Forums are back in action! ×

latest addition

Hey, newest addition to the community here.

I'm a 24 year old, 6'1", 135 lb male bean pole. It's been about 3 years since I was in good physical shape (and even then, only cardio, I've never done real strength training).

A month or two ago, I started working out sporadically, but it's time for me to get serious about my health. I'm cutting out the soda and junk food, cutting back and hopefully fully quitting cigarettes, and trying to put together a real workout regiment with attainable goals.

I just did the beginners body weight routine, and it felt great. I have a few questions, though.

If I do the body weight routine every other day, is it too hard on my legs to run on my off days?

Also, do I need to add days of total rest every now and then, or is just rotating targeted muscle groups enough?

And finally, I weigh 135lb and I have never weighed more than about 140lb. If my target weight is 150lb, what kind of time frame is realistic so that I can set tangible goals for 140, 145, and 150? And if I am trying to bulk up, should I still be targeting lean protein sources, or can I be more lax about my fat intake?

Thanks for any help!

First: holy shit. How are you alive?

Second: regarding food. You can eat ALL the things if you are trying to gain weight. Seriously. Did you read Steve's post about how he would take shots of olive oil? Just do it.

With the bodyweight workout, you might be too sore at first to do any kind of crazy running at first. Some light stretching ought to do you. But listen to your body - if you can do MOAR, then do MOAR. 

Targeted muscle groups: like upper/lower, chest/back/legs kind of thing? The best bang for your buck will be the big compound movements - squats, deadlifts, pressing, pulling. And if you want to gain weight - the RIGHT kind of weight - you'll definitely need to make sure you have a GOOD strength program.

Re: running - why? If you enjoy it, that's great, but keep in mind that calories you burn while running - you're just going to have to eat later. It takes a dedicated caloric surplus to gain.

I don't know about timeframe. Ask Waldo. He's an expert.

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

First off, thanks for the advice!

I just found nerd fitness yesterday, so I don't know the article you're talking about, but I'm digging deeper and deeper, I'm sure I'll find it soon enough.

Also, the reason I want to run a lot is because I'm not just trying to bulk up, I also am trying to get on a good ultimate Frisbee team (I used to play a lot, and it's one of the best motivators for myself, I've found). Is it going to really limit my ability to add weight if I'm doing cardio also? (I plan on doing interval training for my running).

Finally, do you think body weight exercises will be enough to build mass? Or will I have to graduate to free weights, etc. to see the results I want?

Interval training is good! I think it'll match up with your goals nicely. Just do a few short HIIT workouts a week and that should help you increase your capacity. For instance, I run .47 miles (I know, I'm anal) to the gym every day. I don't do any other running. When Mr. MirGSS and I went on vacation, I was able to run 2-2.5 miles at a much faster pace than I was previously. (Note: I wouldn't want to train for a marathon like that, but for shorter distances it's totally doable.)

I'm not as familiar with bodyweight exercises as some around here, but I would say that you can probably build some pretty solid mass doing just bodyweight stuff - as long as you're increasing in difficulty when a particular exercise gets easy. This is another one where I will defer to Waldo (you should check out his challenge thread - it's in the Assassin's Guild, called "Waldo and the abz part 2"). You might also want to ask specific questions in the Assassins' area - those are the bodyweight folks.

Me, I'm a Warrior through and through. Love my barbarella ;) So if you're interested in that at all, definitely come check out the Warriors Guild.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have!

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Archived