Forums are back in action! ×

Not a complete fitness/diet n00b, but definitely 100% unsure of my direction

Hello folks!

I'm new to this area of the internet.

Currently, I follow the ketogenic diet, along with the other ketopians over on Reddit.  I find that while I've been doing rather well with it, and love feeling full with all the protein and fat, I've been looking towards Paleo and trying to make a long term solution.

At first, keto was glamorous.  Look at me! I can lose 50lbs in 3 months!  Welp, it hasn't been that easy with me.  I tried doing the 'no exercise' thing, and failed hardcore.  I definitely am losing weight, but it has been SUPER SLOW.  Super slow.

My SO is one of those who dropped 50lbs like it was nothing, while as a lady programmer with a desk job, I dropped a sad 15lbs.

Though the number didn't budge, I look completely different.  I'm still on the 'plus size side' but I'm all smoothed out thanks to diet and some weight training.  That leveled off a bit when I stopped going to the gym, for no good reason except that I was being lazy.

Recently, I've started going back to the gym, and trying to do a mix of cardio and strength.  It seems that the only way I drop weight is to include the exercise.  Why?  I dunno.  I could eat any mix of foods, with any number of calories, and my weight loss is bumpy and dumb.  If I add in exercise, I have a nice smooth and simple weight loss.

Whatever.  I just need to keep my head down and stay in the gym.

Anyway, I look forward to your advice and hearing about your adventures!  I'm hoping to move to Paleo in the next few weeks from keto (I'm not giving up on this just quite yet) and trying to find a good way to balance cardio and strength training while not giving up too much of my day to the gym.

The best workout is one that you will stick to and that you enjoy. If you like doing that much stuff, then by all means do it. Personally, I've dropped most of my cardio and am really focused on lifting the heavy weights. Lift heavy, make sure you're getting enough protein, and the weight should come off while still retaining most of your lean mass.

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Yes!  I am always sure to lift heavy.  What I like to do is mix up the two because some days I'm in extreme mode and want to lift lift lift, and others I'm super sore and just want to take a brisk walk.  

I pretty much don't have a routine though.  I just get to the gym as much as possible and try to stay for at least a half hour and give it all I can for that day.

Yes! That's the way to do it!!!

If you're interested in finding a program to follow, try Starting Strength or Stronglifts. If not, as your workout becomes less challenging (as you get stronger and MOAR awesome), feel free to browse around here/ask for suggestions from the nerds!

Glad to have you :)

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Archived