Forums are back in action! ×

My Introduction - Or, My Bid to Turn Awesome

I really am terrible at writing these things, but here goes....

I'm 42 and live in Virginia.  I'm a .Net programmer and work for a DoD contracting company in DC.  I'm also pursuing my Master's Degree in Software Engineering.  

I have had an on-off relationship with working out.  I've always liked lifting, but eventually something comes along and I've gotten derailed in my program.  I get sick.  I get busy or frustrated at work.  Blah, blah, blah.  These always translate into excuses not to work out.  

After my first marriage imploded, I got my weight down to 180 and was hoping to get it back down to between 165 and 175.  Um...that didn't happen.  Got married and over the past 11 years, I've gotten my weight up to 250 and Type II diabetes.  So...where do we go from here....I made the determination that I was sick of being fat.  I was sick of not being happy with myself.  I was also not happy with myself ignoring the diabetes thing and watching it get worse.  With the history of diabetes *and* heart attacks in my family, I really don't think that I can afford to let things go too much longer before I enter into some scary territory.  

This past week, I started getting up at 5:30 in the morning and walking.  I have also started working out in the garage with my sandbags.  I also have kettlebells as well.  Unfortunately, yesterday I went a little too heavy on the kettlebells and worked my hamstrings and lower back too much.  This morning's walk was the walk from hell; partly because I didn't stretch my hamstrings out.  Fun.

Anyway,  what are my goals?  Ideally, to lose 50 pounds or at least if we're not paying attention to the scale to lose about 4 inches around my middle.  Currently, I'm trying to give up soft drinks and drink more plain water.  Have I given them up completely?  No.  However, this past week, I only have had two instead of traditional 1 - 2 a day.  I have tried to really up my protein and eat good carbs like lettuces in salad, vegetables, sweet potatoes, etc.  I'm trying to be realistic and optimistic and do something while also trying to not get massive frustrated and impatient.  At this point, I really don't see failure as an option.

I'm looking forward to being active in the community.  Thanks for reading.

- Robert

Welcome and congratulations on taking the first steps! 

We have almost identical stories. I am 42 and also had an on again, off again relationship with working out. My collection of workout DVD's is quite impressive. They are also in near mint condition because they got played once or twice before something derailed the effort. When my son was born 2 years ago, I weighed 235 and my cholesterol was at the point my doctor wanted to put me on medicine. I was drinking 3 - 4 diet cokes a day (and sometimes 2 Red Bulls on top of that). The first thing I did was drop the soda (replaced with black coffee because the caffeine withdrawal headaches are terrible) and that took off almost 10 by itself. I started getting up early and working out, but the sheer effort of getting out of bed left very little willpower to push myself in the morning. Then I discovered this site and it helped changed everything. 

Keep doing something as often as you can. Steve's articles on this site have helped me see that I am not going to wake up tomorrow and be in perfect shape. We didnt get heavy overnight and we wont get in shape overnight. Slight changes over time will be what gets us there!

Keep it up! Stay active on these boards, the people here have been very helpful to me and they will be to you too! 

Lvl 8 ◠Half-Elf breaking free of an Ogre’s body ◠Ranger
STR 11.5; DEX 2; STA 19.5; CON 13; WIS 13; CHA 5
Fire Flower Power-up
“Things Do Not Happen. Things Are Made to Happen†– John F. Kennedy

My current challenge

2014 - My Year of Badassery (Battle Log)

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

#1; #2; #3; #4, #5, #6, #7, #8

Welcome! And congrats on taking the first (and hardest) step! I see you are a warrior.....excellent (said in best Mr Burns voice).

I can't wait to see what kind of success you have!!

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Sorry for the long delay in replying.  I'm doing my Master's degree and I'm a web programmer, so I have found that I have a tendency to stay away from the keyboard when I come home.  I know for some programmers that's blasphemy, but sometimes you need a break.

I hear you on the soda and, from what I've read, diet drinks are the worst.  The artificial sweeteners really mess with your body's hormones and sugar levels.  Some people think that diet sodas are a significant contributor to Type II diabetes.  I know that I had to even give up drinks like Crystal Lite because I noticed that my blood sugar would spike are drinking them.  I've been working pretty hard on trying to drink straight water.  

Steve's is a great writer and I do enjoy his articles.  

Anyway, thanks again for the welcome!

- Robert

Welcome and congratulations on taking the first steps! 

We have almost identical stories. I am 42 and also had an on again, off again relationship with working out. My collection of workout DVD's is quite impressive. They are also in near mint condition because they got played once or twice before something derailed the effort. When my son was born 2 years ago, I weighed 235 and my cholesterol was at the point my doctor wanted to put me on medicine. I was drinking 3 - 4 diet cokes a day (and sometimes 2 Red Bulls on top of that). The first thing I did was drop the soda (replaced with black coffee because the caffeine withdrawal headaches are terrible) and that took off almost 10 by itself. I started getting up early and working out, but the sheer effort of getting out of bed left very little willpower to push myself in the morning. Then I discovered this site and it helped changed everything. 

Keep doing something as often as you can. Steve's articles on this site have helped me see that I am not going to wake up tomorrow and be in perfect shape. We didnt get heavy overnight and we wont get in shape overnight. Slight changes over time will be what gets us there!

Keep it up! Stay active on these boards, the people here have been very helpful to me and they will be to you too! 

Archived