Forums are back in action! ×

Wannabe ranger, checking in!

Hey nerds!

I used to lurk here like 2 years ago, but recently remembered that NF has a forum, and I'd like to finally get involved here. I'm a skinny-nerd-runner-cyclist by trade, but I'd like to put on some muscle while continuing to do stupid amounts of cardio.

My ultimate goal is to look good as I cross the Ironman Louisville finish line in 2014!

I suck at swimming and everything flexibility related, so I'm going to concentrate on those while continuing to do SL 5x5 (been doing for a few months now). I think the main thing holding me back is my lack of decent sleep and adequate calories. 

I look forward to interacting with you all :)

~Sean

Wood Elf - Level 1 Ranger

Blue Belt in pushups

STR: 2   DEX: 2   STA: 3   CON: 2   WIS: 3   CHA: 3 

flickrfacebook | blog

Welcome to the rebellion!

There are definitely lots of skinny nerds you can offer advice (not one of them, unfortunately), but that's awesome that you've been doing SL! Lack of sleep and not eating enough of the right stuff is definitely no good for gains, so that sounds like a great place to potentially focus on next challenge.

Storytelling Rebel
| Blog | Twitter

"“You've seen my descent, now watch my rising." ~ Rumi

Welcome!  I'm relatively new here, but I think we have some stuff in common.  I am a female cyclist (raced a little in grad schoool) who has been lifting since Feb.  Eating enough is HARD!  My cycling is built into my life and isn't going anywhere any time soon, so doing less cardio ain't gonna happen.  The trick is to be as strong as I can withough messing with my cycling.

Eat fat.  The cardio is a high cal slow burn, so you have some reserves when you leave the gym.

Also, hit the electrolytes hard.  No, Gatorade isn't paleo, but if you're sweating enough you're gonna need it.

Are you sepcifically doing tri or are you mostly a cyclist?

Thanks for the replies! I've been a recreational rider my whole life (just riding everywhere), but finally picked up a real road bike before last season, so I'm finally getting good enough to actually finish crits and fast group rides without getting dropped. I'm definitely going to focus on the tri though, rather than putting a majority of my training towards cycling. 

Everyone tells me to drop the running and biking, but that's just not going to happen. I'm hoping that I can just make up for the extra burned calories with just more food (SO HARD!) and more rest. Sounds like we have some of the same goals :)

Blue Belt in pushups

flickrfacebook | blog

hey... welcome to the rebellion!!

fellow biking nerd here (I have logged almost 400 miles since memorial day... and I am planning to do about 150ish next week!)

don't drop the biking and running if you love them... you can get strong and get some muscles while biking and running

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Thanks for the replies! I've been a recreational rider my whole life (just riding everywhere), but finally picked up a real road bike before last season, so I'm finally getting good enough to actually finish crits and fast group rides without getting dropped. I'm definitely going to focus on the tri though, rather than putting a majority of my training towards cycling. 

Everyone tells me to drop the running and biking, but that's just not going to happen. I'm hoping that I can just make up for the extra burned calories with just more food (SO HARD!) and more rest. Sounds like we have some of the same goals :)

Absolutely do not drop biking. If it's something you love, stick with it! As alienjenn said, you might just need to up food intake.

When I found out my road bike had a crack in the head tube I was heartbroken. I loved cycling. Hoping to get a new one after graduation since my stipend doesn't really let me budget for a new bike. I have two MS 150s under my belt and had been planning to do the one in Jersey and the canal path here in the MD area before I got the bad news.

Storytelling Rebel
| Blog | Twitter

"“You've seen my descent, now watch my rising." ~ Rumi

I've biked the canal path in MD while doing a long tour last summer--it was great! I hope you do get a new bike after graduation...cycling is just one of those things in life that makes me so happy.

Blue Belt in pushups

flickrfacebook | blog

I've biked the canal path in MD while doing a long tour last summer--it was great! I hope you do get a new bike after graduation...cycling is just one of those things in life that makes me so happy.
I recently found the canal path (we did dam 5 to paw paw and back over the fourth of July holiday) it was Awesome!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Archived