Forums are back in action! ×

It's dangerous to go alone! Take this.

Hello Nerd Fitness community!  I've been lurking for a while, but I figured I'd dip my toe in the water and start posting before the next 6 week challenge commences.

My name is Liz.  I'm 29 and I live in Portland, OR with my husband, two cats, and three chickens.  I've always been a nerd, from card/board/video games to sci-fi/fantasy books to theatre.  These days I am mostly nerdy about wine and food.

About 3 months ago I decided that I wanted to be in the best shape of my life by the time I hit 30.  Since then, I've lost 10 pounds, gone from barely being able to run 3 miles in 40 minutes to doing 3 miles in 30 minutes and increasing my longest distance to 10.5 miles, and decided to revisit weight lifting.  The running is entirely thanks to Zombies, Run!  Best.  Program.  Ever.

I used to lift when I was in high school because I threw discus for our Track and Field team but it has been about 10 years, so I'm sorely out of practice.  My job is pretty active, so I haven't gotten completely out of shape, but I really want to get stronger.

As far as diet goes, I will definitely not be going paleo anytime soon...or ever.  I love bread and grains and charcuterie and cheese is my favorite thing ever.  I do eat pretty healthy--very little processed food (aside from the aforementioned charcuterie and cheese), not much refined sugar, lots of fresh veggies.  I really want to start getting more protein in my diet, which is hard because I'm used to eating mostly vegetarian.  I've been trying to get more lean meats into my diet to help with this.  I know a lot of people recommend protein powders/shakes, but something about that really doesn't sit well with me.  I like to get my nutrients from food, if that makes sense.  I do eat a lot of greek yogurt, so that helps.

My goals:

*Increase strength and muscle definition

*Continue to increase running speed and distance.  I want to run a half marathon in September and my goal time is 2 hours and 15 minutes.

*Increase flexibility

*Eat more protein

I picked up a copy of The New Rules of Lifting For Women and have started doing the lifting program.  Currently I'm trying to do at least two lifting days a week on top of 2 - 3 running days.  I work a lot and commute an hour and 15 minutes each way, so it's hard to fit in more than that.

I'm hoping that the community here will be able to offer encouragement and help, especially with the lifting.  I look forward to getting to know you all and leveling up my life!

Level 1 Amazon Ranger

STR: 2 | DEX: 1 | STA: 2 | CON: 2 | WIS: 1 | CHA: 2

Team #ZAP

Current Challenge | Previous Challenges: 1 | Epic Quest

myfitnesspal

"Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."

Archived