Forums are back in action! ×

Just joined and a bit lost

Hi everyone!

I've used this site to browse in the past, but thought it was time to jump in with commitment. 

I'm planning on adopting a mostly paleo diet, plus starting to exercise slowly. 

I lost a lot of weight (over 100lbs) slowly a couple of years ago, but I got really strict with my calories and I think my body rebelled and now I've gained about 85lbs back. I weighed today and the scales were not great - 17st 7lbs - but at least I have my starting point again. 

I think I need to let go of my past weight loss and subsequent failures. Lately I have tried doing the James Duigan diet, which basically cuts sugar and wheat and encourages more meats and veggies, but still includes rice, oats and dairy. I'm not sure where to start with this, as I have a habit of being an all or nothing person and try to jump in and do everything at once - which I think is the first newbie mistake!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, on what steps I should take during my first week - should I transition onto paleo, or maybe start by cutting wheat and sugar immediately? I'm unsure. I have taken some photos of me in my underwear, as a starting point and I think I'll make a post later in the journal section. Right now I have to go to work for a couple of hours. 

I haven't eaten breakfast yet, because my body isn't really hungry for it, so I figure I'll eat when I get back at 11.30am. Not sure if this is wise?

Hopefully I'll get to know some of you soon :)

Level 1 Rebel

STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Challenge Battle Log

I know very little about paleo so I won't be any help there but a bit of advice encouragement? Don't think of gaining the weight back back as a failure, think of it as a learning experience. You have learned that drastic calorie reduction is not sustainable long term. 

My other suggestion is eat something in the morning, even if you aren't terribly hungry. It doesn't have to be a huge meal just at least something. Why? Because it will jump start your metabolism for the day. There are some mornings I have to force myself to eat (really important for me because if I don't my blood sugar falls through the floor in a matter of 2 hours). My point is it may feel odd, and be hard but try and eat something before you start your work/errands/etc. for the day.

And in this existence, I'll stay persistent

And I'll make a difference, and I will have lived it- MFTP

Battle Log

Just wanted to pop in and say hi, I'm a newbie too and will also be following the paleo principle.  Well met!  

For the breakfast thing, I've been having a very basic smoothie just to have something in the morning as it has been really hot, causing me not to have much of an appetite.  Frozen berries, almond or coconut milk, protein powder--technically not paleo since it's brown rice or pea protein--and a touch of stevia if needed.

The other light breakfast that I love is a bowl of sliced almonds, blueberries and raspberries, with almond/coconut milk poured over like a bowl of cereal.  Sprinkle some cinnamon and stevia, and it's a lovely alternative to cereal.

Anyway, rootin' for you on your journey!

Eating breakfast every day is one of the first goals I set for myself.  I am NOT a breakfast eater.  So I hardboiled a dozen eggs.  Now I have NO excuse not to eat at least something.  I got a Nutribullet on the advice of a friend, and I usually have a midmorning green smoothie to get the fruit/veggies in that I miss at breakfast.  Takes literally a minute to make and clean up, and they're surprisingly drinkable.  I'm trying to go strict, so I don't use powder, but I do throw in flax, or chia, or nuts.

I'm an AWESOME dieter.  Really.  I've lost hundreds of pounds during my life.  I just keep finding them again.  So this time, I'm really looking to make lifestyle changes and not be on a diet.  If it's easier to transition to that by making one or two changes at a time, rather than going whole hog and not being able to keep it up indefinitely, seems to me that would be a realistic way to set goals.  Each week, I try to do one new thing.  Hopefully we can help each other out :)

Level 2 Halfling Adventurer

Strength 1 Dexterity 1 Stamina 3 Constitution 4 Wisdom 3 Charisma 2

Current Challenge Thread

First Challenge Thread

Fit to Eat: my posts on the Sweatpants & Coffee Site

Hi, everyone and thanks for the breakfast tips. I actually always usually eat breakfast - it's just that I wasn't hungry that early the other day, so wondered if I should listen to my body instead. Today I woke up ready for breakfast though! I've started tracking my foods on my daily battle log now, so far so good with the paleo :)

Level 1 Rebel

STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Challenge Battle Log

If you find it too difficult to stick strictly to Paleo in the first few days or couple of weeks, you can always go back and reduce intake of the bad foods (heavy carbs, heavy sugars). I had to do that after just one week of going 80% Paleo because my body reacted very badly. But after the two weeks and a little bit of suffering, the cravings subsided and things are moving along at a better pace. 

I've also found that the best thing to do is to have lots of people to share your journey with, whether in your personal life or on here. We are all trying to level up our lives together, so we can also keep each other accountable. It is fun too. :) 

Archived