Forums are back in action! ×

Young children and body image

In child development, gender shifting is actually incredible normal and will happen anywhere from 3-5 times in early to adolescence. This is not something to be concerned about.  Just because Billy likes to play with dolls and wear pink does not have anything to do with his "masculinity" as he is 8...  Human sexuality is not something that is not something that is on a fixed axis but tends to show a shift with age every 3-10 years.  Hence why we see people in college "experimenting" and such.  As with supposed "weight" problems in children it mostly has to do with the daily interactions that they have.  Unfortunately, we don't really recognize the cues that we give off to children (even our own) that make them think that they need to lose weight or such.  Having a negative attitude, such as telling Suzy that she needs to eat her vegetables so she doesn't get fat, is the wrong way to go about it.  Positive reinforcement is the best way to keep healthy and happy attitudes in children.  Instead, congratulate them on eating their vegetables or cheer for them when they come home sweaty from playing tennis.  Try to avoid using those key words like weight, figure, or anything referring to size and instead maintain a positive mentality and reinforcement!

Level 1 Warforged: Neophyte of the Empty Hand

“The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.â€

Oh, I know. Kevin and Zander will both go through phases... that is totally normal.

That is why I always have them eat their veggies like Captain America; to help them be strong and healthy... I feel that is a much more positive message =D

"I was taught that the way of progress was neither swift nor easy." ~~Marie Curie

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honour, Duty, Mercy, Hope. " ~~ Winston Churchill 

Level 1 Human Druid STR 1 DEX 1 STA 1 CON 2 WIS 3 CHA 2  (yes, human. Boring I know.)

Toby is really into watching American Ninja Warrior with us right now, so we're talking about how eating certain foods will help him be the next American Ninja Warrior. 

It works. 

We don't really do superheroes in our house because they are kind of violent (Toby unfortunately picks up the worst traits so anything with violence, he'll latch onto and start mimicking - we can't watch Kung Fu Panda for this reason either!)  But we talk about how he can be an Air Bender like Aang and he has to eat his veggies to do that too.  

I think this week I may start introducing the chivalrous/knightly side of the Jedi Order and see if I can get him to focus on that rather than the lightsaber stabbing people stuff :-)  

How is that going for you guys?

We've had luck, Zander is back up to his pre-surgery weight again. It drives me bonkers when anybody calls my skinny kids fat. And now that Zander is actually wanting to put on muscle, his grandmother is getting even worse about it... and is trying to compare my sons to their dead aunt... uh, no. Not happening. Sigh

WHAT.

THE.

FUCK.

seriously?  get new grandparents- adopt them- find someone worth while.   That's fucked up.

Toby is really into watching American Ninja Warrior with us right now, so we're talking about how eating certain foods will help him be the next American Ninja Warrior. 

It works. 

This is awesome! Kind of reminds me of how some kids call paleo food "dinosaur food" - you could have ninja food at your house! I hope I remember all this stuff when I have my own kids.

WHAT.

THE.

FUCK.

seriously?  get new grandparents- adopt them- find someone worth while.   That's fucked up.

She's a very fucked up woman... VERY fucked up.

I once heard her tell my husband (her son, mind you) that the wrong kid died. 

"I was taught that the way of progress was neither swift nor easy." ~~Marie Curie

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honour, Duty, Mercy, Hope. " ~~ Winston Churchill 

Level 1 Human Druid STR 1 DEX 1 STA 1 CON 2 WIS 3 CHA 2  (yes, human. Boring I know.)

It works. 

We use UFC, same thing. We've never held back from explaining nutrition, vitamins, minerals, protein, carbs, etc. to our kids.  The older two can now be reliably counted upon to ask people if there's complete proteins in food they get at other houses. :D

Also, C... I have met way too many people like that *hugs*

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

I just go by the philosophy... "Patience is a virtue, so I better be F*cking virtuous."

My oldest is really interested in learning more about food, and exercise... but part of that is because the annoying woman they call "Grandma" keeps calling him chubby. (EGAD!!!!! He is no where close to chubby, you can see pictures of my kids in my album on here)

Thank you for the hugs. sqwee

I don't have children of my own *yet* but had an incident with my niece.

My eldest sister has always lorded over us that she's the prettiest and the skinniest. She bullied my other older sister quite a bit about her weight growing up and I'm sure some of that started to rub off on Alyssa. When I came home for Christmas I got quite a few remarks about how much weight I've lost when we went to the church bazaar. Some of these folks hadn't seen me for six years so it's understandable that my body has changed since I was 17. Alyssa picked up on this and started saying "Auntie, you're so skinny! You're the skinniest!" and needless to say my heart dropped a bit. After a second I told her "No, I don't want to be skinny, I want to be strong!" and made a game out of naming things I could do if I was stronger. She got the message and went around telling her mom and my grandma why she want's to be strong. Here's hoping it has an impact!

Race: Dwarf Class: Ranger Level: 3

STR: 9 | DEX: 7 | STA: 9 | CON: 6 | WIS: 9 | CHA: 8

Current-5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that... You find someone to carry you

It's a little annoying that NOT ONE ARTICLE can go without calling her "cute", "adorable", or both (see my separate rant about every woman in the UFC), but... holy crap, that's awesome. 

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

I'm happy to see someone portrayed that shows lifting heavy weights and being a feminine aren't mutually exclusive. It would be nice if the articles left that out and were just excited such a young female is doing so well. But the main coverage in her right now is GIF's, and if that helps her get sponsorships and bring her closer to her goals then good for her.

Race: Dwarf Class: Ranger Level: 3

STR: 9 | DEX: 7 | STA: 9 | CON: 6 | WIS: 9 | CHA: 8

Current-5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that... You find someone to carry you