Forums are back in action! ×

I achieved 10 pull ups this morning!

Guest asdf

My main goal for this 6 week challenge has been to increase my pull ups to a minimum of 10 reps. Today I did the minimum! I just had this feeling while getting up this morning that today was the day, so I went to my pull up bar and did it. I have no idea how I knew; there was just some sort of intuition about it. I haven't been doing hanging pull ups yet because they're harder and I want more strength before working on them, but I did 10 perfect form pull up starting from a standing position with my arms fully extended, and my chin cleared the bar every time. So far I can only one set of 10, but one set is better than none at all. 

In general, right now I feel like a badass and can already tell that this is going to be a fantastic day from beginning to end. BAZINGA!

Congrats! What kinds of exercises did you do to gain the strength? I am still unable to do a pull-up and its killing me.

Lvl 8 ◠Half-Elf breaking free of an Ogre’s body ◠Ranger
STR 11.5; DEX 2; STA 19.5; CON 13; WIS 13; CHA 5
Fire Flower Power-up
“Things Do Not Happen. Things Are Made to Happen†– John F. Kennedy

My current challenge

2014 - My Year of Badassery (Battle Log)

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

#1; #2; #3; #4, #5, #6, #7, #8

Congrats! What kinds of exercises did you do to gain the strength? I am still unable to do a pull-up and its killing me.

Hey Wayne. So to answer your question, I did a lot of the following two pull exercises, and variations of pushups like regular, close-hands, wide hand and shoulder press. 

Let me ins

I do them with actually grabbing the door handle and usually with my palms facing down, and the farther you put your feet forward the harder they get

Let me ups

This is the video I found to start helping me increase my pull ups. For the first couple of weeks I followed the program to a tee but then found out after two weeks that my body couldn't maintain doing that, so I cut back. I think day 2 would be the most helpful to you for now. Do the negatives of the pull ups. 

But to be completely honest, you'll be best off in the long run doing a comprehensive bodyweight training program. You Are You Own Gym by Mark Lauren is in my opinion a very good starting point because it isn't overwhelming and the exercises are very straightforward. His program progresses in a manner that will eventually have you doing pull ups among many other impressive things if you follow it consistently. At times it is a bit challenging and will definitely make you sore all over, but the beauty of BW training is that you can always modify how you do any exercise to make it doable, and in long run you'll get the best strength results from a comprehensive program like Mark's or something similar.

I wasn't sure how to answer your question, but I tried my best to do so and I truly hope this helps, even if just a little bit. You are more than welcome to message me personally more about this if you would like to.

One of my challenge goals is 10 chins, too. I knocked out a set of 7 then a set of 5 before I got ready for work this morning.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

I wasn't sure how to answer your question, but I tried my best to do so and I truly hope this helps, even if just a little bit. You are more than welcome to message me personally more about this if you would like to.

That is very helpful! Thanks!

Lvl 8 ◠Half-Elf breaking free of an Ogre’s body ◠Ranger
STR 11.5; DEX 2; STA 19.5; CON 13; WIS 13; CHA 5
Fire Flower Power-up
“Things Do Not Happen. Things Are Made to Happen†– John F. Kennedy

My current challenge

2014 - My Year of Badassery (Battle Log)

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

#1; #2; #3; #4, #5, #6, #7, #8

Thanks for the support everyone! Its good to know people have my back. :D

and such a muscular back it is too, obviously :)

nice one

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask