Forums are back in action! ×

Ain't nothing like a slap in the face to get one's attention. For example, I went to the doctor's office recently to see if I couldn't get a better anti-inflammatory to treat some gout. Advil was doing some work, but it wasn't doing enough. Halfway into the visit, the gout became a minor concern: my blood pressure is now at a staggering 184/116.

I had browsed Nerd Fitness for a couple of years, thinking it'd be nice to get on board and work towards losing weight and becoming fit, but I never really followed through on it. Now, I'm faced with something that will kill me if I do nothing.

Challenge accepted.

I've never really done a lot to get healthy, but I've read a lot of articles and listened to a lot of people. I feel pretty overwhelmed by all of it. But I know some things I can do now to start making life better for me.

I weigh in at just a few dimes short of 370 lbs. I really like good food. I also really like bread, pasta, and cokes. My size limits how much I can move, but it doesn't limit what I can and can't eat. So I am going to start cutting out cokes and junk food. I want to get comfortable with that so that it isn't a problem when I start cutting out other awful foods, like the obscene amounts of pasta I eat as a staple of my diet. At the same time, I want to start introducing better foods for me. I don't know that I want to do paleo, but I do want to incorporate leaner meats (easy) and actually eat more veggies (not so easy). Well, actually, it's more like start eating veggies period.

When the diet is fixed, I want to learn how to effectively work out. But, one thing at a time. Something I can do now is start walking again. I used to walk 4-5 miles a day out of necessity: I didn't have a car. Then I developed osteoarthritis in my ankles, which meant I needed some wheels. Having not walked much since, there has been a clear difference in how I feel. Perhaps starting with a mile or two each day and building up from there, so long as I work out how not damage my feet in the process.

Damn, so much to consider and work out. Just one step in front of the other, yes?

Oh, and I am handy around the kitchen. Does anybody know where I can find great recipes?

Level 1 Draenei N00b

STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Challenge | Group: Full Metal Penguins

Favor the road traveled by few.

Ah, a fellow carb fiend. I feel your pain! 

Even if you don't plan on going paleo, Marks Daily Apple, The Spunky Coconut and Our Full Plate have some excellent recipies that you can utilize that might make your life tastier. I'm not a big fan of veggies either, but I've found a few sauces on those websites that make them pretty tasty. They also have a plethora of slow cooker meals if your pressed for time, and even some gluten free, high protein pastry things that taste pretty awesome :-)

As an ex chef, I've got some cooking mojo; if there are any recipes that you absolutely can't live without, send them my way and I can probably find ways to make them healthier for you. 

Hope this helps! 

Heh. Carb fiend.

*doo dedoo doo be doo* Oh? What's this? Carbs?! OMNOMNOMNOMNOM! OOOOOOMNOMNOMNOMNOM!!!

I will look those sites up. Finding some new yummy things to try is going to be fun!

Also, in my mind, a shoe is a shoe is a shoe is a shoe, which I know is wrong, but I only get a new pair of shoes when the old pair is worn out beyond recognition. What makes a shoe a good walking shoe?

Level 1 Draenei N00b

STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Challenge | Group: Full Metal Penguins

Favor the road traveled by few.