Forums are back in action! ×

Challenger Approaching!

Hello all!

Bit of info about myself as I am now first:

I'm a 24 year old guy living in the Midlands, United Kingdom. I work as a software developer and am a quite avid gamer, so as a result I spend FAR too much time on my backside. Combine this with a few years of eating absolute rubbish and smoking and you have a reasonably overweight and very unfit guy.

One midnight coughing fit too many and I've decided this is going to change.

I've started weightlifting at a local gym, and I've been running around the local park for a few weeks now in an effort to get fit (not a treadmill fan, I'd prefer to pound concrete). I'm planning on taking kick boxing classes once I have determined which of the nearby clubs are worth attending. I've switched over to using an electronic cigarette and I am reducing my usage of it to try and bring myself off the nicotine addiction.

I've also started a transition over to a paleo diet, which at the moment has involved switching out my sugary snacks for carrots and celery, and avoiding processed meats and foodstuffs where possible. This is something I'm going to be researching as time goes on. Next on the agenda is to start cooking meals at home and bringing meals to work with me to up the protein intake.

My current goals are as follows:

1. Be able to deadlift, benchpress, shoulder press and squat my CURRENT bodyweight well before christmas '13 (100~kg), currently hitting 40kg on 3/4 of those lifts.
  2. Beat my co-worker at a competition over body fat reduction, winner determined by highest % BF lost before Sept 30th. Loser hands over £15 to the winner, winner is obligated to spend (minimum) that bet money plus their own bet, £30 in total, on new clothing to fit their new figure.
  3. Manage a 5k at a running pace (slow run is fine, just no jogging) by September

My (rough)battle plan, which is still being fleshed out:

1. More regular gym trips (Every other weekday, allowing recovery days inbetween, plus some weekend sessions)
  2. Get myself to a kickboxing class
  3. Keep transitioning into paleo, aiming to be at minimum 80% paleo before the end of my compeition
  4. knock the nicotine entirely
  5. More weightlifting, less cardio (keep doing cardio enough to hit my 5k goal

I'm very much an amateur when it comes to fitness, so any input would always be massively helpful! I'm not sure whether my goals are reasonable due to inexperience.

I am also keeping a Google docs spreadsheet on my progress, which I will be willing to share once I've more fully established some goals.

Here's to the future!

Tutunga

Welcome to the NF family Tutunga. It looks like you're off to a good start already.  In order to increase your lifts, why don't you look at something like Strong Lifts or Starting Strength.  I have no doubt that on these programs you will definitely have squashed that goal, long before Christmas :)  You could even join the warriors for the next challenge starting 29 July, (in the meantime start a battle log as a mini challenge).  There are plenty of resources and helpful people here to guide, motivate and encourage you in your goals.

We look forward to seeing your progress.

Good Luck xx

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

AngelBlaidd: Thanks for the welcome! I've taken a brief look at starting strength, not long been home from work so reading that properly is on tonights to do list.

wideeyed: Yeah its working reasonably well, i'm kind of missing the satisfaction of throwing away a finished cigarette, but otherwise its pretty good so far.

Archived