Forums are back in action! ×

What these changes have done for ME

6 weeks ago, I committed to going Paleo. I did so at the recommendation of a friend, and after doing some serious research on natural ways to deal with fibromyalgia and migraines.

6 weeks ago, I would curl up,on the couch at the end of every day and cry because my body hurt so much. Think DOMS x 3, only you hadn't really done anything to earn the pain. Something as simple as steam cleaning my carpets would send me to bed with muscle spasms. Some days I could do stuff, some days I couldn't.

More and more often, I was telling my kids, "I'm sorry, not today. Mommy hurts too much." I was short with my students and coworkers. I had been on and off at least 7 prescription meds, some with serious side effects.

This is what ketogenic Paleo and GENTLE exercise (still working on a single circuit of BBWW until my form is good, then will go to two - DOMS are not good for me, and the flares I have had since starting are generally due to pushing myself too hard, too fast) has done for me:

1) I have had 2 migraines in the last six weeks, both of which turned out to be from bananas. This is down from at least 2 a week, despite being on topomax.

2). I have only curled up on the couch and cried twice. Both times were from pushing the exercise too hard.

3) I did three days of Cub Scout day camp with one son, and kept up.

4) I have taken the kids to an indoor trampoline park (one of the overdo days), the La Brea Tar Pits/Museum of Art (another overdo day), and the water park. I have played WITH them, and not sat and watched.

5) I no longer spend hours playing stupid Facebook games, or engaging in FB drama.

6) I am remembering how much I love cooking, and therefore feeding my family better as well.

The pounds and inches part? Icing on the cake.

Food IS medicine. At my next appointment, the topomax goes away. I am hoping that as I progress on the body weight work, my muscles will stop twitching randomly and spasming , and then the Klonapen can go away. NSAIDS are no longer required every day.

Life is really, really good, and I have a feeling it is only going to get better.

Level 2 Halfling Adventurer

Strength 1 Dexterity 1 Stamina 3 Constitution 4 Wisdom 3 Charisma 2

Current Challenge Thread

First Challenge Thread

Fit to Eat: my posts on the Sweatpants & Coffee Site

That is so wonderful. You made my eyes leak a bit with that. :nevreness:  I am so glad to hear how much things are improving. Hoping this challenge is even better!

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

My step mum has fibro myalgia, I never thought about talking to her about trying the paleo diet. She's in constant pain, so it's worth a shot. How long did it take until you noticed any improvement?

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

I've told my step mum about it. Don't know if she'll try it or not, she won't give up smoking even though the docs said it might help, so not sure if she'd be prepared to completely change her diet. I think it's totally worth trying.

Couldn't agree more about food being medicine. Since going paleo myself I haven't had any of my "usual" stomach problems, no bloating, no pain. I feel great!

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

I switched to e cigs for this challenge with the goal of getting rid of all nicotine in 6 weeks. Seemed pretty stupid to have an obsessively clean diet and still be smoking. But I took on food first, then exercise, then the smoking. It is still a lot. I want to have as much of this routinized as possible when I go back to work on the 26th.

Level 2 Halfling Adventurer

Strength 1 Dexterity 1 Stamina 3 Constitution 4 Wisdom 3 Charisma 2

Current Challenge Thread

First Challenge Thread

Fit to Eat: my posts on the Sweatpants & Coffee Site

I'm a little late to the party but congratulations - that sounds like an amazing improvement.  

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

Inspired. That's what you just made me feel. I'm so pleased to hear how a paleo diet is helping to improve your life. My mother-in-law-to-be also has fibromyalgia, and she's an all day kind of cooker who already buys organic. I'm wondering now if maybe I should talk to her about the benefits of paleo. Keep up your phenomenal work. You're getting healthier every day, and that is truly amazing. Live long and happy, that's my wish for you.  :joyous:

♦ Paleo Warrior Princess â™¦

Lvl 0 Dwarven Adventurer

( Aspiring Mini-Amazon Assassin )

STR 0|DEX 0|STA 0|CON 0|WIS 0|CHA 0

Every day I'm Challengin': #1

“I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.â€
- Michelangelo Buonarroti