Forums are back in action! ×

Greetings, fellow travelers.

Greetings, fellow travelers. I'm M, the 13th letter.

I've been a long-time NF reader, and in a moment of let's-do-this-before-I-have-time-to-overthink-this-yet-again, I signed up here.

At daytime (usually), I study maths. More or less, that is... right now, I'm probably doing more teaching maths to unsuspecting undergraduates and (procrastinating on) writing term papers than really studying maths. (Oh, and like right now, I'm writing this post. So there.) Then, at nighttime (usually), I do hobbyist programming projects as, well, a hobby. Such projects might be writing worker programs that act upon incoming e-mail messages or RSS feed entries, e.g. automatically downloading an offline copy of videos from Youtube. Or perhaps coercing my homebrew note taking program to directly use git for storing the notes data.

So yeah, I know. Worst. Superhero. Alter. Ego. Ever.

(Also, my "heritage" as a mathematician and programmer tends to give rise to idiosyncrasies in my writing, such as excessive use of bracketed comments (no, really!), bracketed comments on bracketed comments (like this one), multiple subordinate clauses, lists within sentences and "logical" punctuation at the "wrong" side of brackets and quotation marks, all of which I believe I used in this sentence.)

In other news, I've been a long-term martial arts practitioner, and I feel like a monk at heart (philosophically at least... physical form is a different matter entirely). Despite that, I'm currently working on adding some dedicated (non-weightlifting) warrior and assassin training on the side to complement my monk training. All strength and acrobatics exercises I've done within my martial arts classes seem haphazard and unfocused to me (think: warm-up exercises, stuff we do for fun just because we can, etc.), as if, unlike for the martial art's actual forms, there were no "grand plan" for how to progress to mastery.

As for training plans, I have one for non-weightlifting strength training, but none really for assassin-y acrobatics. I have yet to look.

I signed up for the rebellion primarily for the accountability which I've heard you rebels excel at. Also, the 6-week challenges sound like, well, a challenge. I'll do one of these on the next occasion. (Case in point: after signing up, I noticed I was completely out-of-sync with the schedule of the 6-week challenges, despite having followed NF for a long time. Oh well...)

And that, as they say, is that.

M (the 13th letter). Lvl 6 Elven Monk.

Mathematics, computer science, martial arts and bodyweight strength training. Also, sometimes, fiction.

Hello, world!

Challenges: “Consistency†⟶ “Preparation†⟶ “Multiplexing†⟶ “Sanity†⟶ “Escape†⟶ “Lockdown†⟶ “Probation†⟶ “Detention†⟶ “Foundationâ€(×3) ⟶ “All In!†⟶ “Happy Hourâ€

Ooh... Wow. I saw the 6 Week challenge thing and thought it was July 3... Great. I have two weeks to psych myself up for it! 

Welcome, M! What's our next mission?

Love the idea of being a Warrior/Monk/Assassin Cross class... That sounds decidedly powerful once you get into the higher levels!

Archived