Forums are back in action! ×

believe it or not, but this is me...

Hey dudes and dudines,

This is McGurgel (rl Rene) from (currently) sunny Germany, Hamburg and since Feb. 2013 my girlfriend and I falling in love with fitness. We are both 23 years old and I am a passionate musician.

I’m joining the rebellion for 3 reasons:

1. We are going to be healthy and the blog and community are good inspirations for us. :)
  2. I want to practice my English. Actually reading is no problem for me, but I need to practice writing / talking. So feel free to correct me. ;)
  3. I want to find a nice community. Combining nerd(ness) and fitness. How cool is that? We really don’t have something similar in Ger. We just have these “wow-my-penis-is-so-small-so-I-grow-bigger-muscles-boardsâ€. You know. ;)

Me/us in person:

As I already told you, I am nearly 24 years old (fuck I’m getting old) and living in Hamburg, Ger together with my girlfriend. I’m absolutely in love with music (especially Metal) and I play in a Melodic Death Metal Band called Witches’ Cauldron.  I am the guy on the Guitar and Mic. ;)

Since my 11th birthday I constantly gaining weight until I reached 202.8lbs(92kg) on 72in(183cm) height this January. (… this converting sucks, why don’t you use the only real metric system? :tongue:)

My girlfriend has the same problem as me and we tried more than once to lose weight, get in shape and so on. But unfortunately we never made it over the first 2 – 3 weeks.

But February this year was different. I found a lovely page in the web, which really helped me to understand my/our body (no it wasn’t nerdfitness ;) ).

It took us a week to make plans for our nutrition and training. Then we started and this time it felt different.

We quickly gained strength and simply felt better. And we persevered.

Before we both were in a really bad shape.

E.g. generally my bands rehearsals took 6h straight (with some short pauses of course) and after 2h I always had bad dorsal pain. But after 2 weeks training I had no problems anymore.

Another example was my circulation. Singing (yes screaming and growling are singing techniques) requires a lot of pressure and strength in your stomach. When I did a long scream I often felt dizzy and once I really got unconscious while rehearsal! oO

But since February all that was gone. (well of course it took a little longer, but you know what I mean)

We really got passionate about our bodies, how we can shape them and all that theory stuff. We motivated each other to go on. And it worked until a certain point.

In June we decided to enter the gym, because our home training wasn’t that effective anymore. (we just had a 2 short-barbells with different max-weight)

Our trainer advised us to first lose weight and after that gain muscles, because otherwise our muscles will vanish under our fat and we will look “bigger†than before. We thought that make sense and started to train with lighter weights and 20reps. Meanwhile we decided to begin a low-carb diet.

What a pain in the ass. Not the diet, the training. I really like to lift heavy weights (at least for me they are heavy xD), I like the pain. Shit in March we tried Heavy Duty with ultra-slow reps until our muscles stopped to work. But this 20reps on 3 sets… well we hated it. But fortunately we had us. We motivated each other, we kicked each other’s ass  and we did it. 6 weeks until last Friday.

I lost 17.6lbs (8kg) meanwhile she didn’t really lost any weight, but simply looked thinner. You know?

Now we started to eat carbs again and began a new plan called WKM. (Don’t know if it’s called the same in engl.)

It is based on 3 different sets per day with 3 exercises each day. Each exercise use more than on joint like push-ups or squats and finally again, heavy-weights with 8-12 reps. :D

To be continued… ;)

Wow, congrats if you really made it through this wall of text. If you skipped it, never mind I know it’s a lot. ;)

We are really looking forward for our new life.

I hope I (or maybe we) will find new inspiration here and well,  we’ll see. ;)

Stay tuned!

McGurgel

Eat Clean, Train Dirty

My first challenge

Hey Gopedjane. thanks, i'm glad you liked it. (it took me a while^^)

Yeah you're right, it makes the difference. perhaps without her i would have given it up allready and maybe so would she. ;)

together we are strong!

well in his theory, because the muscles growing under the fat, we will look fatter.

until a certain point i think he might be right. But in the end I agree with you. More muscles means burning more calories. That's what we are doing now. :)

Eat Clean, Train Dirty

My first challenge

Wow, guys. Sounds like you're already well on the way to achieving your goal of making healthy living choices, and you seem really motivated. Keep up the good work.

It's a pain in the ass trying to change everything to pounds, huh? I use kgs and just don't have a clue when people say "I can bench xxxlbs". It always sounds like a lot though! :D

I'm with you on lifting heavy, it's AWESOME!!!! ;)

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously