Forums are back in action! ×

Does Anyone Work Graveyard Shifts?

Are you able to still have a social life?

How do you manage working out and diet?

What are your sleep patterns like?

I started working night shifts about a month ago and I am having a really hard time adjusting my routines to my new work and sleep schedule.

I'm hoping to get some ideas and advise from others who may also work night shifts. :fatigue:

I'm an athiest and I thank God for it. -George Bernard Shaw 

If God has made us in his image, we have returned him the favor. -Voltaire 

'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes. -James Morrow

I'll reply more in a bit. ... I'm at work now

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

I had a weird shift for about six months where, between my two jobs, I worked 9am-5pm or 9am-11pm during weekdays, then a single 12am-8am shift on Sundays. Switching between them really wore me out, but I found a few tricks to help myself. Since I'm definitely an introvert, I'm recharged by being alone. I was usually more anxious before my graveyard shift (I need to get to bed soon/do I have everything for work tomorrow/etc) so I tended not to do anything social on Saturdays and focus on relaxing. But after my 12-8 shift I usually felt pretty good and super productive for having already worked eight hours when others were just rising, so I scheduled easy errands for myself before meeting up with friends for coffee or lunch.

It was hard shifting my sleep patterns, but I found that having a solid routine helped me fall asleep faster, as did ear plugs, heavy curtains, and and a white noise app to help me sleep. But admittedly I also had some Zzzquill as a backup if I really felt like I couldn't sleep.

MyFitnessPal

ive been working night shift for almost 4 years. the cycle that works best for me goes like this

my shift starts at 11:00p.m./ 7:00 a.m. my shift ends. i either go to the gym  before going home or i take some time to get stuff done till about noon.

i usually go to sleep between noon and 3:00 p.m. and get back up for work at 10:00 p.m.,

my eating pattern is slightly altered i just took what is normal eating times for people who work day shifts, typically 7 am to 3 pm shift. and placed them around the common hours i am awake, yes i eat at different times but my body is already used the pattern.i also eat a lot more than most because i have a really high metabolism. so i make sure i take lots of food and healthy snacks to work.

as far as social life..... if you find yourself wanting to be around your friends or significant other on your work week you may have a problem with it getting in the way of getting enough sleep, i tend to reserve my weekends for the majority of my social activities, because i can adjust my schedule when i dont have to be at work.

i find there are more pros than cons with night shift, im always up early in the morning when i get off work, so i can go pay bills or go shopping while the businesses are not really busy, my gym isnt very busy in the morning either., and best of all i can put in uninterrupted night long sessions of gaming.

You wanna go karate kick pumpkins in the garage?.....Yup!

Level 1 Dark Elf > all stats to zero.