Forums are back in action! ×

Feeling tried due to waking up during the night

I feel tried all the time even though I go to bed at 9:30. It's not so bad that it stops me from doing anything because I'm too tried but it is really annoying.

I think the main problem is that I wake up during the night. This is because this challenge I made going to bed at 9:30 one of my goals because I felt tried like I do now and after a couple of nights I felt great. Than I had one nights bad sleep and kept waking up thirsty more than once during the night. This led me to drink more. Only now I wake up needing to use the toilet.

Is there anything I can do to stop waking up during the night?

STR – 24.45, DEX – 13.50, STA – 23.50, CON – 21.40, WIS – 27.65, CHA – 4.50
When the sun comes up, you better start running - Thomas Friedmen
Epic Quest - Current Challenge - Twitter - Goodreads - Fitbit - blog

If you're waking up in the night to use the bathroom, don't drink right before bed. If you stay consistently well hydrated through the day you can probably lay off the liquids an hour or so before bed, have a good pee right before you get into bed, and call it good. If that leaves you waking up thirsty, adjust the time between your last liquid intake and bedtime until you find something that works. If you can't find some balance that lets you sleep through the night, maybe get the whole urinary system checked out, if something's out of whack it could be making you pee more than your should, or feel like you have to go more urgently than you do.

Also, take a look at what you're drinking and when. I find I have much more trouble sleeping and staying asleep if I have caffeine and/or sugary drinks too late in the day. I could drink a tonne of water right before bed and be fine, but if I drank a bit of tea or coffee, or and energy drink, I'm doomed, even if it was earlier in the afternoon and not near bedtime.

Are you sure you're waking up because you have to use the bathroom, or are you waking up for other reasons and once you're awake realize you have to go? It might be hard to tell, but if you manage to sort out your middle-of-the-night-bathroom-trip issues and are still waking up, it might be some other issue that's waking you up.

Dare mighty things

The question of what are you drinking, I think, is a good one. I used to drink coffee all day (not literally), usually having the last one around, say, 8 or 9PM. I'd argue that it didn't affect my ability to sleep til I was black and blue in the face, but would struggle with the same thing - almost without fail, about half way through the night I'd be waking up for a pee break. 

Then I brought it back. Cutting my coffee out after midday made a huge change in my sleep patterns. 

If it is just water we're talking about, then I'd back up what Obax had to say - the big thing's going to be finding the balance point, and also ensuring that it is actually to do with the bathroom that is actually waking you up. There could be any number of things that are disturbing your sleep which then lead to this, "Oh, I'm awake... Right, bathroom time!" symptom.

I normally only drink water after about 3pm. So based on what obax said I will work on cutting down the amount of water I drink right before bed

STR – 24.45, DEX – 13.50, STA – 23.50, CON – 21.40, WIS – 27.65, CHA – 4.50
When the sun comes up, you better start running - Thomas Friedmen
Epic Quest - Current Challenge - Twitter - Goodreads - Fitbit - blog

There may be a bright side -  if  you are losing weight, you get rid of most of it via your kidneys :)  It's annoying getting up in the middle of the night to pee, but for me, it generally means that I'm losing weight.  Are you still thirsty all the time too? Might want to get your blood sugar tested.

Level 2 Halfling Adventurer

Strength 1 Dexterity 1 Stamina 3 Constitution 4 Wisdom 3 Charisma 2

Current Challenge Thread

First Challenge Thread

Fit to Eat: my posts on the Sweatpants & Coffee Site