This way you're not fighting the momentum that comes with each individual step.

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

Instead of stepping into it, you can start with your legs already in the "stepped" position, and try starting the motion from there. Do all your prescribed reps, just up and down, before returning to the fully upright position, and switching legs. This way you're not fighting the momentum that comes with each individual step.

Seconded - I do pulses in lunge position, 3 sets of 10 on each leg