Forums are back in action! ×

First Bar Muscle Up

I've been working on these things for a long, long, time.  It really has been the focus of my efforts this year.  Finally got em.

I've been able to do one arm at a time for about a year, but transitioning both arms at the same time is much more difficult.  One arm at a time, chicken wing muscle ups, look terrible and really don't "count".

This video is my very first one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9tg7g2NlAk

Did 3 more good reps after this during the workout (none in succession, each was its own set with a break, can't do multiples yet).

Been a long long road to get to this point.  Now, to get rid of the kip.....

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

nice and smooth!

Now I expect to see a no-kip, explosive MU from you by the end of this year. (no pressure:p )

Do you think your recent cut had a lot to do with it, or just your training in general?

To find piece with myself
I must first find a piece of myself

Congratulations Waldo! Awesome work!

Only a little kip and nice and smooth. Looked damn sexy if you ask me :o

I've been working on these too. I'm not too far off a ring mu, but it's the bar mu I want and no where close on that! Working on my high pulls, which I suck at! Also jump mu's to get the hang of the transition. It's the hieght over the bar I struggle with, but that should come with time. Any other suggestions to add in? 

Congrats again fella!!

Level 2 Lycan Assassin

| Str 19 | Dex 10 | Sta 7.5 | Con 4 | Wis 7 | Cha 3.5 |

Challenge 1 Challenge 2 Challenge 3

Pain is temporary, embrace it

Congratulations once again - you definitely deserve it :)

PS: Don't dislocate your shoulder getting rid of the kip :) (*touches wood*)

Thanks! Hopefully not on the dislocated shoulder.

nice and smooth!

Now I expect to see a no-kip, explosive MU from you by the end of this year. (no pressure:p )

Do you think your recent cut had a lot to do with it, or just your training in general?

Its hard to do them not smooth. On the rings you can get them ugly. On a bar, if you flip both elbows simultaneous, it is hard for it to look ugly. A certain level of smoothness needs to be there simply to get over the bar.

I think the best training for form improvement from here on will come from doing good negatives on the way down each rep. I can control the whole negative so it should be productive. Strengthening the triceps to power through the transition on the way up. The kip really doesn't add a whole lot, I really suck at kipping. An inability to kip in a useful way has been one of my main hangups. Though I think it was helpful in the sense that I got a lot of work from the top down, I'm pretty strong throught he transition for a MU noob, I don't have much elbow flare at all.

Losing weight had a lot to do with it. I'm 15 lbs lighter than I was in the early spring. When it comes to explosive pulling, thats a lot of weight. But I have been specifically training for this for a while, really focused on it pretty much all of 2013.

Whooooo!! Congratulations! Getting a muscle up is a goal of mine... one day!

Good work, Waldo! :encouragement:

Thanks!

Congratulations Waldo! Awesome work!

Only a little kip and nice and smooth. Looked damn sexy if you ask me :o

I've been working on these too. I'm not too far off a ring mu, but it's the bar mu I want and no where close on that! Working on my high pulls, which I suck at! Also jump mu's to get the hang of the transition. It's the hieght over the bar I struggle with, but that should come with time. Any other suggestions to add in? 

Congrats again fella!!

Lots and lots and lots of high pulls and weighted high pulls, all of them done using a false grip (doesn't need to be an extreme false grip that borders on a wrist "grip"). Ring MU and bar MU use very different technique. For reference I can do about 8-10 bang the bar on my mid chest pulls wearing 20 lbs of ankle weights.

Awesome!  I so look forward to the day I can do that!

Thanks, keep at it and you'll get there.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Brilliant.

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

this is an awesome post!!! I'm so proud of you!!!

makes me sad because I know you are much further ahead of me in the progression train- but I"m not giving up hope!!!

I can't wait to watch the video!!! (stupid work!)

yay- lots of success today all over everywhere- SO EXCITED!