Forums are back in action! ×

what to do with all my pent-up energy

i've been working out hard 5 or 6 days a week, but the workouts are so short that i feel like i should be doing more. i would normally be able to logic my way out of this and feel ok [your body needs to recover, Hannah, you're doing exactly what you're supposed to be doing every day, etc]. however, it's hard to take this line of reasoning to heart when i have so much energy left over! yesterday, i pushed myself harder than ever before on my morning BBW circuit, and then when noon rolled around i was ready to do it again! and again in the evening! [i didn't actually do the workout at these times, just felt like i should]
i realize this might piss some people off - those of you who work 9-5, have kids/spouse/significant other to tend to, a workout to do, dinner to make, and still find time for yourself in there somewhere. i admire you! but please understand: i graduated from college only a few months ago and since then i've been finding work to do from home. though it pays well, it's sort of scarce and slow-going, so i have lots of down time even though i am actively earning money. this is the first time in my life that i have neither a regular job nor school. all of the free time is great, and i think i deserve it [if i was going back to school in the fall, i would still be on my summer break! summers are supposed to be laid-back, right? and in my book that goes double if you worked your ass off on graduating on time with a good GPA!] but i'd like to put my freedom to good use.
so, i'm wondering if you guys have any ideas for a hobby or even just an activity that could burn off all my excess energy and get me moving and out of the house. walking is great, but kind of boring in my area. i was also thinking i could start trying to sketch stuff outdoors, but that's pretty passive. the frustrating part is that i'm also [half-heartedly] trying to learn the violin and write a book, but whenever i pick up my bow or my pen, my pent-up energy makes me feel like i'm lazy and not active enough. then i end up not doing anything, trolling the NF forums and other websites for hours, and then i get even more upset with myself. so i'm hoping that if i can find something to do that uses up my energy, i'll be able to sit down and write a few lines or screech out a few horrible notes in contented, exhausted peace.
any ideas? [the less money i have to spend, the better!] and am i the only one who has this problem? i'm taking it as a good sign, that my body and mind are coming back to life after being bombarded and beaten down with unhealthy food, inadequate sleep, and constant challenges for the past four years [if not longer!] anyway, let me know what you think!

level 4 elf ranger
STR | 6    DEX | 5    STA | 6    CON | 4    WIS | 4    CHA | 8

Go play at a park... go on the swings, slide down the slide, climb the monkey bars, roll around in the grass. If you have pent up energy, PLAY! Play a lot. Play with great vim and great vigor! A great play session is sometimes exactly what is needed. 

"I was taught that the way of progress was neither swift nor easy." ~~Marie Curie

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honour, Duty, Mercy, Hope. " ~~ Winston Churchill 

Level 1 Human Druid STR 1 DEX 1 STA 1 CON 2 WIS 3 CHA 2  (yes, human. Boring I know.)

Go play at a park... go on the swings, slide down the slide, climb the monkey bars, roll around in the grass. If you have pent up energy, PLAY! Play a lot. Play with great vim and great vigor! A great play session is sometimes exactly what is needed. 

I second this, playgrounds are awesome. Always makes me feel better that I can now climb the monkey bars and couldn't when I was younger.

Just watch out for any handle bars, rammed my head into one the last time I visited my local playground and had a bump on the top of my head for about a week lol

Playgrounds are great! And you're definitely not alone. 

I just graduated college in December - and I was going full-time as well as working - and school was an hour and a half away from work. So, I didn't have a lot of time. When I graduated and got a real job, I was like "Wow! Do ALL the things!" And so I was lifting weights and running and kickboxing and and and.....

It wore off. Until it wears off, feel free to do ALL the things - as long as your body says it's okay!! Just make sure you are not pushing yourself to the point of exhaustion or burning yourself out. Make sure you are eating enough and getting plenty of rest!

You could also try running/biking.

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Go for a hike!  Or even just a walk!  Grab a camera, a bottle of water, and a dog if you have one.  Find a trailhead or a greenbelt or an awesome neighborhood and walk.  Take pictures if you see cool things.  Change your route if you don't see cool things.  And then, when you get back, download an internet blocker and start throwing down some words.

Stay active! If you've got energy to burn, then by all means, burn it! Your body is telling you that it has more to give than you are using in your one workout. Change up your workout, try different things until you create the best workout for yourself. And never stop improving! After each workout, make a list: 3 things you did well, 3 things you need to work on. This will keep you from getting complacent or boring.

And keep up the good work!

I love geocaching. If you have a smart phone, you can use your phone GPS. 

join a team of some sort, or take a class somewhere of gymnastics or yoga

do more errands by walking instead of driving

practice some parkour or balancing skills

do you have a house or yard? gardening is great. Even if you just have a small deck you could do some container gardens

Congrats on graduating college with a good GPA!

thought of something else too:

Do Grease the groove on an excercise you want to improve on. I do pull-ups. Every time I go by my pull up bar I do a pull up. Or you could do something like every hour do x amount of push ups and x amount of squats. Not to failure, not even really to very hard, just to learn the movement and move. 

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

geocaching! oh man, that sounds awesome!! and i've never heard of greasing the groove, but i'd love to apply that to my pullups and pushups. [a question on that note: how do i start greasing the groove of my pullups if i can't even do a single full-and-proper pullup?]
i've been missing the long runs i used to take, and i don't know why i ever stopped. i think i'll start that back up first thing tomorrow morning, after my BBW circuit.  : ]
i hope i can find some adventures to use up my energy on! if i do, i will most def start posting the epic pictures. in the mean time, you all should keep the ideas coming! stories and pics are also welcome.  : ]

level 4 elf ranger

You can also volunteer! 

Animal shelters need people to walk dogs, clean cages, help unload supplies and work their front desks; libraries need people to help sort, clean, file and read to the kiddos for story hour; soup kitchens can always use an extra hand cooking, washing and cleaning; environmental groups are usually involved in park and area clean-ups, tree plantings, school presentations, and web site management; Big Brother/Big Sister can always use educated, motivated and caring people to sponsor kids from less-than-ok homes - all these and plenty more are almost always short-handed in some capacity.

You'll be putting your energy to good use, and feel good about it (and it also looks really good on a resume' too!)

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

went geocaching for the first time today, had a blast until my partner got a wasp sting right between the eyes [so much ouch.] but i also got some playground play time in while hunting for the cache! super good day, and i'm going to make tomorrow even better, with a morning BBW circuit, followed by a nice long run and maybe even a swim!   :)

level 4 elf ranger